Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County v Dundee Utd
(11-25-2012, 03:14 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Kova was excellent.

There were some boos near to me but I presumed they were being directed at the departing Russell. Its beyond me why the hell anybody would boo Gardyne!

There were a few idiots in the upper section who booed Gardyne. They were sitting around the guy who kept screaming FORORRRRRRWAAAAAARDDDD every time we passed the ball square.

I thought for the most part we did okay in the game. Munro struggled at times but generally did alright, except for the majority of his crosses were pretty poor. Saying that, what more can you expect from a centre half filling in there? Tokely, Kova and Boyd did alright as well, but I would have liked seeing Kova bully United's left side more. He was about the same size as GMS and Douglas combined, but we never seemed to use that as a potential out ball.

Thought Vigurs and Rocco were the pick of the midfield with Richie being pretty quiet, as most of his runs down the wing were totally missed by the central midfield. He was screaming at them a few times and people weren't even looking at him. Strange. Kettlewell didn't really do an awful lot, much as he tried.

Morrow was totally ineffective and is still to show why he is worth a first team place. A 6'2" striker who barely wins a header and who has shoddy link up play and no pace? He looks woefully out of his depth- but the service to him for most of the game was pretty ropey. McMenamin or Ross (or heaven forbid, Curtain Burns) must be stick ons for more game times.

Good things to note were Kova/Tokely keeping Mackay-Stephen pretty quiet. Vigurs' goal was taken brilliantly. Fraser was pretty solid with the exception of his mad dash off his line. Boyd and Tokely had the situation in hand, so I'm still baffled as to why he did it.

Ho hum. Dundee Utd were worth the 3 points but we did fairly well overall. Let's just hope we can take three points against St. Midden as we are beginning to get a little too close to Dundee for my liking.

Cant argue with much of that Comrie

(11-25-2012, 07:40 PM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: Those in the Jailend and the West Stand won't know it but the sunset was stunning yesterday.

Mentioned that in my post too. I wish I had my camera with me.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

Just watched the Highlights and realised I might have given more credit to Fraser - some excellent quick-reaction saves.
Soz Jim'n'Billy

(11-25-2012, 12:35 AM)Bovril Boy Wrote: We need to create more in the midfield, defence splitting passes giving our striker more opportunity. Lawson back please.

..and to stop hoofing aimless balls up the park that come right back at us, we are a better team than that.

(11-25-2012, 08:09 PM)Comrie Wrote: They were sitting around the guy who kept screaming FORORRRRRRWAAAAAARDDDD every time we passed the ball square.

So it was thanks to his tactical brilliance that we spent the last 20 minutes hoofing the ball forward in the air hoping that a flick from a striker would drop to someone?

(11-25-2012, 11:16 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote:
(11-25-2012, 08:09 PM)Comrie Wrote: They were sitting around the guy who kept screaming FORORRRRRRWAAAAAARDDDD every time we passed the ball square.

So it was thanks to his tactical brilliance that we spent the last 20 minutes hoofing the ball forward in the air hoping that a flick from a striker would drop to someone?

That was only when we managed to get the ball back from united

I might be missing something...but it seems we lose a lot of balls by hoofing them up the pitch over and over...I see a lot of keepers roll the ball out to a defender and then play it up field...but cant remember the last time fraser did this...????
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

There's definitely been a tendency for the big hoof up the park of late rather than keeping it down on the ground. They kept it down on Saturday a few times and that's when the midfield did manage to look quite effective. I know it's not always possible but the passing game is effective for them. Prefer it to route 1 especially when we only have 1 up front knocking it down (or not) for Vigurs et al to try and do something then.
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Tokely tried to play the ball into midfield twice on saturday and ended up playing it straight to the advancing dundee utd midfield putting us on the back foot again.

I am totally against the long ball but can't help but feel that is what we have become, on saturday their was just no way any of our back 4 were going to play their way out of their, a couple of times in the 2nd half kova made a great break down the right flank past RB but RB refused to play Kova in down the line, why? because Kova's delivery into the box is so poor and munro's was no better from down the left.

These guys at the back on Saturday were good for the most of the game but they are certainly not great with the ball at their feet.

I said this way back in pre-season when we played Coventry at grant street and our back 4 in the 2nd half was as it was on saturday just past, i remember after commenting on OTB that i was concerned that this was going to be our tactics for the coming season with us obv no longer having Miller and Morrison and so it has unfolded. That night at grant street Munro, Kova, Tokely and Pele pumped the ball high upto Glen for the 1st half and Col in the 2nd and they never won a single ball in the air as the 2 coventry centre halfs were 6ft+ and it mmm sounds familiar- Saturday!!

Other folk on here have been saying this for ages now, even before the season started and most peoples opinions/replies seemed to be, Win at all cost, would rather watch crap football all year and stay up or we won't turn into a long ball team!

After losing Morrison and Miller and effectively replacing them with Kova and Tokely you are always going to gain height and a more solid defence but on the other hand you are going to lose our philosphy of football from the back.

Simple

A big hoof up the park is ok when you have somebody up there that can control the ball and lay it off but most times you just give the ball back to the opposition and teams like United win it and pass it on to the quick footed midfield players and we are backs to the wall again.

I think the problem is that whoever has been playing up front has essentially been playing the lone striker role so even any headers won have just been mopped up by opposition defences because our 'second striker' in the 4-4-1-1 that Del has been using has not been working and they've been miles from the striker instead of playing off them!

McMenamin should be starting every game. He's our best striker in the air and puts in a good shift. As to who plays off him...? Good question. I thought Vigurs put in a great shift on Saturday and that might be worth persisting with.

Just to pick up on another thing mentioned in the previous post about Kova. Why, when we were were 2-1 down and Kova consistently hoofed poor crosses into the box or passed straight to the opposition midfield, did Del not hook him and make an offensive change to get some control and better distribution on the wing. We may aswell have gone for it...

Hey ho. In Del we Trust.

(11-26-2012, 05:58 PM)kenthehood Wrote: A big hoof up the park is ok when you have somebody up there that can control the ball and lay it off but most times you just give the ball back to the opposition and teams like United win it and pass it on to the quick footed midfield players and we are backs to the wall again.

(11-26-2012, 11:22 AM)dereknic Wrote: I might be missing something...but it seems we lose a lot of balls by hoofing them up the pitch over and over...I see a lot of keepers roll the ball out to a defender and then play it up field...but cant remember the last time fraser did this...????

Last season, to Miller and Morrison..

(11-26-2012, 11:44 PM)Fozzie Wrote:
(11-26-2012, 11:22 AM)dereknic Wrote: I might be missing something...but it seems we lose a lot of balls by hoofing them up the pitch over and over...I see a lot of keepers roll the ball out to a defender and then play it up field...but cant remember the last time fraser did this...????

We were given much more time on the ball last season! Every manager knows to tell his team to get in our faces and not let us control the game, when that happens our goal threat goes. That's why we need clever balls played quickly from midfield by a player with some vision and not rely on RB so much, please Del prove a point one way or another and put Lawson on from the start against St Mirren.

(11-26-2012, 11:44 PM)Fozzie Wrote:

Yes....this is true...when we had players that could run the sides....
There's a fine line between genius and insanity

Tongue 
(11-27-2012, 01:02 AM)Bovril Boy Wrote: ... we need clever balls played quickly from midfield by a player with some vision and not rely on RB so much, please Del prove a point one way or another and put Lawson on from the start against St Mirren.

Mmm - like that delicious forward pass from Quinn for Ross to run onto and score against Aberdeen.

Slurp.
Soz Jim'n'Billy