Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County v Elgin
Game finished 2-1 to Elgin.

Got to say that it was probably the correct result, and we can't have many complaints.

Elgin looked sharper, were up for the game more, and created the better chances.

I know a lot will say it's only a diddy cup, but it is a competition that has been good for us over recent years, and would liked to have put up more of a fight in defence of it !

Their goalie should have won man of the match.

a very dissapointing start. And Di Giac got 4 for Morton!
Rangers and Celtic want to play in England? If Sunderland can, East Stirling can

COME IN NUMBER 34

Not all that disappointed with losing, more disappointed with the manner of the defeat. We seemed to be completely lacking in ideas, and as far as I can see, the only improvements from last years team is the fact that McMenamin can head the ball (where Barrowman couldn't) and Munro looked impressive. Other than that, our midfield looked like just the same old nonsense as last season. Pretty worrying. Hopefully Adams has learnt a few lessons today before going into the league.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

That was predictably disappointing. So many things to talk about but my main issue is with Scotty Mo. Even against a third division team, he was caught out a number of times and when ever he was caught one on one he never looked like he was going to win. I know I'm going to be attacked by his supporters but Fitzpatrick should be our starting left back. He's defensively better and stronger than Scotty Mo.

Also major lack of width up front, we kept possession of the ball but never looked dangerous enough other than for a 10 min spell in the second half just before Elgin scored. Elgin where good for their win and think they should be looking for a playoff place as a minimum for this season. As for us, if we play like that then 8th place looks like a challenge.

And another thing. Can we please stop booing the keeper if he decides to waste time by walking to the other side of the 6 yard box to take a goalkick. We never boo our own keeper when they do that so lets not be the typical hypocritical supporter.
Disclaimer -Anything posted by this user is likely to contain large amount of sarcasm, humour and nuts. At no time should anything be taken seriously, even on serious topics. Failure to do so may result in confusion and your tongue turning black, consult a doctor if symptoms persist.

(07-23-2011, 07:18 PM)Mackie Wrote: So many things to talk about but my main issue is with Scotty Mo. Even against a third division team, he was caught out a number of times and when ever he was caught one on one he never looked like he was going to win. I know I'm going to be attacked by his supporters but Fitzpatrick should be our starting left back. He's defensively better and stronger than Scotty Mo.

The one thing I'd disagree with you on is that Archie McPhee should be tried out there.
I've seen him play in the pre-season games, and felt he done well.
In fact away to Forres, he was solid in the first half, but into the second half he was replaced by Morrison, and it was through that channel we lost the first goal !

As for booing the opposition keeper.. It's part of the game that opposition is booed - be it for time wasting or whatever else.

Thought it was just me that thought Morrison was poor today. Fraser still needs to prove himself in nets. Wonder if Mcgovern will come back? I think we should get another keeper just for insurance and competition.

Still the BBC summed it up better than any of us, spot the spelling mistake in the report!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14244601.stm

incase they edit it, it reads:

Ross County 1-2 Elgin City

Goals from Brian Cameron and Stuart Leslie helped Third Division Elgin City shock First Division Ross County in the first round of the Ramsdens Cup.

County took the lead after two minutes when defender Scott Morrison unleashed an unstoppable 20-yard drive.

But Cameron crashed in a 36th-minute [censored] following good work by Craig Gunn.

Elgin completed the turnaround after 61 minutes when Leslie found the bottom corner from 18 yards, with Gunn again providing the assist.

Ross County: Fraser, Miller (Byrne 86),Flynn, Munro,Morrison, Brittain, Lawson (Duncan 67), Vigurs (Corcoran 63),Gardyne, Craig, McMenamin. Subs Not Used: Malin, Kettlewell.

Booked: Miller. Goal: Morrison 2.

Elgin: Clark, Niven, Nicolson, Duff, Kaczan, Cameron (Frizzel 79), O'Donoghue (Crooks 74), Beveridge, Moore (Lawrie 88), Gunn, Leslie. Subs Not Used: Calder,Jack.

Booked: Gunn. Goals: Cameron 37, Leslie 61.

Att: 1,368

Ref: Matt Northcroft
"the beach balls are burst" Derek Adams 19/05/13

All i can say is same [censored] different season

hmmm...not the result i expected to get up to

I wasn't planning on doing an analysis, but here goes:

RossCountyTactics analysis

Perhaps our new faces need time to gel and that maybe Quinn would add a bit more creativity?
Perhaps the team will improve as the weeks go, the season has only just started and will go on for another 9 months.
We all need to STAY POSITIVE.
Rangers and Celtic want to play in England? If Sunderland can, East Stirling can

COME IN NUMBER 34

Gutted. Really enjoy this competition.

Fraser looked shaky
Miller given the run around by Moore how this boy was not good enough for us I don't know
Morrison usual crossing from halfway instead of byeline
Flynn and Munro solid
Lawson absolute stinker his lack of pace really showed
Brittain solid although like him to help Miller a bit more allowed Moore to run off him far too much
Vigurs shocking he insist in turning back with the ball on 1 occasion he did 3x 360 turns before of loading ball
Gardyne not in it first half a bit better first 20mins second and then disappeared
Front two had very little to work with
Corcoran didn't improve it any
Duncan did okay
Young striker wasn't on long enough to contribute

Really poor very much in line with last season lots of passes going nowhere no width no penetration and definitely no style and panache.

Don't want to here any excuses from Adam's about ball pressure or the stars weren't aligned properly his tatics are predictable.
Going to save my money next week and stay at home.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

Two years we have won the challenge cup we have ended up in relegation dog fights. I think this season is going to be a good one!

As expected, no width at all in the side so everything was down the middle or punted into the box from 30 yards by Scotty Mo. We were lucky Elgin didn't beat us at Borough Briggs last season and we didn't learn from that this season.

Thought today was very disappointing but hey it's only the first game of hopefully a promising season. Have faith!

Some more comments
  • Neither full-back had a great game, agreed. Yet Adams's diamond midfield system relies heavily on the full-backs getting forward. If Fitzpatrick was playing instead of Morrison, County would have lost 0-2, not just because of Mo's goal but because there's no way Fitzpatrick can contribute in the same way. Remember all the calls for Scotty Mo to get back in the team under Jimmy C? Those were justified with the Cowdenbeath 3-0 match.
  • Morrison is at his best getting to the bye-line and crossing from there. Danny Moore showed the way on that but of course he started from a high position on the pitch. County were never going to get anything from crossing exclusively from deep, whether that was from Morrison, Miller, Corcoran or Brittain.
  • TJE mentioned McPhee for left-back. He might be worth a risk, but Adams is typically adverse to blooding youth under pressure.
  • TJE also mentioned Boyd at right-back to me on Twitter, citing half a game against Dunfermline. He also played a blinder away to Partick in August 2009, after Miller got sent off.
  • Lawson did look short of pace on occasion as already mentioned. How often do we see forwards on a 2 v 2 situation against County's defence? Lawson was too high up the pitch considering both full-backs were attacking in unison, but even in the 1st Division he won't find many with the pace of Gunn running with the ball directly at the centre-backs.
  • Quinn is a very good player, but what is he going to bring to the team exactly and where does he fit in? In the current system, the obvious example would be in place of Brittain...

Quote:Morrison is at his best getting to the bye-line and crossing from there. Danny Moore showed the way on that but of course he started from a high position on the pitch. County were never going to get anything from crossing exclusively from deep, whether that was from Morrison, Miller, Corcoran or Brittain.

Agreed, but he rarely hits the by-line and every single ball he puts into the box is the same ball, time and time again. I am a fan of Scotty Mo, but I wish he'd look when he crosses the ball.

Brick 

Well that was a good way to keep our expectations from getting too high.

I'm Angry doing my best to look at it as a warm-up. I'd rather be fairly beaten by Elgin in this competition than lose 3 points in the league. So definitely looking to beat Morton (as well as Queens Park).
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

It's been mentioned many time already, but we play far too narrow for my liking. And Miller and Morrison were too affraid to head forward as additional wingers because they would in turn be exposed by the pace of the Elgin wide players.

That's the whole problem with relying on full backs as being your wide players.

I know that Adams came out with a statement about stats backing up that majority of goals come from being played through the middle - and he may well be right, I don't have access of such stats.
But I would like to know what other players are in those teams.

Did these teams play without wide players ? Or do they use wide players to drag defenders away from the middle of the park, leaving more room for the central players ?
That's the one thing about stats - you can word them in any way you want to back up your own theory.

Regardless of who we play, we very seldom get players to the bye line and force the opposition to face their own goal for crosses. It's much easier to clear a ball if your back is to your goal, rather than if your facing your own goal.
It may sound like a basic statement, but all too often, if we do get the ball out wide, we have early crosses into the box that are easy for defenders.

I know it's not in the way we usually play, but why not go for a 3-5-2 formation ?
This would give that little bit extra assurance to Morrison/Miller (if that's who we use as the wide players) and let them get forward more.