Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
Ross County's next manager
(05-26-2021, 08:11 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: The sanctimony is rife today.  The guy made mistakes, he's served his time, is deemed fit and proper by the SFA.  If David Martindale can manage after drug dealing and money laundering.....?

Am I the only who WILL be renewing my season ticket if he's appointed?

I'm one that sees them differently MM was certainly not someone young caught up in things and while DM crimes may be worse in some sense he has taken responsibility for his life and actions and made changes - for me he has earned a second chance and good luck to him.

MM hasn't for me taken those steps to address his behaviour he really isn't someone I'd want at the club.

I really do want to be back next season but fear I'll be one that doesn't renew as part of what I have loved the club has been this focus on community and values.  I do understand some of this is about the business side and money but to go so against those espoused values would make it difficult for me to return.

(05-26-2021, 08:11 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: The sanctimony is rife today.  The guy made mistakes, he's served his time, is deemed fit and proper by the SFA.  If David Martindale can manage after drug dealing and money laundering.....?

Am I the only who WILL be renewing my season ticket if he's appointed?

Never mind his non footballing mistakes. Mackay is simply not a good football manager.

(05-26-2021, 09:06 AM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: Never mind his non footballing mistakes. Mackay is simply not a good football manager.

Well yes there is that as well

He was absolute crap as a manager at Wigan, and as for his job with the sfa, that was just one of those jobs for the boys old pals acts, you won't find anyone within that organisation that can be classed as honest and trustworthy.
Did he even do anything other than turn up and get paid?
If it was hard to get players north before, it will be even harder now with his reputation.

I believe that redemption should always be on the table. A man should be able to move on in life, David Martindale certainly did, and Mackay should be allowed to also. I can’t comment on his managerial skills.

(05-26-2021, 10:48 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: I believe that redemption should always be on the table. A man should be able to move on in life, David Martindale certainly did, and Mackay should be allowed to also. I can’t comment on his managerial skills.
Absolutely but he needs to take some responsibility for past actions.

It's Mackay.

An absolute train wreck of a statement as well.

https://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk...ed-manager

If only the guys who have never done or said anything they regret buy season tickets next season we will have an empty stadium.

If Roy Macgreggor, who let’s face it will be, by now, much more aware of the truth about Malky’s misdemeanours and his steps to make reparations , is comfortable with him fitting in at County them that seems fair enough to me. He is not a murderer or child molester for goodness sake.

Footballwise - after Owen Coyle flopping so unexpectedly I trust that every stone has been turned before this decision has been made.

Ultimately if he produces a team that play well and win more games than they draw or lose he will be Mr Popular and all the ‘baggage’ will be forgotten by happy supporters - these are the facts of life.

Most people deserve a second chance, so let’s be big enough to do so.

(05-26-2021, 11:58 AM)Brick on the wall Wrote: If only the guys who have never done or said anything they regret buy season tickets next season we will have an empty stadium.

What an abysmal take.

(05-26-2021, 09:01 AM)roth08 Wrote: I'm one that sees them differently MM was certainly not someone young caught up in things and while DM crimes may be worse in some sense he has taken responsibility for his life and actions and made changes - for me he has earned a second chance and good luck to him.

MM hasn't for me taken those steps to address his behaviour he really isn't someone I'd want at the club.

I really do want to be back next season but fear I'll be one that doesn't renew as part of what I have loved the club has been this focus on community and values.  I do understand some of this is about the business side and money but to go so against those espoused values would make it difficult for me to return.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28890833

(05-26-2021, 11:46 AM)Diotor Wrote: It's Mackay.

An absolute train wreck of a statement as well.

https://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk...ed-manager

If he gets the results I can live with it. After all it's a results game!

The comparison with Martindale is not fair. One was an out and out criminal act the other was non criminal controversial comments.

To be honest without Mackay's tarnished reputation I doubt we would have got him.

(05-26-2021, 12:09 PM)MOGO Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/28890833

There is no actual apology from him in there. Hell of a lot of whataboutery though. 

"Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers!!!"

"Fkn chinkys."

"Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around."

"He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted"

"Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering""Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering"

If those comments made you feel uncomfortable, then do something about it. Email our SLO, email the club. Don't sit in silence.

(05-26-2021, 12:48 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: There is no actual apology from him in there. Hell of a lot of whataboutery though. 

"Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers!!!"

"Fkn chinkys."

"Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around."

"He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted"

"Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering""Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering"

If those comments made you feel uncomfortable, then do something about it. Email our SLO, email the club. Don't sit in silence.

I agree that for me is not an apology or recognition as to what he did - am very disappointed by this turn of events and much as I really would love to be back can't see I will.  I will wait to see if he makes any kind of statement or addresses it but think that might be me done.

(05-26-2021, 12:12 PM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: If he gets the results I can live with it. After all it's a results game!

The comparison with Martindale is not fair. One was an out and out criminal act the other was non criminal controversial comments.

To be honest without Mackay's tarnished reputation I doubt we would have got him.

Jesus wept. "Controversial comments"? Being a racist, bigoted, homophobe isn't controversial.

You're correct though, Martindale & Mackay comparisons aren't fair. One has served his punishment, admitted his guilt and mistakes, and apologised. The other, was only sorry the information got out and stood by it - racism is only "banter" apparently.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

With all that’s been said, I firmly believe everyone deserves a second chance. If he had apologised and accepted culpability it would have made things so much better. Time to move on for both parties.

(05-26-2021, 01:17 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: With all that’s been said, I firmly believe everyone deserves a second chance. If he had apologised and accepted culpability it would have made things so much better. Time to move on for both parties.

Not sure it would have made things "better" but at least there would be some accountability. 

As for it being time for both parties to move on, who do you mean by both parties?

Gutted , all of us getting back to the stadium together would’ve been great , this will definitely put a dampener on that lower attendance and division between fans and club , an apology and realisation of what he did wrong could go a long way to redemption but even then it puzzles me why Roy said about club identity then employs a controversial character like this

Ugh. I'm generally a believer in second chances, and often think cancel culture goes too far, when someone has comments from 20+ years ago dragged up, or makes one poorly-judged comment, or just holds a different opinion to those sitting in judgement on Twitter. But none of those really apply here.

Instead we have the position of manager, which is the public face of a club, in a club which prides itself on being "family" and "community" orientated. And a man who has made bigoted, discriminatory remarks, against many different groups, and does not appear to have learned much or done anything noticeable to try and atone. I can't see how this man is compatible with this job, and so soon after Roy's comments about “What Ross County is, what does it stand for and what does it represent”, appointing Mackay seems to answer that question in a way none of us wanted to see.

The club won't care about my opinion; I've lived too far away to attend many matches for over a decade now, but if I did live nearby I'd find it very hard to show any support after this. Maybe if they'd been upfront with acknowledgement of the situation and Mackay apologising, saying he'd learned etc, it would be easier to (warily) give him a chance, but brushing it under the carpet is the worst way to handle it.

(05-26-2021, 01:39 PM)ShawIsDynamite Wrote: Not sure it would have made things "better" but at least there would be some accountability. 

As for it being time for both parties to move on, who do you mean by both parties?

Time for the club to move on and appoint a new manager, and time for Malky to move on and get back to work. 

I will be his biggest critic if the football is s***e but I firmly believe that people make mistakes, can change, and should be allowed to change, rather than spending the rest of their life in the wilderness.

(05-26-2021, 01:10 PM)Spain Wrote: Being a racist, bigoted, homophobe isn't controversial.

I think you'll find it is.

Excellent appointment, huge experience in the game.
As for anything he said in the past, leave it in the past,- anyone else ever regretted saying something they shouldn’t have said??? Hello???