Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
St. Johnstone vs County 20/03
Final game of the regular season before the split.

Other fixtures:

Accies Vs St. Mirren
Killie vs Motherwell

Our relegation rivals will see this as a good chance to pick up points, so getting anything here would be beneficial. I believe St. Johnstone haven't beaten us since the tail end of Coyle's reign, so we have the form- and it's our game that we win if our win/lose form continues.

I'd take a 1-1 away from home, prevent any chance of us dropping down to 11th.

I think this one is wide open and will go to whoever wants it more.
Hopefully that's going to be us but I wouldn't sniff at a point here.
If we can win the games against Killie and Accies after the split then I think we at least avoid the automatic drop, one more win and I think we'll be safe.

Huge game , I’d rather not rely on having to beat both accies and Kilmarnock (again) and any points here would be worth there weight in gold , very achievable at st Johnstone will still have a cup hangover and not much else they can achieve between now and the end of the season , hope for this team

Laidlaw
Naismith Watson iacovitti hjelde
Spittal draper Lakin
McKay white Hylton

Very much doubt we will see something like that and will probably still play 5 at the back with Donaldson still in the team

A win for St Johnstone and any slip-up by St Mirren at Accies would put them in the top 6, so there's still plenty that they can achieve. They beat Hibs last time out, too, thus eradicating any notion of a cup hangover
While the notion of having 1 solitary "best" team and system is outdated, Hughes' frequent changes to the system and XI do still feel somewhat scattergun. That said, there's probably a case to be made for retaining the 5-3-2 (remembering the Van Gaal Principle) against St Johnstone, who'll line up in some variant of 3-4-3
Definitely think Draper is worth considering for this one to man-mark Murray Davidson (if fit) if nothing else
Conscious this might sound a bit "What have the Romans ever done for us?" but aside from his 2 goals White really has been an absolute waste of a wage since signing- even McKay's hold-up play v Hibs was significantly better. He needs binned from the starting XI ASAP- Shaw has so much more to his game if Hughes wants to continue with 2 strikers. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Hylton and/or Gardyne return- while Rooney isn't a very good footballer, it's probably not the worst idea to give him a direct opponent to think about defensively and a potential overload with Hjelde down that side
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

StJ still hopeful of a top six place will as always be a tough nut to crack. 1-1 will keep us ticking over nicely with much easier fixtures on the horizon. Will Yogi risk three up front or is it just paper talk? I watched the league cup final recently where Livi ended up with 4/5 forwards on the park and StJ won in a canter. COYS.

Overall I would be surprised if there are many changes. Back 5 frees up Naismith and Hjelde to get wide.
I would like to see Paton in for Tillson as he has shown well on his recent appearances from the bench and I would like to see how he plays alongside Spittal. No real reflection on Tillson’s play but I think we need St Johnstone to worry about us more than cover up against them.
Up front it’s difficult to bet against W&M starting but certainly feel Shaw deserves a chance at some point. Can’t see a front three though, unless with Mackay or Shaw dropping just behind.

Interesting to see Yogi’s picks and even more exciting - what 3,4 or 5 he brings on second half!

I think we have enough fight and quality to stay up - just.

Hope Yogi stays for next season, then we will really see his team

Ross County
Formation 3-5-1-1

1 Laidlaw
25 Donaldson
15 Watson
16 Iacovitti
23 Naismith
24 Paton
22 Tillson
19 Lakin
4 Hjelde
9 Mckay
26 White

1-0 St J 86 minutes. Very few players should get pass marks after today's performance.  It could be worse had it not been for a few decent saves from Laidlaw.  What's the point in bringing subs on so late??

Yikes what an awful day for us , killie win and a point for accies , Hughes playing 5-3-2 is really bugging me I cannot fathom why we’d play 3 centre backs in the position we are in would much rather a gardyne or a Hylton on from the start than an extra CB

(03-20-2021, 05:46 PM)weeyin86 Wrote: 1-0 St J 86 minutes. Very few players should get pass marks after today's performance.  It could be worse had it not been for a few decent saves from Laidlaw.  What's the point in bringing subs on so late??
got exactly what we deserved no even in the game midfield would have been better staying on the bus on that performance we wont need to worry about the play off

Can only echo the sentiment that we got what we deserved. While Midge and Vigurs did improve things when introduced, we offered so little going forward and were fortunate that St Johnstone were so profligate (Laidlaw hardly had anything remotely strenuous to deal with) with all but 1 of their chances (and Iacovitti could easily have given away yet another penalty in the 2nd half)
White once again a complete waste of a jersey- Shaw has to return to the starting XI next time. We had 2 decent ball-players in Lakin & Paton (who was very poor) in central midfield and yet there were far too many long balls bypassing them resulting in cheap turnovers- the perception of John Hughes having his teams play good football on the ground somewhat contrasts with the reality at the moment
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

A disappointing result but StJ fully deserved the win. Cleary the chance of a top 6 spot had them fired up and we were lucky to lose by just one goal. We were so ineffective in possession it bodes very badly for the next five games, for all the public praise Hughes has been giving for the effort and commitment of the squad it needs to be combined with quality and there was none of that from us this afternoon. Only one positive to take from this today - we don't have to play StJ again this season.
Hear Me Roar!

Killie will be buzzing after today and will be feeling like their next game can't come quick enough, Hamilton do this every year and always scrap their way out of it, have the county players got the bottle for the next 5 games??? Not on today's performance, they haven't!!

Got what we deserved sadly, Subbing on Shaw and Hylton to chase the game at 87 & 90mins is far far too late

Management must take part of the blame today. The changes should have been made at half time. First half was very poor with Paton and Lakin losing possession all the time.
We were lucky with two penalty shouts and how Iacovitti got away with some of his defending/ wrestling I don’t know.
For me only Laidlaw shone and Midge & Vigurs lifted things for a bit. The rest were average at best terrible at worst. The BBC stats are atrocious - shots 2 ( must have been Laidlaw’s kick outs) on target 0.

St Johnstone are not a great team yet we let them run all over us, where was the forward play the 3 front men gamble. We played like a team that is already relegated, simply not good enough when fans , staff, chairman et al are shelling out good money to keep the club adrift. Get a grip!

This morning I was confident we would stay up but if we play one more game like that we can forget it. And we just might not get back up again......

Hearts on sleeves time guys, roll them up and get with it

(03-20-2021, 05:56 PM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: YHughes playing 5-3-2 is really bugging me I cannot fathom why we’d play 3 centre backs in the position we are in would much rather a gardyne or a Hylton on from the start than an extra CB

It's quite simple, really- it's the Van Gaal Principle

Hughes has realised that apart from the perma-crocked Morris and Grivosti, all our CBs are pretty hopeless. However, by playing 3 of them together (it's actually 4 as Hjelde is a natural CB shunted out to LWB and not given anything like the license to get forward that Naismith is granted on the opposite side), in theory they shouldn't get exposed 1 v 1 as there should always be an extra CB to help cover. Watson is a good example of this- simply station him very deep and ask him just to be a spare man and deal with crosses into the box and he's mostly fine, however when asked to do anything more progressive than that and he flounders
The squad certainly isn't properly equipped to run with a 3 CB system longer term (look at the absolute dearth of defensive cover on our bench the last couple of games as evidence of that) and given Hughes' propensity for changing the team and system, we may not even see it for the next game, but that's basically the theory behind us going with 3 CBs in recent weeks

(03-20-2021, 10:17 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: It's quite simple, really- it's the Van Gaal Principle

Hughes has realised that apart from the perma-crocked Morris and Grivosti, all our CBs are pretty hopeless. However, by playing 3 of them together (it's actually 4 as Hjelde is a natural CB shunted out to LWB and not given anything like the license to get forward that Naismith is granted on the opposite side), in theory they shouldn't get exposed 1 v 1 as there should always be an extra CB to help cover. Watson is a good example of this- simply station him very deep and ask him just to be a spare man and deal with crosses into the box and he's mostly fine, however when asked to do anything more progressive than that and he flounders
The squad certainly isn't properly equipped to run with a 3 CB system longer term (look at the absolute dearth of defensive cover on our bench the last couple of games as evidence of that) and given Hughes' propensity for changing the team and system, we may not even see it for the next game, but that's basically the theory behind us going with 3 CBs in recent weeks
Defend from the front , we are in a position where we need points now at all costs take a risk with playing two centre backs and throw another forward in from the start , draper being on the bench I can’t understand he’s an excellent presence in the middle breaks up play and helps the defence out why we can’t play 4 defenders with him sitting just in front I just can’t understand

(03-20-2021, 11:16 PM)Monthestaggies98 Wrote: draper being on the bench I can’t understand he’s an excellent presence in the middle breaks up play and helps the defence out why we can’t play 4 defenders with him sitting just in front I just can’t understand

Hughes has very rarely used Draper as a pure holder, though. In the games Draper has started for us under Hughes (and in his time under Hughes at ICT) he's often been used as an 8, with license to go forward as a Soucek/Fellaini style berserker. Look at the previous game v St Johnstone as an example of this, where Draper managed to score after picking up a 2nd ball in the box- interestingly it's a role he also sometimes frequented under O*** C****, but never under Ketts/Fergie. In Hughes' first few games where we played 4-1-4-1 it was Vigurs who was deployed as the 6, a role he resumed today during the 2nd half. I wouldn't rule out a return to that shape going forward (partly because it's difficult to rule out Hughes trying pretty much anything schematically), but again I'd anticipate it being Vigurs stationed immediately infront of a back 4

Absolutely no positives to be taken from today. Our midfield was overrun and outclassed. The forwards were largely ineffectual ... the young Saints back line have rarely had an easier day. The fact that the fresh legs of Midge and Vigurs improved us says it all ... neither will kick a ball in the top league after this season wherever we finish. Yogi’s aftermath assessment was spot on. We deserved nothing! Fingers crossed for three home games post-split, otherwise. I fear the worst. Hopefully Yogi stays on for next season and he can bring in his own assistants. COYS.

(03-21-2021, 12:39 AM)Deke Slayton Wrote: Absolutely no positives to be taken from today.  Our midfield was overrun and outclassed.  The forwards were largely ineffectual ... the young Saints back line have rarely had an easier day.  The fact that the fresh legs of Midge and Vigurs improved us says it all ... neither will kick a ball in the top league after this season wherever we finish.  Yogi’s aftermath assessment was spot on.  We deserved nothing!  Fingers crossed for three home games post-split, otherwise. I fear the worst. Hopefully Yogi stays on for next season and he can bring in his own assistants.  COYS.
I dont think it will matter how many home games we get all the other bottom 6 set up to attack whereas we set up to defend and hit on the break so are always chasing the game
I really do not understand why because our goal difference is so bad it would not matter now if we get beat 1 or 10 nil its points we need hard to say who should start but personally i would have

Laidlaw
Naismith
Iacovitti
Hjelde
Draper
Spittal
Andreu
Lakin
Paton
White
Mackay
Every one will have there own opinion but mine is attack from whistle to whistle would love to have had Shaw up front with white and Mackay GLAD I AM NOT PICKING THE TEAM

As for Yogi staying for next season I am neither for or against i remember his Tinks team tearing us apart on numerous occasions so until he has time to build his own team i will reserve judgement it will be interesting to see who leaves should he be in charge next season