Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County V Rangers - Sunday 8th KO 12:00
Hoping to see a reaction after the Motherwell result on Sunday and for us to take advantage of the fact we are at home - Rangers will also be smarting after that Hamilton result - so it should be a tasty one on Sunday.

Game sold out, so should be a cracker!

MON THE STAGGIES!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

So far this season we haven't laid a glove on Rangers. I'd like this to change on Sunday but I don't have high hopes.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Despot Wrote:So far this season we haven't laid a glove on Rangers. I'd like this to change on Sunday but I don't have high hopes.
The form book would suggest a Rangers win....but I certainly didn't see that Hamilton result coming the other night - we simply have to take advantage of our remaining home games - but the others around also have some tricky ties - still plenty football to be played......simply have to give Rangers no respect and get stuck into them from the whistle....hopefully Paton and Draper back in midfield

Hoping for a real cracker of a game!!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Would start the team that finished the Motherwell game. Missing midge and Donaldson is a big negative. Good to have Ross Stewart back. Would like to see tilson or draper brought into centre midfield alongside vigurs.

Given our last 3 games are against Hamilton, Hearts and St Mirren anything from this would be a big boost going into that run.

Didn't expect anything at Pittodrie after a pretty patchy performance against St Johnstone, but was pleasantly surprised. Was quite looking forward to the Motherwell game and we got absolutely pumped. Not quite sure therefore whither to be looking forward to this or dreading it. No better time to be playing Rangers but that doesn't seem to matter a jot.

I'd hope if Stewart is fit enough to start SKSF are tempted to put him in from the start, and give Vigurs the weekend off.
Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili

"Freedom Is Best, I Tell Thee True, Of All Things To Be Won.
Then Never Live Within The Bonds Of Slavery My Son" William Wallace (1270-1305)

Hopefully Paton is back and our midfield won't have a combined age of 150.

Donaldson being out is a big miss for this one, though Stewart being back is nice, still not sure defenders know quite what to do with him.

Would be nice if Rangers fans in the home ends get kicked out this time, not holding my breath on that one.

We need to avoid a Cowie/Vigurs midfield at all costs. The likes of Arfield will run past them all day.

staggie2509 Wrote:The form book would suggest a Rangers win....but I certainly didn't see that Hamilton result coming the other night - we simply have to take advantage of our remaining home games - but the others around also have some tricky ties - still plenty football to be played......simply have to give Rangers no respect and get stuck into them from the whistle....hopefully Paton and Draper back in midfield

Hoping for a real cracker of a game!!
we all hope for a good game but I suspect the managers will pack out the midfield have the team sit deep and try to hit on the break to keep the score down unfortunately our goal difference is so bad it wont really matter if we get beat by 1 or 6 so like you and thousands of others I say all out attack

(03-07-2020, 10:43 AM)Despot Wrote: We need to avoid a Cowie/Vigurs midfield at all costs. The likes of Arfield will run past them all day.

Have to agree with you. Can’t play them together, they just don’t have the legs. Also from a football point of view they aren’t compatible. You need a player that is going to do the dirty work, the ugly stuff that these guys don’t do. Tilson or draper etc are the counterbalance to the more technical style. I have to say I think Cowie isn’t a starter for me anymore. I think he is a player to come off the bench.

(03-07-2020, 05:51 PM)Johnr Wrote: Have to agree with you. Can’t play them together, they just don’t have the legs. Also from a football point of view they aren’t compatible. You need a player that is going to do the dirty work, the ugly stuff that these guys don’t do. Tilson or draper etc are the counterbalance to the more technical style. I have to say I think Cowie isn’t a starter for me anymore. I think he is a player to come off the bench.

I'd go for the three in midfield but go with Spence/Draper/Tilson (depending on which of those three are fit). Rangers are off form and we need to harass, press and hound them in packs.

Accies taking 6/6 has really cranked the pressure up, even if Hearts drawing and St Mirren getting papped is a bonus.

Tilson might be a good shout actually, got some good energy and isn't afraid to press opposing players.

After this afternoon's results our place has got even more precarious, with Hamilton winning and hearts picking up recent points too. If we hadn't beaten Aberdeen the other weekend we'd be 11th, need some more luck tomorrow!

(03-07-2020, 06:11 PM)Despot Wrote: I'd go for the three in midfield but go with Spence/Draper/Tilson (depending on which of those three are fit). Rangers are off form and we need to harass, press and hound them in packs.

Accies taking 6/6 has really cranked the pressure up, even if Hearts drawing and St Mirren getting papped is a bonus.

Yeah three in the midfield I’d like to see also, although I do think vigurs has to play for his vision, but he needs guys around him to counterbalance his attributes. No one has the vision he has which is a shame because I do think there’s times where he needs to be rested for a weekend. I think having Ross Stewart back is a huge plus, he’s been missed terribly, as has midge. 

as you say I think the trick is to press and hound them, they don’t like teams stepping onto them. Tactics and correct selection is paramount in this game. Yeah exactly, need points on the board or Accies will catch us.

I was at the most recent match against them at Ibrox at the end of January. That was the on!y County game I can ever recall where we had zero attempts on target over the ninety minutes.  I thought that County showed their opponents too much respect that night and as a result were too far too precautionary and incredibly timid against a slow and poor looking Rangers side. 

Rangers have only won one of their last four league games (a 1-0 win) and are in a bit of turmoil.  Their Captain has been heavily slated by their fans for his comments in the match programme against Hamilton last week.  Basically saying that within domestic games that when teams put pressure on them and get in their faces it affects them too much and they are not good enough to react to that !!!

County have historically had a strong  tradition over the years of getting in teams faces, closing out, chasing, winning challenges and taking the game to their (often higher division)  opponents and coming away with wins.  That legacy pre-dates the current side.  It is however an important aspect of who Ross County are.

For me the key word tomorrow will be character.  Our co - managers had that In spades when they both played for County. They have been there and done it.

The leveller in the modern era is that both sides should have roughly equivalent fitness levels.  Our training facilities are second to none. Rangers have technically better players. However, do County have the character, mental toughness, desire and collective belief to win the game ?

To have a good chance we need to play a higher line, press more, be braver on the ball and take advantage of the current poor form and apparent lack of confidence of the away side, which is shared by their supporters.  They are also under pressure.

They may also play a weakened side with their European game coming up in a few days.

I also agree with many of the comments on this thread about the need to change the County midfield personnel and formation given the capitulation against Motherwell. That is where the game was effectively lost. If Ross Draper  is fit we need his 6' 4"  physicality in there together with a better balance, including higher energy . Ross Stewart should also start.

The recent results of the teams around us has led to the gap being closed.

This is also Ross County's seventh season in the top flight v their fourth  :D

Given the above - and with the correct tactics, character and belief -there is no good reason why County cannot come away with a point or all three.......

Our ‘goals against’ column tells you all you need to know. Time for the managers to sort this out or we’re being dragged into the bunfight at the bottom. Today gives us a free hit at a poor Sevco side. Looks like Morelos ain’t in the travelling party which helps. One game at a time but can’t help but look towards next Saturday. COYS

Didn't think we deserved to lose that tbh, thought a draw would have been fair.

Really rued the Mckay and Stewart misses. Stewart would have smashed that in before his injury.

Heartening despite the result after the Fir Park capitulation.

Hard to bear County. Didn’t do too much wrong and plenty of positives. Hopefully we get a few more displays like this and all will be fine. COYS

Actually quite disappointed with that

Aside from a couple of counters, we offered nothing going forward against an extremely underwhelming opposition. They had a glaring weakness in Polster at RB (witness Mullzy on his weaker side getting some joy against him) and yet we were neither willing nor able to properly exploit it. Hard to claim we were unlucky- we conceded so much territory and so many chances (not to mention an inability to properly retain the ball and build moves through midfield) that it was always likely 1 would go in eventually
There was absolutely no point going for damage limitation today- our GD is already so far inferior to our direct rivals there's no point in trying to protect it
Laidlaw feigning injury after getting mugged by the corner flag (no, really) is why we don't have concussion substitutions in football
What was up with our substitutions, or rather lack of them? Fresh legs in midfield and/or in attack were needed far earlier than the last 10 minutes. On that note, as much as he's an investment for the future as much as anything, you've got to wonder what Oli Shaw must be thinking
Saturday is huge
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(03-08-2020, 09:01 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: Actually quite disappointed with that

Aside from a couple of counters, we offered nothing going forward against an extremely underwhelming opposition. They had a glaring weakness in Polster at RB (witness Mullzy on his weaker side getting some joy against him) and yet we were neither willing nor able to properly exploit it. Hard to claim we were unlucky- we conceded so much territory and so many chances (not to mention an inability to properly retain the ball and build moves through midfield) that it was always likely 1 would go in eventually
There was absolutely no point going for damage limitation today- our GD is already so far inferior to our direct rivals there's no point in trying to protect it
Laidlaw feigning injury after getting mugged by the corner flag (no, really) is why we don't have concussion substitutions in football
What was up with our substitutions, or rather lack of them? Fresh legs in midfield and/or in attack were needed far earlier than the last 10 minutes. On that note, as much as he's an investment for the future as much as anything, you've got to wonder what Oli Shaw must be thinking
Saturday is huge

8 bodies in the dug out,maybe no room for subs,! Co managers,probably medical man and the young fella who does half time warm ups,what do the rest contribute?

Looks like Richard Brittain has been left in charge of the half-time pies. Quite what he’s doing in the dugout is beyond me.