Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dundee United: Episode I
Two home games in a row against United with footballing cliches dictating that County won't win both.

No recognised first-team full backs available. United have just beaten Hearts. Everything points to a County win. Certainly if the roles were reversed most of us would expect County to lose.

Hopefully it's mostly the same team as Hamilton with Boyce and Schalk both starting together. Although, having said that, under the law of "Former Player Scores Against Former Club" it might be better starting Graham and Goodwillie.

Dundee play ICT, and St Johnstone play Aberdeen. County really need to win here.

(02-25-2016, 10:08 AM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Two home games in a row against United with footballing cliches dictating that County won't win both.

No recognised first-team full backs available. United have just beaten Hearts. Everything points to a County win. Certainly if the roles were reversed most of us would expect County to lose.

Hopefully it's mostly the same team as Hamilton with Boyce and Schalk both starting together. Although, having said that, under the law of "Former Player Scores Against Former Club" it might be better starting Graham and Goodwillie.

Dundee play ICT, and St Johnstone play Aberdeen. County really need to win here.

This will be interesting to see how our back line shapes up.  I personally wouldn't change Davies and Quinn as the central pairing, and would look to play 4 at the back with 2 makeshift full backs.  Who that should be is beyond me though.

Think we've got to try Franks at right back. Boyd just hasn't the pace for full back. Try Quinn at left back and have Robertson and Davies as centre backs. Very important game and after last week's great escape we have to be at our very best.

Similar to last year when we played St Johnstone away in consecutive weeks in the league and cup. Home atvantage counted then. We need to make home advantage count now!

Vital to get a win here but DU will be thinking the same. Full backs are a real problem; did Motherwell not play with 3 Ctr backs v DU and beat them?
Without any recognised full backs it might be a solution to play Robertson Quinn Davies as a back 3 then have Franks & Gardyne as Wing Backs. Generally I don’t like 3 across the back especially if a team’s not used to it but perhaps it’s a case of needs must.
Fox
Robertson Quinn Davies
Franks Gardyne
Irvine McShane Woods
Boyce Goodwillie or Schalk

Players we can play in defence Quinn Davis Robertson Murdoch and Irvine
Midfielders Franks McShane Woods Gardyne DeVita and Dingwall
Forwards Goodwillie Boyce Graham and Schalk
Add a few up and coming players from the development team
I would hope we can put a team together from that selection
It will not be an easy game and the supporters need to play there part and get right behind the team from the start through till the final whistle
COM ON THE COUNTY

What the manager does with the defence is the most interesting part of this game, in the absence of all three of our senior fullbacks.  In my mind there are four options.

1) Go three at the back and use three of our four existing central defenders.

2) Four at the back as usual, with makeshift fullbacks constructed from existing central defenders or midfielders.

3) Four at the back as usual, with fullbacks being promoted from the U20s – namely, McLaughlin and Miller.

4) A combination of 2 and 3.

I really don’t know what McIntyre will opt for.  There’s probably a convincing argument to match up against Dundee United with their three-man defence, but he only seems willing to deviate from his preferred 442 against stronger opposition, and that is something that Dundee United are not.

On that basis, it’s probably going to be a 442.  I’m not a fan of playing central defenders at fullback because of their lack of pace and attacking threat.  I’m also not a fan of playing midfielders out of position at fullback because of their lack of defensive awareness and positioning in an unfamiliar role.

I’d be tempted to put in both McLaughlin and Miller, stick with 442 and an “attack is the best form of defence” philosophy.  However, as this isn’t a computer game with no real consequences, I reckon McIntyre won’t be quite so devil-may-care.  I think he’ll play McLaughlin at left-back and either Quinn or Robertson at right-back, with the other of the two alongside Davies in the middle.

As for the rest of the starting XI, I don’t imagine he’d change it from Hamilton last weekend.

Dundee Utd will be fired up after a good result last weekend.  If they have any hope of staying up at all, they really need to get the win against us, but we should have the quality to see them off.

Prediction – 3-1 to Ross County.

I can see Franks filling in as one of the full backs. As for the other... Irvine? Murdoch?

Surely it's the perfect chance to let the youth show why they are with us... Especially with no real left sided players in the squad...

Looks like the young lad Mclaughlin, never played for u20 but Miller did.....
No sacrifice no victory 

Aye, Reckord played at LB, and Miller played the full 90mins at RB.
Not aware of McLaughlin coming on at any point.

May just point to management tryin to get Reckord some form and confidence back, but I imagine it also points to McLaughlin being in the squad for the weekend? He's had good reports this season from what I'm aware of.

I'd go with
Fox
Irvine Quinn Davies McLaughlin
Franks mcshane woods gardyne
Boyce schalk/goodwillie
County till I die

(02-25-2016, 05:36 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: I can see Franks filling in as one of the full backs.  As for the other... Irvine?  Murdoch?

Go for Murdoch at LB  young Miller  RB  crowd the midfield. Just get points ugly if need be

Both teams look weak defensively. Worth a wee punt on a high scoring game; 3-2, 3-3, 2-3. A great chance for us to move further ahead of Dundee and StJ. 4th place in the SPL may get us into Europe.

(02-26-2016, 09:06 AM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Go for Murdoch at LB  young Miller  RB  crowd the midfield. Just get points ugly if need be

Play a right footed midfielder at left back......yea right!! Here's an idea, play an experienced, left footed defender at LB........Boyd!!!!

I'm not against McLaughlin getting a shout, I just don't know anything about the lad. 

Whatever JM does is right. He knows what his players can do better than me!!!

Ugly points, as RSB says, will do fine for me!!!!

(02-26-2016, 09:36 AM)Deke Slayton Wrote: Both teams look weak defensively. Worth a wee punt on a high scoring game; 3-2,  3-3,  2-3.  A great chance for us to move further ahead of Dundee and StJ. 4th place in the SPL may get us into Europe.

Never mind 4th place in the league.
The treble is still on!
Ok, it's just a dream!
I'll settle for winning any of them.
Dundee Utd have picked up a wee bit in the last couple of games, we will need it all to beat them.
Let's start on Saturday by getting the Global Energy crowd right behind the team.

I'd like to see Jim give the young lad McLaughlin a start at leftback.

Fox
Irvine Quinn Davies McLaughlin

Murdoch Woods McShane Gardyne

Boyce Schalk

I think Jackson's running power from right back could really help us down the right side. Gardyne works tremendously hard when without the ball so he and our two experienced centre halves could be great help for the young McLaughlin.

3-1 to The County, hopefully Boyce gets one or two as he looked off the pace last week. IMO Schalk is our No.1 pick up top at the moment, Goodwillie to make an appearance from the bench.

To be more attacking Jim may go with Franks instead of Murdoch wide right.

I think, all things considered, I'd rather have Quinn at right back and Irvine in central defence.

I'm sure Boyd is right-footed, not left-footed?

Kinda spoiled for choice for who to shoe-horn in at RB (relatively speaking), fewer option at LB. Wouldn't be surprised to see McLaughlin given the shout, see it as likely as any of the other shouts for LB.

Personally hoping for McLaughlin, Davies, Quinn, Robertson as the back 4.
Gets Robertson a game, he's played RB before I'm sure, and doesnt break up our first choice defensive pairing.
Also be good to see a new youngster get a start, but given he's untried I'd also be happy to see a more familiar face playing out of position at LB.

If DU continue with 3 at the back we will need to get down the flanks to keep their wingbacks pushed back to make it a back 5 otherwise they will have 5 in midfield with 3 central and we'll get overun. Franks has to start with ? at right back but we must keep both their wing backs in defence. If we do play 442 (which we probably will) Boyce and Schalk through the middle + Gardyne and Franks on the wings should be enough to do it but Id like to see McShane and Irvine as the midfield pair & Goodwillie to replace Boyce when he tires. The advantage of this is if Mclaughlin struggles or we're losing midfield he could be replaced by putting Murdoch or Woods into midfield then matching DU with 3 at the back. This would be my shout but what JM goes with will be right I'm sure.
Fox
Quinn Robertson Davies Mclaughlin
Franks Irvine McSahne Gardyne
Boyce Schalk

(02-26-2016, 06:36 PM)dorsetstaggie Wrote: Good stuff

Aye.