Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ross-shire League
Just watched a 'brusing' game at Avoch v Maryburgh.
Can anyone comment on the standard of ref's at this level as I thought this evenings ref was very poor indeed!
Good level of footy ability at times.......
MEE...!!!

(05-28-2012, 10:01 PM)scotmountain Wrote: Just watched a 'brusing' game at Avoch v Maryburgh.
Can anyone comment on the standard of ref's at this level as I thought this evenings ref was very poor indeed!

Can't speak for now, but yonks ago that was where you started when you had just taken up refereeing. Don't expect too much.

The standard at the top is terrible so I think its to much to expect amatuer level to be any good.

Maryburgh v Avoch in the MacLean cup final in Maryburgh tonight 7.30pm ko.
I know the ref for this one and he can't wait for it, he thinks he'll be the star of the show!!

(05-28-2012, 10:01 PM)scotmountain Wrote: Just watched a 'brusing' game at Avoch v Maryburgh.

The referee was Eric Robertson from Inverness.
Very experienced, many years at North Caledonian level.
Not a bad player, used to play for Conon, when they used several of the firemen.
This would be a top game in the amateur league?
In his defence, without linesmen at that level, (I mean Avoch and Maryburgh, lots of experience, and quite often seasoned ex professional, and occasionally professionals, who just happen to circumnavigate the rules?)
Yes, they get released from the Highland League etc, at the end of the season, this allows them to play amateur??? for the Summer season.
Back to defending Eric, probably got fed up with all the back chat and constant cheating , going through the motions.
Against him? he ran the line at Victoria Park a few times in the 3rd division days, he was on the line on one occasion against ICT.
Coming from Inverness he supports?

on the occasion he ran the line against ICT he tried to give them a penalty!....remember it well. we were leading 2-1 at the time and there wasn't much time to go. the ref had a word with him and gave a free kick outside the box. he had moved so that the foul would have been adjudged to be inside the box. i remember my brother asking what robertson was doing and i replied he was trying to give them a penalty.

and yes. he's caley through and through. met him a few times at fire brigade training.

Robinoz!
I also remember it very well.
By good luck the referee was not from Inverness, and not one of the Fire Brigade "Brigade".
I think County were r......d a few times over the years in the County V's Inverness referees association.