Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County vs Livi 23/10
If last Satuday's game really was a "need to win" game this is now a "must win" game. We were absolutely honking in the first half and better in the second but the second goal was terrible by Clarke, Callachan and AMB (two lost men and a flap) and the third just beggared belief.

I'd go with something like:

Laidlaw

B. Paton
Iacovitti
Donaldson
Clarke

Spittal
H. Paton
Cancola
Hungbo/RCC

D. Samuel (dropping into the 10 role)
White

Callachan isn't firing at all, Alex Samuel offered nothing last week and we really need the points so try 2 up front with Samuel dropping back to help similar to how Curran used to work with Boyce. Can't decide on Hungbo/RCC on the left, Hungbo is faster and stronger but RCC may be needed to counter Devlin's pace down the left as he'll have Ben Paton on toast if he has the chance.

I see you've included the forgotten man Donaldson in that lineup, couple of interesting stats re Donaldson.
We haven't conceded a penalty since he's been kept out of the team, the flip side is, last time he played was also the last time we kept a clean sheet.
I certainly don't rate Baldwin, but I think I'd rather see Randall back in , with Clarke back in the centre.
Laidlaw surely has to be given the start after m-bs last 2 games.
Agree with your comment about Callaghan, looks like the results are getting to him and affecting his confidence.
I like hungbo and he deserves to start, I wonder how he would get on if he was played in a no 9 position?

Livi will be well up for this after wiping the floor with st Johnstone away from home, so Malky needs to get his selection/tactics right for the beginning of the game, and not just for the 2nd half when it's too late.

Fail to win this and we'll have gone the first round of fixtures without a home win. Mackay talked a good game about using the international break to make things click before promptly losing to St Mirren. Maybe this will be the game it all comes together, but he's sounding increasingly like a snake oil salesman. How long does Roy give it before he sees if anyone else can do a better job?

Forfinn Wrote:Fail to win this and we'll have gone the first round of fixtures without a home win. Mackay talked a good game about using the international break to make things click before promptly losing to St Mirren. Maybe this will be the game it all comes together, but he's sounding increasingly like a snake oil salesman. How long does Roy give it before he sees if anyone else can do a better job?

Im sure the long term plan is supposed to be for don cowie to take over 18-24 months down the line, probably too soon for cowie imo.

(10-19-2021, 05:48 PM)Westhillstaggies Wrote: Im sure the long term plan is supposed to be for don cowie to take over 18-24 months down the line, probably too soon for cowie imo.
That's what Coyle said the plan was for him and Kettlewell after he got the sack and Kettlewell got the job later.

Long-term plans are one thing, but you can't entirely sacrifice progress in the short-term. I remember when Derek Adams went to Hibs as assistant he was supposed to be the long-term successor to Colin Calderwood. Things went so badly under Calderwood that the atmosphere was too toxic for Adams to take over when he left. Not suggesting the same would happen here (Cowie has unlimited credit in the bank with County fans, in marked contrast to his boss) but it's something to be wary of. Not to mention that Mackay might get us relegated in the meantime.

Laidlaw
Randall (if fit)
Clarke
Iacovitti
Vokins (if fit)
Hungbo
Cancola
H.paton
Charles cook
Spittal
D.Samuel

Time for a change in line up and hopefully a change in fortune , mackay can’t be far from the boot if we lose this one

It's worrying that this far into the season, we genuinely have next to no idea of what our best lineup should be. Quality seems so lacking accross the board. Is there anyone we'd consider a "first name on the teamsheet" kinda player? Clarke if he was being played in the right place maybe? RCC and Spittal next just because they've had a handful of semi-decent games? I genuinely couldn't even attempt to throw a lineup at this one.

It doesn't help of course that I can't see any real tactics or gameplan at the moment. The formation is fairly clear, but beyond that I'm at a loss to what we're trying to do.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(10-19-2021, 04:31 PM)Westhillstaggies Wrote: I see you've included the forgotten man Donaldson in that lineup, couple of interesting stats re Donaldson.
We haven't conceded a penalty since he's been kept out of the team, the flip side is, last time he played was also the last time we kept a clean sheet.
I certainly don't rate Baldwin, but I think I'd rather see Randall back in , with Clarke back in the centre.
Laidlaw  surely has to be given  the start after m-bs last 2 games.

Donaldson is actually a decent defender when his head's in the game. I certainly think he wouldn't duck headers and slip for the first.

As for Randall, I think he's a c-grade Marcus Fraser. Would rather Clarke stayed out there as he's not a natural there but can actually cross.

Maybe I'm still seething that we thought Randall was a better option to keep than Naismith.

I think i'd rather Watson over Donaldson if I'm honest. I also wonder how Hungbo would get on up front with White? The classic little and large combs could work there. Hungbo's raw pace would cause havoc.

Laidlaw

Burroughs
Clarke
Iacovitti
Ben Paton

Spittal
Harry Paton
Tilson
RCC

Hungbo
White

Interesting to note that last time we kept a clean sheet (vs St Johnstone) we played 3-5-2. Could that be an option?

Laidlaw

Clarke
Watson
Iacovitti

Burroughs RWB
B. Paton LWB

Tilson
H. Paton
Spittal

Hungbo
White

Not sure there’s 90 mins in Watson. Starting to show age related frailties. Also I think we have issues with both our keepers and is an area we really need to try and strengthen. Considering our results have been mince then Hungbo definitely deserves a run in the team. I think the policy of bringing in mediocre loan deals has been a failed experiment so far. However, McGregor is not shy with early intervention when results dictate the necessity!
I see Steve Bruce is now available Tongue

This game went from must not lose a few weeks ago to being must win.
Our performances have been chronic and it seems to be a similar story most weeks.
I'd line us up like this:
Laidlaw

Randall (if fit)
Clarke
Iacovitti
B Paton

Tilson
Spittal
Callachan

Hungbo
RCC
White

There's no goals in that team or on our bench really maybe aside from Spittal who seems like he's having an okay season.
If we lose this game Roy surely has to sack the manager, He's been hopeless in his recruitment for the most part and we've not won a game.
Can see a 1-1 draw coming if I'm honest.

its not surprising with the way the season is going that we have no idea of our strongest line up.
Both keepers have had challenges, the defence making mistakes, the forwards packing no punch.
The midfield goes unmentioned but I struggle there too. Spittal stands out because he scores and creates something.
Harry Paton stands out because he gives the ball away and fouls a lot - whilst he puts himself about I do see him as maybe the biggest liability around our own box. Tilson, Callachan and Cancola are pretty anonymous.
In the last game the defence got battered for an hour but what did they have in front of them?
I'd change the keeper for this game, I think Laidlaw at least adds an element of calmness. I hoping Vokins will be fit, if not then probably put Paton in there. Clarke needs to be in the middle.
Midfield, obviously Spittal, I might be tempted to try Burroughs as he looked fine against Hibs. RCC and Hungbo. Upfront D Samuel and White, Samuel took his disallowed goal well at Motherwell and I've not seen much else from the alternatives.

Whoever is out there, they are going to need to stand strong for half hour. Livi will come and look to get at us early when they know we will be feeling fragile. If we are not losing after 30, we will win!!

Is Ben paton or Jack Burroughs ever going to get the chance in their natural position of centre midfield? Malky has been caught out big time by not adding back up full backs in the transfer window

(10-21-2021, 11:44 AM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: Is Ben paton or Jack Burroughs ever going to get the chance in their natural position of centre midfield? Malky has been caught out big time by not adding back up full backs in the transfer window
Recruitment in general this summer was shocking when you look at it. We will need to strengthen heavily again in January. Signing strikers who are renowned for not scoring anywhere they've been is a major own goal, pardon the pun.

Paton has looked the best in the left back position out of the two from what I've seen but we need another two full backs in ASAP.

This will be my first game in person since the Rangers game, due to other commitments. Plain and simple, it’s a must win match.

Can anyone advise, will the vaccine passport app be needed for entry?

(10-22-2021, 06:34 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: This will be my first game in person since the Rangers game, due to other commitments. Plain and simple, it’s a must win match.

Can anyone advise, will the vaccine passport app be needed for entry?
No. Only for crowds of 10,000 and over.

(10-22-2021, 09:22 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: No. Only for crowds of 10,000 and over.

cheers

Zero confidence for a result today. I hope they surprise me but doubt it.

In the Ross-shire this week the manager " is still looking higher up the table than a relegation battle " and we can only admire is optimism on that score. However if we end the first round of fixtures winless who can deny we're in a fight for survival, so today and the midweek game against Dundee are must wins, even draws are becoming "pointless".

We need a settled team, and we need to cut out stupid mistakes.

In all the over the top racist criticism of the manager and his defence by people like myself, have we let slip through the fact that he just isn't up to the task of propelling our chairman's hopes forward and that like Owen Coyle, his best days as a manager were long ago ? The next two games are really crucial ( we said that about last week's too and look at the first half shambles !)