Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Poll: How will Ross County finish the season?
Champions
3.57%
1 3.57%
European places
0%
0 0%
Top six
10.71%
3 10.71%
Comfortable bottom six
28.57%
8 28.57%
Relegation battle (with survival)
25.00%
7 25.00%
Play-off winner
17.86%
5 17.86%
Play-off loser
3.57%
1 3.57%
Bottom
10.71%
3 10.71%
Total 28 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Start of season expectations
Question 
A new league season approaches and rarely have we seen such a tumultuous summer at Ross County. Where do you think we'll end up come May?

With the current squad I can't see us doing better than 11th. If players are brought in this may go up but with virtually any injury right now we're knackered, If Laidlaw, Spittal or White are out....yikes.

Top half finish , 6th Wink

Flawed signing policy we could be cast a drift before "new team" settles in.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(07-27-2021, 06:49 PM)gudgie67 Wrote: Flawed signing policy we could be cast a drift  before "new team" settles in.
You are confusing us with Celtic.

I feel we are about 3 sandwiches short of a picnic.

2 solid defenders one of which must be commander ie Captain material and a penalty box striker.
Perhaps steo up young Wright? He certainly has talent. Would love to see Grivosti back fully fit and fighting for a place too.

Midfield is strong with diverse talents perhaps just lacking a sprinter (RCC will need to up his game to fill that role but best of luck to him)

Laidlaw sound in goal and Ross Munro learning his trade well.

I think we can hold our own against the Dundee teams, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Livingston and maybe Hearts too. The others will be a struggle but we might just pick up some points here and there.

Mid table finish , just above the squeaky bum fight.

(07-27-2021, 08:11 PM)Brick on the wall Wrote: I feel we are about 3 sandwiches short of a picnic.

2 solid defenders one of which must be commander ie Captain material and a penalty box striker.
Perhaps steo up young Wright? He certainly has talent. Would love to see Grivosti back fully fit and fighting for a place too.

Midfield is strong with diverse talents perhaps just lacking a sprinter (RCC will need to up his game to fill that role but best of luck to him)

Laidlaw sound in goal and Ross Munro learning his trade well.

I think we can hold our own against the Dundee teams, St Johnstone, St Mirren, Livingston and maybe Hearts too. The others will be a struggle but we might just pick up some points here and there.

Mid table finish , just above the squeaky bum fight.

I admire your confidence, I really do. For me though, we desperately need to strengthen. I'm not convinced we can 'hold our own' over the course of a season with half those clubs you have mentioned as is. A number of key players at the end of last season have left, and our squad is looking fragile at best.

I'll reserve judgement on the guys that have come in, I've only watched the Brora game so far this season and that was uninspiring to say the least. Vokins at least looks like a willing full back, Robertson I don't know much about. I hope that Cancola can make an impact because I don't buy the hype around Paton that some County fans like to peddle. Too often he gets caught on the ball and loses possession. Maybe his GC experience with Canada will help him push on, but I'd be a little concerned if we ended up relying on him heavily this season. As for RCC, he just hasn't got going at County yet and for all he's the 'sprinter' you are looking for, it's no use if he can't trap a bag of cement.

Let's hope Laidlaw has as strong a start to this season as he finished last season, because I fear we're going to need him on top form.

Don't mean to put a dampner on proceedings, and I like to class myself as an optimistic County fan but with less than a week to go until we play StJ I don't share the view that we are 'strong' in any position yet. If we do somehow see these signings that RMcG was talking about almost 2 weeks ago then I'd feel a little better, although the chances of any of them being match fit at this stage is minimal. Genuinely worried about what state we might be in come the game against Hearts in September.
Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili

"Freedom Is Best, I Tell Thee True, Of All Things To Be Won.
Then Never Live Within The Bonds Of Slavery My Son" William Wallace (1270-1305)

(07-27-2021, 10:03 PM)central staggie Wrote: I don't buy the hype around Paton that some County fans like to peddle. Too often he gets caught on the ball and loses possession. Maybe his GC experience with Canada will help him push on, but I'd be a little concerned if we ended up relying on him heavily this season. 

Paton keeps wanting to take a touch too many when he has the ball, we lose the ball a lot from him over complicating things.

I don't think we should expect too much in the way of points from the first 6 fixtures, the few signings we've made so far are good players, but will need a few games to settle in.

Callaghan will be better than vigurs and score more
Samuel should score more than billy Mackay
Spittal will bring the excitement we felt with gardyne and will play and score more than he did last season
Vokins will be better than hjejde
Robertson could be what we've missed since Jackson Irvine
Lacovetti will be better than last season and score more
I'm confident safety will be secured long before it was last season and the overhaul will be justified.

Can't even get a venison pie at a game this season now, just delete this season from my memory already.