3 7.89%
Total 38 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Scotland Manager
Who do you want as Scotland manager?
Levein to stay, or someone new?

Moyes, Lambert and Malky Mackay were mentioned somewhere but they are hardly likely to leave what they are doing for this job.

It's a tough one. I like Levein's ideas and the overall scouting and developing structure that is now in place. For that reason he would be the guy to take us forward but unfortunately this campaign has so far been a disaster on the pitch. His stubborn attitude with the Fletcher situation didn't do him much favours either with the majority of fans.

Out of that list I'd go for Strachan. Smith would be a quick fix at best and can't really see him as a long term option.

A shake up is needed, would like to see Coyle out of that list, no danger Smith, Moyes or Dalgleish will take it. Coyle is a manager bursting with energy, enthusasim for the game etc...... can't be a bad thing, and he's a good manager. He's open, honest and not afraid to speak his mind, get him hired - there are certainly worst candidates out there.

My worry is that it will still be the same players at any managers disposal, this has been coming for nearly 10 years, the standard of Scottish player is dropping as they are not getting taught properly and the reduced numbers playing mean that less and less have the required physical and technical ability to play at the top level. For this reason I feel very sorry for Levein as I can understand why he has approached games as he has - he thinks we have worse players than the teams we are playing against....... he's not wrong you know!

It should have been sorted years ago but the SFA are so short termist that we are going to be left in the duldrums for years to come. England have realised it, quicker than us but still a few years late IMO (they weren't as far behind as us either), with their new national training centre. The biggest advantage this facility will provide is proper training of coaches, not players...... where is the SFA in delivering this sort of long term plan? I am aware that we cannot afford a facility on the scale of the FA BUT we must get the coaches trained to the best standards or we will continue to slide down the world rankings!

Personally, I'd like to see Strachan but as someone pointed out to me yesterday, with his tv pundit roles he has a nice cushy job already so would he give it up for the poisoned chalice that is the Scotland job?

What seems to be the biggest issue with the national team right now though is the fact that the younger age groups, u21s, u19s etc etc are more than able to compete with there counterparts, yet when it comes to the full team this just is not the case.
Another point, last nights starting XI had 9 premiership players in it so perhaps the manager shouldnt be shoulering all the blame?
"it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"
Muhammed Ali

Strachan appears to be favourite for the Tartan Army.
However a few bad results and everyone would be on his back, especially if he starts his silly interview routines. I think he lost the plot at Middlesborough.

Smith would certainly get an easier ride from the media, I can't imagine them turning his face into a Brussels Sprout like they did with Levein!!

I suspect the SFA will stick with Levein. Cue a half empty Hampden when we play Wales in March.

In any event there is no point playing Miller and the like for the rest of the campaign now. We are not going to Qualify for the World Cup and these players will not be playing in 2016, having probably retired.

He should play all the young players now to give them a chance and experience, they are the future now.

Or we can choose to wait until its mathematically impossible to qualify..... but after that, there is nothing to loose in doing the above.

Personally I would not want see Strachan as manager he set back Middlesbrough 3-4 years the road to promotion by buy over spending on with good players in the spl but couldn't cut it in the championship with exception of Robson and to an extent McDonald.The club are still having to pay ridiculous wages and on lengthy contracts on Thomson, McManus and McDonald.I'm a supporter of boro and it's good to see that they are finally starting to recover from that period but club management is different to international so it would be hard asses how he would do.
knowing me DY NO MITE
knowing you OTB AHA!!

Apparantly D-Day for levein today - I know think he will be given another chance.

I like Strachan but remember he is Zonal marking and pro stats out his nut. I personally hate that.

Bring back organization in Walter Smith.
Highlander29

Levein sacked.

Cue the clamour for Smith, until Super Sally gets the dunt from Sevco!!
Personally i'd love to see John Collins but i think Strachan will get it.

Personally sorry Levin has gone but understand why - qualifying was a disaster but I think what he has been doing in the back ground has put us on the right road for the future.

Strachan - after 2 press confrences and first loss and the press will be after his blood and all over him like a rash, can't see it.
Coyle very good club manager but doubt he would want to take the chance
McLiesh - No thanks too negative
Dalgliesh - Think he's past it now though sorry to say it
Collins - Maybe
Smith - Safe but short term
Jordan - My personal choice would be big Joe with Harry Redknap or Walter Smith as advisor

Anyone fancy Harry Redknapp ??

(11-06-2012, 05:52 PM)dorsetstaggie Wrote: Personally sorry Levin has gone but understand why - qualifying was a disaster but I think what he has been doing in the back ground has put us on the right road for the future.

Strachan - after 2 press confrences and first loss and the press will be after his blood and all over him like a rash, can't see it.
Collins - Maybe
Jordan - My personal choice would be big Joe with Harry Redknap or Walter Smith as advisor

Joe Jordan cerainly doesnt and wouldnt need an advisor.
Highlander29

(11-06-2012, 07:32 PM)Son of Earl. Wrote: Anyone fancy Harry Redknapp ??

(11-06-2012, 05:52 PM)dorsetstaggie Wrote: Personally sorry Levin has gone but understand why - qualifying was a disaster but I think what he has been doing in the back ground has put us on the right road for the future.

Collins - Maybe

Joe Jordan cerainly doesnt and wouldnt need an advisor.

For the sake of discussion
Joe Jordan would be a brilliant figure head, (my personal favorate of his era) also he has a reputation for being a fantastic coach, the players at Spurs and Portsmouth certainly thought so. IMO Management experiance is a bit lacking but Walter Smith or Harry Redknap would bring that while he learns the ropes.
Other thing is unlike the others Joe has nothing to loose and everything to gain from a career point of view. All the others would be dead ducks if they fail, some already are.

Harry Redknap has an axe to grind and something to prove to the EFA after not getting the England job. Working with Scotland and Joe for 3 or 4 years at the same time sticking 2 fingers up to the EFA might appeal to his sense of humor. He would also be free to take on another management job when it comes up.

Think Harry is a great manager but tends to want a big wad before he takes something on and I doubt the SFA would pay his wages. Also he would never move from the South Coast (his family wont let him).

Jordan & Redknap / Smith will never happen but personally I still like the concept. On the other hand I've just talked myself into it - I'm off down the bookies Big Grin

(11-06-2012, 07:32 PM)Son of Earl. Wrote: Anyone fancy Harry Redknapp ??

He's no much of a looker to be honest.

I'm going to throw a new name into the mix--- Terry Butcher.
Ideal in more ways don't you think.

Terry Butcher ?? I can I have some of what your on. The Tartan Army would distroy him.

I think its looking clearer and clearer Strachan will be the new guy.

Zonal Marking and Caldwell in midfield. (Watch this space).
Highlander29

Surely after last night, Lennon is the favourite?

(hides)

Would Billy Stark be looking at tonight as a job interiew? he'd also be a cheap option for the SFA!

Smith would bring some solidity back and keep them on more of an even keel. He didn't reasonably well when he was there before.

Looking ahead, I simply don't know..... the national manager must work with the talent available or the lack of it!

(11-29-2012, 05:53 PM)Blinkers Wrote: Smith would bring some solidity back and keep them on more of an even keel. He didn't reasonably well when he was there before.

Looking ahead, I simply don't know..... the national manager must work with the talent available or the lack of it!

errrr, DID even....................
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!