Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carling Cup Final Commentators Comments
Did anyone notice or sense the sniggering comments made on Sunday during the Carling Cup Final?
Just after comments made about Don Cowie.
Oh, yes he is from the Highlands! Can’t be too many quality players from there in the past?
Ok, for a bit of fun let us start the list. England or Scotland.
The list is a general one, for players born in the Highlands, played here, and then played at a higher level.
John Buchanan, Cardiff
Charlie Christie Celtic, had to throw one in?
Ach maybe another, Billy Urquhart Rangers.
Kevin Macdonald, Liverpool.
Steve Pele Paterson, Man Utd.
Ross Jack (was mentioned on Sunday), Everton.
One form the past, Hugh Urquhart, Brentford.
Gary Mackay Stevens, Liverpool? Dundee Utd.
Can we stretch to Barry Robson? Think he is Inverurie, Celtic
Roddy Macdonald, Celtic.

Bryan Gunn, Eric Black, John Mcginley, Duncan Shearer! Anything to the East of Nairn is not the Promise Land IMO
They never came North of Culloden

Eric Black is from Coatbridge or thereabouts, is he not?

(02-28-2012, 01:10 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Eric Black is from Coatbridge or thereabouts, is he not?

TBH I'm not sure, he attended Alness Academy and married to an Alness Lass
They never came North of Culloden

Here Mun, I have followed the County [ dont beleive in the Staggies bit] since 1958 and our fans have always been silent or opinionated with our own players. Ask Jessies boy, Barry Wilson, who to me was one of the best players we ever produced, with exception to Johnnie Buchannan, Skin em Billy and my personal all time favourite Jim Hossie. But we will follow follow follow we will forever follow on anywhere everywhere we will follow on. Roll on the Hamilton game where I will make my sojourn from deepest Englandshire to follow my beloved team. UP THE COUNTY

(02-28-2012, 01:36 PM)Easter Ross Massive Wrote:
(02-28-2012, 01:10 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Eric Black is from Coatbridge or thereabouts, is he not?

TBH I'm not sure, he attended Alness Academy and married to an Alness Lass

I think we can accept Eric Black.
Don't quote me, but I think he went to primary school in Alness, for a short while.
Certainly played under 16 football in Ross-shire. (brilliant at that level)
I think his father played for Falkirk? Then moved up here to work at Nigg.

I think we should of in the past contributed more top players to the higher levels. The whole North of Perth not existing hasnt done us any favours.
Highlander29

(02-28-2012, 10:17 PM)Son of Earl. Wrote: I think we should of in the past contributed more top players to the higher levels. The whole North of Perth not existing hasnt done us any favours.

Hopefully next season we will be "the higher level" Big Grin

We were talking about this at work on Monday and more or less came up with the same list of players.
Although not from the highlands there was also Colin Hendry of Keith and in the late eighties Billy Skinner of Inverness Thistle went to Dundee utd but came back because he was homesick i don't know if he played for the 1st team and then in the early nineties the wee naff Colin Mitchell left Thistle for Reading he also came back(can't remember the reason why) and became a grade A a**e at Caley.

Great comments Dawyckstag.
I am certain 99.99% of the human population would agree with you on Colin Mitchell.
I did think off Colin Hendry, it’s only a bit of fun, but! As Easter Ross Massive has stated East of Elgin is not the Promised Land.
Thinking back, Jocky (Junior) Clark went to Dundee Utd.
Robbie Williamson went to Rangers, I think he got homesick, then became a brilliant player for Ross County; Charlie Christie never kicked a ball when he was up against Robbie.
Now then, James Mackay Brora, think he had a spell at Hibs, came back North and played for County.

(03-01-2012, 11:39 AM)Fleackeuy Wrote: Great comments Dawyckstag.
I am certain 99.99% of the human population would agree with you on Colin Mitchell.
I did think off Colin Hendry, it’s only a bit of fun, but! As Easter Ross Massive has stated East of Elgin is not the Promised Land.
Thinking back, Jocky (Junior) Clark went to Dundee Utd.
Robbie Williamson went to Rangers, I think he got homesick, then became a brilliant player for Ross County; Charlie Christie never kicked a ball when he was up against Robbie.
Now then, James Mackay Brora, think he had a spell at Hibs, came back North and played for County.

What about Mark Ridgers?
Played for Scotland under 21's last night.
County sold him to Hearts, don't think he has played first team for Hearts.
If memory serves me, they farmed him out to East Fife.

If we include Elgin, then both Steven Pressley and Chris Clark are "Highland" footballers. Alan Main as well.

How the hell did we miss Robbie? I think Ridgers has been on the bench a few times for the 1st team although as you say he hasn't played for them yet.
I would have thought Nicky Walker would be Elgin as well(seeing as family is from Aberlour) but apparently he was born in Aberdeen.

OOPS! forgot to add.
Robert (Bobby) Geddes
Invergordon lad, spell with County then a few clubs South.