Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saturday got me thinking...
As I mentioned in the QOTS thread, I thought our midfield on Saturday looked off the pace and were squeezed out the game by a much more active Hamilton side. Thus got me thinking on the way home, what is our best midfield when EVERYONE is fit? Would a different midfield have worked better? Now, I know it's only early days and not everyone has seen everyone play, but what midfield would you line up with given the choice?

Purely on what I've seen last season and what little there was to see on Saturday, I reckon we missed Vigurs. Pretty classy on his day and is quite cool in possession, so I'd put him in with Brittain, kettlewell and Duncan. Not seen much of Duncan, but a few on here certainly rate him so he's in. Would like to play Gardyne too, maybe as a 5 or one off the striker.

Fit Boot Ewe?
Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili

"Freedom Is Best, I Tell Thee True, Of All Things To Be Won.
Then Never Live Within The Bonds Of Slavery My Son" William Wallace (1270-1305)

In reality you can switch a fair few of our players and there is barely any difference. I'd probably say the best four in the middle of the park are Brittain, Kettlewell, Duncan and Gardyne, but trying to get four players who want to play so narrow into a workable system is difficult. If only we had a winger who didn't need half an hour to recover after a run...

...anyone got Karim Boukraa's number?

Tongue 
(08-16-2011, 07:46 PM)Comrie Wrote: ..... If only we had a winger who didn't need half an hour to recover after a run...

...anyone got Karim Boukraa's number?

i don't recall Boukraa doing a lot of running, much as I respected his moves
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

There are simply too many central(ish) midfielders in the squad who are all as good as each other on a general level.

In crude terms:-

Playmakers: Lawson, Vigurs, Quinn, Gardyne
Destroyers: Kettlewell, Duncan
Somewhere in between: Brittain, Fitzpatrick

What do you do with that?

My first post. 'Why aren't they all fit?' Simple I think... Craig Brewster!!! Sure he was never a manager, but was a superb assistant and I think Adams needs someone training them the way Brewster did. The team were unfit against Elgin, ditto Queens Park and although did alright against Morton from what I read (I wasnt at the game) but were out thought and out passed by Hamilton. I think Adams can still be a great manager, but I think he needs a better background team to help, perhaps another addition there instead of complaining at the team?

(08-16-2011, 11:31 PM)bunglebonce Wrote: There are simply too many central(ish) midfielders in the squad who are all as good as each other on a general level.

In crude terms:-

Playmakers: Lawson, Vigurs, Quinn, Gardyne
Destroyers: Kettlewell, Duncan
Somewhere in between: Brittain, Fitzpatrick

What do you do with that?

If we had a cover at right back Gary Miller would be worth a try wide right and he would track back a problem we have with the current set up who ever plays wide right drifts inside allowing the opposing left back and winger to double team Miller making him look poor at times when it is often not his fault.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

On Saturday I was lying on a beach in Spain, deeking to see if the French bird on my right was hotter than the Spanish bird on my left.

Anyways I agree with Yorick, good point well made.
Highlander29

If you read the match report by Fryish on the Hamilton game it may suprise you to find that RB, our skipper, was not mentioned once. That sums up his total contribution. Good player but he should not be untouchable. He needs to be more than just a David Batty-style destroyer with the passing vision of a crab.
For me, Vigurs is our best midfielder but he is inconsistent. Coco can't last 90 mins. QUINN looked good but I think the problem of creativity is down to tactics rather than individual players. It is all too narrow and we need wingers.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.