Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Morton - 6th August
So after a less than convincing start to the season so far, how do we think we'll do against Morton in the first game of the league?

Morton have been impressive in their cup games, with Di Giacomo scoring 5 in 2 games. Could yet another ex County player be coming back to haunt us?

A small part of me is relieved I'll be missing this in favour of Belladrum.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

I might be heading to Belladrum too. Haven't decided yet. On current form I'd take a draw right now.

(08-01-2011, 11:29 PM)staggy4life Wrote: I might be heading to Belladrum too. Haven't decided yet. On current form I'd take a draw right now.

Yeah I'd settle for a draw, just as long as Di Giac doesn't score.

You must have a ticket for belladrum then??

http://www.gmfc.net/Squad/

Looking at their squad they've got some decent players there. If I remember correctly Archie Campbell tormented our defence when Cowdenbeath grabbed a 1-1 draw at Victoria Park with his direct running and pace and think he hit the bar from 20 yards out.

And of course, Di Giacomo will probably score against us or at the very least give us horrible problems with his link up play and movement.

Will take a scrappy 1-0 win.

Defensively I am quite concerned about this game, which is a surprise considering how good we were defensively last season..
It's not only Di Giacamo we have to worry about, but the other striker Jackson at Morton has also scored 5 goals in the same 2 games - so something is obviously working well there.

2 - 0 Morton

At the moment we are worse than the team we had season. I think we may have better players but playing worse as a team. That is either not gelling yet or the manager, time will tell. We just seem to have picked up where DA left us last season, struggling.

it's a different story in the league...we only need to be concentrate in order not to concede easy goals...I think a draw can be to easiest result...may be a 1 - 1...I hope to start as last season with a 2 - 0 win....

Not sure what I'm basing this on other than we have a good record against Morton, but I'm going for a good 2-1 win.

From what I've heard Flynn was no great shakes at RB and Miller played well when he came on, so I think Adams will go for a more familiar back 4 with Fitz, Munro Miller and one of Flynn or Boyd. Pretty similar to last season, so hopefully no mis-understandings on Saturday.

Be good to get a win against what looks like an impressive Morton side, and hopefully set us up for a competitive season.
Dico Tibi Verum, Libertas Optima Rerum: Nunquam Servili Sub Nexu Vivito, Fili

"Freedom Is Best, I Tell Thee True, Of All Things To Be Won.
Then Never Live Within The Bonds Of Slavery My Son" William Wallace (1270-1305)

Away win probably, which means me missing it is a good thing. If we sneak a draw I will be delighted, but we aren't likely to do that.

I just watched on morton website the team...they look not so invincible... mc caffrey on defence and stewart between the sticks...they have a french winger who looks to be dangerous...but I think if we play decent level of football (the opposite of elgin game...) we can win...

Thumbs Up 
Hoping to sneak away from Belladrum for this one. Make it worth my while County!
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

1-1 at best.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

(08-03-2011, 10:37 PM)staggie34 Wrote:
1-1 at best.

Not sure about the score but I agree that all the action will be on the right wing.

(08-02-2011, 09:31 PM)Les Westander Wrote: Hoping to sneak away from Belladrum for this one. Make it worth my while County!

Del made an appearance for a Q&A session at the spoken-word tent on the Friday last year. Keep an eye out to see if he's doing the same this time.

I think we never used Di Giacamo to his potential when he played for us, I really rated him and have him down as a SPL standard player.

A good performance is a must and with it being a home game I think we may win with the odd goal.

Belladrum Vs The County game, Im off to Spain on Monday so I think I will see the County as starting a holiday with a hangover wont be a good idea.
Highlander29

MFR saying Fitz twisted ankle in training and is out along with Morrow, Wood, and obviously McCormack.

From the P&J:

The tag of First Division favourites does not sit easily with Ross County manager Derek Adams.
The Dingwall club has been widely tipped to gain promotion to the SPL, but Adams believes he has fewer resources than previous manager Jimmy Calderwood had at his disposal.
Seven players arrived in the summer, but after losing Andy Barrowman, Michael McGovern and Paul di Giacomo from last season’s squad the County manager insists he has not been given a significant amount to spend on new recruits.
The Staggies host Morton in the opening game of the First Division season at Victoria Park tomorrow and Adams said: “A lot of clubs have changed players and it will be a competitive league again.
“We finished eighth last year and we would like to improve on that and finish in the top half of the table. There is no point in making predictions as there are any number of teams in the division who could do well, to talk about anyone else is disrespectful.
“We have not spent a lot of money on players, I would like to clarify that, I don’t know where it has come from.”
He added: “There are only two full-time staff in the current backroom team – (assistant manager) Stuart Balmer and I – there were four last year in Jimmy Calderwood, Scott Calderwood, Gordon Connelly and Stuart.
“There is a reduction in staff at my disposal from the tailend of last season.
“We have one more player than last year in the squad, we lost six in the summer and took in seven players and we need to move two players on.
“We will actually be one worse off than last season and previous managers had bigger squads to work with.
“If you look into it you don’t have to be a mathematician to see we have not spent more money.”
Adams intends to play a more attacking style than last term, starting against Morton.
He said: “The leading scorer in the league last year was Andy Barrowman on five goals.
“We have to score more goals and with that there is going to be a risk.
“Defensively we will be up against it at times as we are going to be more open and have more forward thinking players on the park rather than of a defensive nature.
“We need goals from throughout the team and a lot more of them.
“The forward players who play the majority of the games need to score 15 goals plus and the midfielders who play the majority of the games need to be aiming for eight to 10 goals – those are the kind of returns we are looking at.”

(08-05-2011, 11:40 AM)staggy4life Wrote: From the P&J:

The tag of First Division favourites does not sit easily with Ross County manager Derek Adams.
The Dingwall club has been widely tipped to gain promotion to the SPL, but Adams believes he has fewer resources than previous manager Jimmy Calderwood had at his disposal.
Seven players arrived in the summer, but after losing Andy Barrowman, Michael McGovern and Paul di Giacomo from last season’s squad the County manager insists he has not been given a significant amount to spend on new recruits.
The Staggies host Morton in the opening game of the First Division season at Victoria Park tomorrow and Adams said: “A lot of clubs have changed players and it will be a competitive league again.
“We finished eighth last year and we would like to improve on that and finish in the top half of the table. There is no point in making predictions as there are any number of teams in the division who could do well, to talk about anyone else is disrespectful.
“We have not spent a lot of money on players, I would like to clarify that, I don’t know where it has come from.”
He added: “There are only two full-time staff in the current backroom team – (assistant manager) Stuart Balmer and I – there were four last year in Jimmy Calderwood, Scott Calderwood, Gordon Connelly and Stuart.
“There is a reduction in staff at my disposal from the tailend of last season.
“We have one more player than last year in the squad, we lost six in the summer and took in seven players and we need to move two players on.
“We will actually be one worse off than last season and previous managers had bigger squads to work with.
“If you look into it you don’t have to be a mathematician to see we have not spent more money.”
Adams intends to play a more attacking style than last term, starting against Morton.
He said: “The leading scorer in the league last year was Andy Barrowman on five goals.
“Defensively we will be up against it at times as we are going to be more open and have more forward thinking players on the park rather than of a defensive nature.
“The forward players who play the majority of the games need to score 15 goals plus and the midfielders who play the majority of the games need to be aiming for eight to 10 goals – those are the kind of returns we are looking at.”

Spot on. Good comments by Del. Very realistic.
SHIRT NUMBER 34.

(formerly named Geordieland Staggie).

Registered member since March 2003.

However, there is something to be said of the other teams letting players go and not replacing them like-for-like e.g. Queen of the South, Dundee and Falkirk. County will have larger squads than those clubs and will justifiably have more expected on them.

Quote:The forward players who play the majority of the games need to score 15 goals plus and the midfielders who play the majority of the games need to be aiming for eight to 10 goals – those are the kind of returns we are looking at

Is that each, or among them? Blush

(08-05-2011, 11:40 AM)staggy4life Wrote: From the P&J:

So Basically were going to go out with the philosophy of we will just score one more goal than the opposition? Well should be fun seeing how this works out.
"it's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"
Muhammed Ali