Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Keep, punt, undecided
Now the season is over and we have secured safety it’s time to get down to planning next seasons squad , for a bit of fun what your verdict on the squad and who should we punt and who should be kept.

Ross Laidlaw- keep , been great this season after some ropey performances in the past 

Joe Hilton- undecided , hasn’t kicked a ball for us so can’t say either way

Ross Munro- keep, loan out again

Connor Randall- keep, this was borderline as his performances have been ok but been injured a lot can’t         see us getting many better options as a back up right back

Jason Naismith- keep at all costs!!

Keith Watson- keep as he’s decent cover at centre back and can also cover right back

Tom Grivosti- keep as he’s decent but it’s last chance saloon with his injuries

Coll Donaldson- keep as he has been decent recently but would have him as back up

Callum Morris- undecided, if fit he’s good but that is rare these days I’d probably punt but I like him as a player so wouldn’t mind him staying

Alex Iacovitti- keep , been consistent with the odd lapse thrown in but generally good enough normally

Leo Hjelde- keep, hopefully buy him if possible and play him centre back he’s some player for his age and will only get better

Carl Tremarco- punt, can’t fault his effort but he’s perma crocked and not good enough for this level

Mohamed Maouche- undecided, hasn’t played at all for us

Stephen Kelly- keep but needs to up his game , there’s definitely a player there

Harry Paton- keep but probably only as a sub

Blair spittal- keep he’s been great since returning

Ross Draper- undecided, I like him as a player but Hughes doesn’t seem to, if he doesn’t fit the system then may aswell punt him

Jordan Tillson- keep but only as a squad player

Tony andreu- punt 

Reagan Charles-Cook- keep as a versatile squad player

Iain vigurs- keep, really shown his class recently and proud to call him our captain

Charlie Lakin- keep and play him more really like his style of play

Jermaine Hylton- keep and play him more he’s hardly put a foot wrong for us

Michael Gardyne- keep but phase him out and use as an impact sub sadly all good things come to an end

Oli Shaw- keep and play more he’s found the net when given a chance 

Billy McKay- keep as an option from the bench

Jordan white- keep, he’s been awesome and adds so much more than just goals very impressed after being underwhelmed at the time of the signing

It's important to judge this sort of thing over the course of the whole season, opposed to these final few games.

For example, someone like Vigurs who you said you're proud to call captain. The lad came into the season nearly a stone and a half overweight. That isn't captain material. His performances for the majority of the season have been utterly honking. Thankfully he found some form when it mattered, but even then some of his passing has been poor. His legs are starting to go now, he recorded five yellow cards in seven games and most of them were due to him being unable to keep up the pace anymore. He is someone we should be trying to phase out.

In an ideal world, I would let go of at least half of those names above, but realistically Hughes (or whoever comes in) will keep around 3/4 as it difficult enough bedding in three or four players, trying to create a new squad from scratch is virtually impossible.

One other thing, Kelly can get so far to [censored].

The problem with this is that almost every player has had spells where they've looked okay, but others where they've been appalling. Even White has had games where he's borderline unplayable (Dundee United) and others where he's a waste of a shirt.

We've conceded so many goals and it's not just the center backs, the midfield in front too often just lets runners through without matching them.

If we could get Lakin and Hjelde back on loan, I'd be quite happy.

I'd be reasonable okay if we shaped up like this:

Laidlaw

Naismith
Morris
New CB
Hjlede/New LB

Grivosti

Paton/Lakin
Draper/Tilson
New RM
Hylton

Spittal/Mckay/Shaw

White

I think Vigurs and Midge will be retained but both will be more marginalized this season. The likes of Randall and Iacovitti may remain as backups but I'm not overly bothered if they do or don't. Iacovitti is another who has moments in attack but is horrifically slow and gives the full back next to him no support whatsoever.

(05-17-2021, 01:36 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: It's important to judge this sort of thing over the course of the whole season, opposed to these final few games.

For example, someone like Vigurs who you said you're proud to call captain. The lad came into the season nearly a stone and a half overweight. That isn't captain material. His performances for the majority of the season have been utterly honking. Thankfully he found some form when it mattered, but even then some of his passing has been poor. His legs are starting to go now, he recorded five yellow cards in seven games and most of them were due to him being unable to keep up the pace anymore. He is someone we should be trying to phase out.

In an ideal world, I would let go of at least half of those names above, but realistically Hughes (or whoever comes in) will keep around 3/4 as it difficult enough bedding in three or four players, trying to create a new squad from scratch is virtually impossible.

In my opinion vigurs was often scapegoated for getting yellows and reds whereas in reality the whole team was honking , I’m not saying he was good but definitely wasn’t as bad as some were making out , without him in the last two games we’d be in the playoffs at best , his display against Hamilton in particular was immense he managed to break up countless attacks and keep us on the front foot especially in the 2nd half

I wonder if Roy thinks yogi has done enough to offer him another contract? He'll need to do it soon.
Can see caley stepping in and offering him the job, now that robbo has moved upstairs.

(05-17-2021, 06:16 PM)Westhillstaggies Wrote: I wonder if Roy thinks yogi has done enough to offer him another contract? He'll need to do it soon.
Can see caley stepping in and offering him the job, now that robbo has moved upstairs.

Nah! Jim MacIntyre is the favourite for the Caley job.

(05-17-2021, 01:36 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: It's important to judge this sort of thing over the course of the whole season, opposed to these final few games.

This comment from Vigurs through to Kelly is laughable. Did you go round to Vigurs house and weigh him did you?? Come on what a load of nonsense you are writing on here. You clearly just don't like the guy, and kelly has been a solid performer. Go and learn something about football will you.

(05-17-2021, 10:36 PM)Johnr Wrote: This comment from Vigurs through to Kelly is laughable. Did you go round to Vigurs house and weigh him did you?? Come on what a load of nonsense you are writing on here. You clearly just don't like the guy, and kelly has been a solid performer. Go and learn something about football will you.

Are you one of the guys who keeps voting Kelly as our best player on the BBC player rater? He rarely gets below a 9 every match he plays.

(05-18-2021, 09:41 AM)Diotor Wrote: Are you one of the guys who keeps voting Kelly as our best player on the BBC player rater? He rarely gets below a 9 every match he plays.

No not at all, i said he's a solid a solid performer, and i don't rate on those because it's not a true reflection of the actual ratings the players should be getting. Kelly has put in solid performances, but nothing special in the slightest, but he's still young and has a good football brain.

Look i've noticed on here that people will usually only praise a local lad regardless of their performances so I like to call out the cr*p that some people put on here. I defend Vigurs because he has been way over criticised on here by the same culprits, and it's not based on football. He has to play a perfect game for people to not say anything about him. People go on about his yellows, look through the stats, most players in the league with the most yellows play exactly the same position, and as you go lower in the table standings the higher the card count is for those positions (people do your research and understand it). Its the nature of the position and the nature of being in a team that is usually chasing games. People also go on about his passing which is hilarious because he is the best passer of the ball in that team by a country mile. But because he doesn't run about like a headless chicken he deemed past it. If a player plays for county, it's because they are not a perfect player, if they were, they would be playing for a better team, so why our fans get on our players backs when they are playing at a level that you would expect from a team of county's size is ridiculous. Some fans need to realise you're watching and supporting county, not a top elite team. Obviously people have the right to an opinion on a player, but on here it's rarely because of actual football reasons, and more just a dislike with blinkers on.

(05-17-2021, 08:10 PM)MOGO Wrote: Nah! Jim MacIntyre is the favourite for the Caley job.
do not care for the tinks but would not wish Macintyre on any one

(05-18-2021, 07:41 PM)county AML Wrote: do not care for the tinks but would not wish Macintyre on any one

bit harsh he pulled us out the relegation battle then took us to our first major silverware

(05-17-2021, 10:36 PM)Johnr Wrote: This comment from Vigurs through to Kelly is laughable. Did you go round to Vigurs house and weigh him did you?? Come on what a load of nonsense you are writing on here. You clearly just don't like the guy, and kelly has been a solid performer. Go and learn something about football will you.

I liked Vigurs when he concentrated on, on the pitch matters. Not getting himself nicked outside pubs. The shape he came back in after pre-season was laughable. You can see it in his general performances, he has slowed up considerably. 

Kelly has been anything but solid, there is a reason why County have not taken up the opportunity to extend his loan for another season.

(05-19-2021, 10:39 AM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: I liked Vigurs when he concentrated on, on the pitch matters. Not getting himself nicked outside pubs. The shape he came back in after pre-season was laughable. You can see it in his general performances, he has slowed up considerably. 

Kelly has been anything but solid, there is a reason why County have not taken up the opportunity to extend his loan for another season.

You mean, outside a pub?
I would have been tempted to level the half-wit Caley supporter, who deliberately antagonised him.
Then had the audacity to brag about it on one of the social media sites.
Footballers should be allowed to enjoy their social life without being intimidated and attacked by so called supporters of other clubs.

(05-19-2021, 03:27 PM)MOGO Wrote: You mean, outside a pub?
I would have been tempted to level the half-wit Caley supporter, who deliberately antagonised him.
Then had the audacity to brag about it on one of the social media sites.
Footballers should be allowed to enjoy their social life without being intimidated and attacked by so called supporters of other clubs.

Don't put yourself in the situation if you can't control yourself after a drink.

(05-19-2021, 03:49 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: Don't put yourself in the situation if you can't control yourself after a drink.

Do you know how the situation went do you, were you there? 

I take it you are one of those people that clearly judge everyone else around you from your almighty high horse of perfection? 

You have confirmed my evaluation of your comments though, they clearly are based on him personally rather than his footballing ability. Your comments show no objectivity. 

As for the weight thing again, no body else, managers, pundits or media seemed to have noticed this extra stone and a half you claim to have noticed at the beginning of the season.

I can't find anything online on whether the club have taken that option or not on Kelly? Is this something you can provide reference of?

(05-19-2021, 06:13 PM)Johnr Wrote: Do you know how the situation went do you, were you there? 

I take it you are one of those people that clearly judge everyone else around you from your almighty high horse of perfection? 

You have confirmed my evaluation of your comments though, they clearly are based on him personally rather than his footballing ability. Your comments show no objectivity. 

As for the weight thing again, no body else, managers, pundits or media seemed to have noticed this extra stone and a half you claim to have noticed at the beginning of the season.

I can't find anything online on whether the club have taken that option or not on Kelly? Is this something you can provide reference of?

Yes I'm well aware of the situation.

You need to remember he is club captain, he is representing the club. That doesn't stop when he is out on the lash. He let himself down, and let the club down.

The management certainly noticed, it is why after those four initial games where we started fairly well he was then coming off after 70 minutes. He was completely done. Ask yourself, how many other captains are taken off with twenty minutes left? Let's not get into his disciplinary record this season, absolutely awful. A number of those cards were given because he simply cannot keep up with the pace anymore. 

As for Kelly, I doubt the club will announce anything official, probably a "thank you for your efforts" but he won't be back next season.

The incident was over two years ago and should have no bearing on whether he gets another contract, a night where he was out drinking things went wrong then the red mist decended , he made a mistake at the time, lets put it in the past and move forward.

I think he did well enough this season to warrant another contract.

(05-19-2021, 10:45 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: Yes I'm well aware of the situation.

You need to remember he is club captain, he is representing the club. That doesn't stop when he is out on the lash. He let himself down, and let the club down.

The management certainly noticed, it is why after those four initial games where we started fairly well he was then coming off after 70 minutes. He was completely done. Ask yourself, how many other captains are taken off with twenty minutes left? Let's not get into his disciplinary record this season, absolutely awful. A number of those cards were given because he simply cannot keep up with the pace anymore. 

As for Kelly, I doubt the club will announce anything official, probably a "thank you for your efforts" but he won't be back next season.

Wait a minute you are taking a dislike to Vigurs being captain because of something he did before he was even offered the captaincy??? He was offered the captaincy a season after that incident. So management and owner are happy to give captaincy to Vigurs (oh not to mention they were apparently happy to offer captaincy to someone " who came back a stone and a half overweight" as well...which is utter rubbish because they wouldn't have offered it to him if they thought he had come back unconditioned and overweight). Fact is you don't like Vigurs and it clearly annoys you that club and owner were happy to offer captaincy to Vigurs, of which they are in a far better position to make that judgement than you are, or ever will be. Get over yourself. 

You clearly are a bit bitter about the whole situation and your comments on Vigurs are nothing to do with footballing ability, but your own need to vent frustration at a club you support not falling in line with your views on how they select their captain. Your opinion on his footballing side of things have no weight as you have no objectivity or integrity. With that, no class to even admit without him we would have no one that can control a midfield and step up to the plate when it matters like he can. 

As for his yellow cards, get over it, it's a mans game and he plays a position in which you pick up a lot of cards for fouls, especially in a team that is chasing results, Power (who incidentally has loads of pace) who plays the same position for killie has almost the same amount because its the nature of the position. If you actually paid attention Vigurs got a chunk of his cards when his team mates lost possession, it's called taking one for the team, which again is the nature of a sitting midfielders role. Go watch something else if you want a non contact game. Here take a look below and you'll see the stats support what i say. Midfielders playing for teams in lower table standings have higher yellow card counts...also everyone in that list bar one or two are midfielders. So stop your whinging.

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....150&id=342]
Iain Vigurs
Ross County

17 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=64]
Alan Power
Kilmarnock

16 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....=65&id=332]
Marvin Bartley
Livingston

12 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....=65&id=339]
Ross Callachan
Hamilton Academical

11 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=63]
Calum Butcher
Dundee United

10 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=64]
Aaron Tshibola
Kilmarnock

9 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=58]
Joe Newell
Hibernian

9 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=60]
Lewis Ferguson
Aberdeen

9 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=67]
Alfredo Morelos
Rangers

8 yellows

[Image: image.php?secure=true&h=omo.akamai.opta....s=65&id=58]
Alexander Gogic
Hibernian

8 yellows

And yes i see captains in their 30's substituted all the time. Scott brown over the last two seasons to name one off the top of my head.

Wow! Wow!

Your argument for yellow cards is that football is a mans game? 2021, things have changed old boy. The sign of a good player isn't how many yellow cards they rack up over the course of a season.

As for the comparison with Alan Power (another past it jobber), I put my hands up, I forgot just how good a season Kilmarnock have had. Oh wait a minute.... On another note, as Vigurs has collected more yellow cards, I assume he has played more games than Power in the league this season? Could you have a check for me?

Scott Brown who Celtic have now released? Who if they replaced a year ago might have had a chance of retaining the league?