Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will our pitch still be playable in the winter
I believe that there are some concerns that our grass is not as thick as hoped for. We may be playing on very little grass by October unless the weather holds out until then and the grass thickens. If the weather gets cold before the end of September and the grass stops growing we are snookered for having a good playing surface this winter.

(08-23-2012, 10:20 PM)BOFF Wrote: I believe that there are some concerns that our grass is not as thick as hoped for. We may be playing on very little grass by October unless the weather holds out until then and the grass thickens. If the weather gets cold before the end of September and the grass stops growing we are snookered for having a good playing surface this winter.

Surely this is mostly nonsense, the pitch is absolutely immaculate.

Of course during the winter there could be issues with the pitch, but that goes for every football pitch in Scotland due to the climate here.

(08-23-2012, 10:20 PM)BOFF Wrote: I believe that there are some concerns that our grass is not as thick as hoped for.

Concerns from who? Percy Thrower?

Should build one of those fantastic plastic pitches! Wink
No sacrifice no victory 

(08-24-2012, 12:35 AM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 10:20 PM)BOFF Wrote: I believe that there are some concerns that our grass is not as thick as hoped for.

Davey the groundsman himself. Go along and ask him yourself smart ass.

While watching the U20's playing on it last Tuesday, I was chatting to the guy next to me about how it would cope over the winter, especially if we have to use the under soil heating.
We'll have to wait and see, who knows.

I think the park shood be fine as Ranald said before the season started we will use the covers as normal we will onley use the under soil heating if we have to

three games into the season and we are talking about winter,Come on lads get a grip

(08-24-2012, 07:08 PM)BOFF Wrote: Davey the groundsman himself. Go along and ask him yourself smart ass.

Do you really think when he told you that, he would have wanted you to broadcast that little exclusive onto the internet?

I can't imagine if there's perceived problems with the pitch, anyone connected with County would want such speculation being spread.

You'd think it would be more like sense, to discuss such things if they were to happen.

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to move the U20 matches to the Jubilee pitch, Brora or Grant Street if pitch wear becomes an issue.

Under soil heating is utter pash and should not be a requirement in its current form for SPL membership. Warm air aeration should be used and would be cheaper than a giant leccy blanket to run.

Percy could play on any surface! In fact up to 15 years ago all players were compelled to. I love the view that we have so many technically gifted players in Scotland that it would be criminal to ask them to play on anything other than bowling greens. A lack of greenery did not hamper Tucker Thomson!

(08-24-2012, 08:54 PM)Billy7Ferries Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 07:08 PM)BOFF Wrote: Davey the groundsman himself. Go along and ask him yourself smart ass.

Do you really think when he told you that, he would have wanted you to broadcast that little exclusive onto the internet?

I can't imagine if there's perceived problems with the pitch, anyone connected with County would want such speculation being spread.

You'd think it would be more like sense, to discuss such things if they were to happen.

Its no big secret or speculation he tells anyone who asks how the pitch is. The grass needs to be thicker for a good pitch in the winter. If the weather keeps good until the end of Sept it should be fine. Any one with a keen interest in gardening taking a close look can see it. There is no problem at the moment it is when the grass stops growing is that is crucial. We will still have a pitch even in the worst case scenario it will just be pretty bare. This was posted more out of surprise than the usual "a source told me" speculation rubbish that sometimes appears on here.

As my grannie used to say, what'll be will be, we'll get there. Got through the fixtures last season (eventually), we have undersoil heating now. No worries.
He's NOT the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

(08-24-2012, 07:08 PM)BOFF Wrote:

Well why didn't you say so in the first place, instead of leaving it so vague, leaving us to assume that it was someone's granny's cousin's uncle's dog who told you?

(08-25-2012, 05:31 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote:

Well why didn't you say so in the first place, instead of leaving it so vague, leaving us to assume that it was someone's granny's cousin's uncle's dog who told you?

Who else was it going to be? Petty, pedantic, and trying too hard to be clever IMO.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(08-26-2012, 05:45 PM)Alness Staggie Wrote:
(08-25-2012, 05:31 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote:

Who else was it going to be?

A bloke you met down the pub who had a look at the pitch last Saturday and fancies himself an expert?

(08-24-2012, 09:51 PM)BOFF Wrote:

Now then!
As any budding Percy Thrower will tell you ( I hope )
Grass does not stop growing in winter.
It does need very careful attention, that's where Davie comes in.
Cut it too short and a frost comes, then there could be problems.
Many years ago an English club? Think it was ? One of the Sheffield clubs, they had a cover over the whole pitch, hot or warm air was blown in, the cover went high enough up that team could practice inside.

Its no big secret or speculation he tells anyone who asks how the pitch is. The grass needs to be thicker for a good pitch in the winter. If the weather keeps good until the end of Sept it should be fine. Any one with a keen interest in gardening taking a close look can see it. There is no problem at the moment it is when the grass stops growing is that is crucial. We will still have a pitch even in the worst case scenario it will just be pretty bare. This was posted more out of surprise than the usual "a source told me" speculation rubbish that sometimes appears on here.

(08-26-2012, 06:29 PM)Fleackeuy Wrote:

Now then!
Many years ago an English club? Think it was ? One of the Sheffield clubs, they had a cover over the whole pitch, hot or warm air was blown in, the cover went high enough up that team could practice inside.

I was commenting on a fact so get of your lazy ass and ask the groundsman yourself. If you dont like facts read the Sun. Davey has done a wonderful job but is worried about the pitch. It looks and is amazing just now but does not have enough grass to survive the winter. I hate experts like you who criticise everyone who makes a post. It must be great to be right all the time. I bow to your superior subjective knowledge. The pitch will be amazing and green in December and sorry for saying it may not be that way. Thank goodness experts like you are on this message board.

(08-26-2012, 08:50 PM)BOFF Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 06:29 PM)Fleackeuy Wrote:

Now then!

I was commenting on a fact so get of your lazy ass and ask the groundsman yourself. If you dont like facts read the Sun. Davey has done a wonderful job but is worried about the pitch. It looks and is amazing just now but does not have enough grass to survive the winter. I hate experts like you who criticise everyone who makes a post. It must be great to be right all the time. I bow to your superior subjective knowledge. The pitch will be amazing and green in December and sorry for saying it may not be that way. Thank goodness experts like you are on this message board.

Now then! Now then!
I see a low flying dummy popping out of the grass here!
I did not criticise your comments, check the reply.
When an individual uses parenthesis, this tends to cast doubt on one’s opinion, i.e. the writer.
This was quite simply a comment on the post.
But two facts here, I don’t read comics like the Sun, even before the Murdoch’s.
And, goodnight, don’t reply, YOU are the weakest link.
You will be posting next that the Star or P & J don't think the grass is green enough.