Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rangers woes and County
Saw some stuff on Twitter speculating how other Premier teams will be affected if Rangers don't make the end of the season, should points scored against them be deducted. Got me thinking how County would be affected.

My memory's not as good as it used to be, so don't flame me if I've got this wrong. I know we've played them at home, but have we ever played at Ibrox. If not, maybe we never will.
Ross County Graphics - remember when Cantona played for us!

Lightbulb 
Don't believe County ever played at Ibrox.

More to the point, can we pick up some top talent from the wreckage?
Soz Jim'n'Billy

Greg Wylde's looked pretty good, what little I've seen of him.

(03-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Garve Wrote: Saw some stuff on Twitter speculating how other Premier teams will be affected if Rangers don't make the end of the season, should points scored against them be deducted. Got me thinking how County would be affected.

My memory's not as good as it used to be, so don't flame me if I've got this wrong. I know we've played them at home, but have we ever played at Ibrox. If not, maybe we never will.

Nope. never played at Ibrox, the only three competative meeting of the teams have been at Victoria Park.

The situation won't affect County directly. Although I suspect the fact that it's one of the Old Firm that's now in trouble, I am sure it is a wake up call to the SPL / SFL / SFA. So no doubt in months to come we'll see new rules and regulations put in place which probably will affect the whole of Scottish football, not just individual clubs

(03-07-2012, 09:40 PM)Garve Wrote: Greg Wylde's looked pretty good, what little I've seen of him.

Off to Bolton seemingly.

Aye played Rangers 3 times, once at Viccy Park in the 60s, then twice at Viccy Park in the 00's.

Thought I might have been on to a good triv question there. "The only Scottish League side not to play at Ibrox."

Elgin played at Ibrox in 1949.
Peterhead in 2005.

However, can't find any record of Annan Athletic playing there.

Can't find Airdrie Utd either, though as Clydebank they have of course.

Insuppose the biggest threat to county comes in the form of Rangers not being in the SPL next season, apparently Sky can rip the tv deal up if Rangers and Celtic are not in the SPL. I suppose a understandable clause from Sky let's face it they basically pay the cash for 4 OF games per season. that would make stadium changes look a hell of alot more expensive! We could possible be the last club forced into this money pit but irronically be the worst off for it!

If the current Rangers FC stop trading and a new company is formed then I can't see any other option than making them start in Div 3, if they don't Scottish football or the SPL has lost evey thread of integrity, if there every was any. The whole structure would never ever be able to say we don't need Rangers and Celtic.

We need one year of tv cash at least! Let's face it Celtic will win the league for the forseable future it all depends when sky get bored of watching a league getting decided after the first match!
No sacrifice no victory 

Maybe my Jamie Ness exclusive might come true yet. Oh how a nation mocked. Swallowed it whole, and then mocked.

I don't think many of us will lose much sleep if we never get to go to Ibrox due to Rangers going bust.

Maybe we can get some of the seats from Ibrox to go in the new away stand?

Yes how sad that would be. I know that the club has been mis managed but to me Rangers leaving the Premier league would destroy Scottish football forever.I was at the previous County Rangers game in Victoria Park it was in the 60s, 66 I think and it is still alive in my memory. There were a couple of games posponed for the snow and it was played in an afternoon and we got the time off school. Which goes to prove the " BAT" was'nt all bad.
(03-07-2012, 09:30 PM)Garve Wrote: Saw some stuff on Twitter speculating how other Premier teams will be affected if Rangers don't make the end of the season, should points scored against them be deducted. Got me thinking how County would be affected.

Yup, it was a Monday afternoon. My Dad still has the match programme.

Going to Ibrox ain't on my wish list.
Highlander29

The Sky TV deal shouldn't come into consideration when deciding on any sanctions. If they really want 4 Old Firm games a season, then I'm sure the powers that be could rig the cup draws to give them 2, then why not create a "Glasgow Cup" pre-season shindig or something similar? Get Queens Park & Partick Thistle involved too to try and at least pretend it has some sporting integrity

We could do with a replacement for Midge next season. Anyone know if there are any decent young trequartistas in Rangers reserve team these days? Maybe another centre-back, too, if we go up
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(03-08-2012, 12:00 AM)Slatefordstag Wrote: apparently Sky can rip the tv deal up if Rangers and Celtic are not in the SPL.

I understand that with the current TV deal that is true but not with the next Sky deal. I have read reams of stuff about Rangers recently so can't remember exactly what the source was, but think it came from Neil Doncaster. Happy to be corrected if anyone has better info though.

Its great fun speculating but I'm pretty certain there will be a team called Rangers playing in the SPL next season. The rules well be found, amended, twisted or bent to make sure it happens.

And they will be playing at Ibrox which has no real value except as a football stadium.

Too many vested interests for any other outcome.

Turkeys voting for Christmas again. No Rangers no Sky Tv; No Sky Tv Scottish football will be equal to League of Ireland.

Rangers will survive in some manner even if the old Trojan horse (Clydebank/Airdrie) with St Mirren the prime target I would think.
Scottish football needs the profile the Old Firm brings and we can all moan about bus loads of fans leaving areas to support them but if they are not in it, how many extra fans will go to Viccy Park or the dump across the bridge, not alot they will start supporting the likes of Man Utd/City Arsenal/Chelsea.

For the good of the game this might be the best thing that has happened Clubs living within their means WHEN we are promoted to the SPL with the help of Mr MacGregor, we may be able to attract a good quality player paying them a reasonable wage safe in the knowledge that we won't be cherry picked by someone higher up the food chain.

Teams will have to produce their own talent which can only benefit the national team.

My dream would be Ross County with a number of home produced players thriving in the SPL whilst living within our own means.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

I don't like the idea of losing Rangers, purely for telly and gate money reasons. If the telly deal does go ahead though it might be a blessing in disguise - they might actually air games that don't involve either half of the old firm!

My worry is that the tax dodgers go into liquidation and therefore don't have to pay any of their debts and then simply start a new tax dodgers fc and wait for the SPL to change the rules and let them straight back in without starting in Div 3.
For years we have been told that the Old firm are destroying Scottish football and that for the game up here to improve we'd need them to move to England or a European league and now that the tax dodgers are breathing their last breath almost everyone seem to be hell bent on saving them for the alleged good of our game....c'mon people make up your minds you either want them or you don't!!
Tv money is killing the game but now that Sky may pull out of football up here all of a sudden we need tv money.....again what do you want tv money or no tv money?
Ross County have a great chance to make the SPL this season but what would be the point if after years of watching what we spend the tax dodgers got off scot free just because of their size and fan base.
Personally i wish to see them survive as they are and spend the next few years paying off all their debts and therefore cut their cloth accordingly as everyone else in Scottish football has had to.

My problem with Rangers going bust is that Highlander's going to be even more insufferable than he already is. Other than that, I hope they suffer until the summer, railing against the dying of the light, only to fold, giving Dunfermline a lifeline and thus ensuring our chances of survival next year are enhanced.

If Uncle Roy is reading, please vote no if offered any referendum on allowing Newco Rangers FC of Glasgow a free pass to remain in the SPL. Yours sincerely, me. And lots of other County fans.

(03-08-2012, 12:36 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: The Sky TV deal shouldn't come into consideration when deciding on any sanctions. If they really want 4 Old Firm games a season, then I'm sure the powers that be could rig the cup draws to give them 2, then why not create a "Glasgow Cup" pre-season shindig or something similar? Get Queens Park & Partick Thistle involved too to try and at least pretend it has some sporting integrity

We could do with a replacement for Midge next season. Anyone know if there are any decent young trequartistas in Rangers reserve team these days? Maybe another centre-back, too, if we go up

After watching last night's Champions League I wondered if Lionel Messi could take over Midge's role next season - would even guarantee him a seat on the Vengabus if necessary!!!!!

Being old enough to have seen both Pele and Maradona - I think Messi is the most complete player I've ever seen.

The Glasgow Cup already exists - used to be senior teams, but has been youth teams for some time now - Celtic, Clyde (remember when they actually played in Glasgow!!), Partick Thistle, Queens Park and Rangers.