Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Partick Vs County
What a day! Ayr lose at home. Utd only draw and we come back from 2-0 down to win 4-2.

Brilliant.

Excellent to come from 2-0 down at ht to win 2-4. Ross Stewart apparently ran Patrick defence ragged, as well as scoring twice.

Lindsay and McKay (pen) with the other goals.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(02-23-2019, 05:37 PM)MOGO Wrote: Take another look.
74 minutes, Stewart scores, fingers crossed for 3 points.

Luckily didn't need to take another look as I was there. Shame about yourself.

Well done to the usual lot that travelled.

(02-23-2019, 12:02 AM)wemyss77 Wrote: Looking forward to this one. If you see a short/slightly overweight/bald man with a young lad with red hair say hello!!!

Describes 90% of the County support....

(02-23-2019, 06:02 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Luckily didn't need to take another look as I was there. Shame about yourself.

Well done to the usual lot that travelled.

What makes you think I wasn’t there?
What’s this shame about yourself ?
Get a grip.

Got to admit I’ve had big reservations about Fergie and Ketts. That performance totally dispels these thoughts. Fantastic show of character today. I honestly think we’ll romp to victory against Ayr United. Dundee United need to put together a four/five game winning sequence just to keep up with us. This could yet be a stroll to the title. COYS

Today proved that football is a funny old game.

Or to use another well worn cliche, if ever there was a proverbial game of two halves this was it.

County found themselves 2 -0 down within the first 25 minutes against a hungry home side who showed why they had been unbeaten in seven - part of which has been down to some shrewd transfer business in January. Thistle were well worth their lead. They over ran County's !lightweight midfield. Played with confidence and poise. After the second went in, we were genuinely left wondering how many more would they score. Indeed, a neutral would have assumed they were the league leaders and County were the team in the relegation mix. As it was, County managed to get to the break without conceding again.

Whatever the County management said at half time totally worked. It proved that psychology plays a significant part in changing games. It really was a superb second half collective performance which resulted in four County goals without reply. It could have been more. Today was a marker. I think we will win the league. I think the players now believe it too.

A great team effort in the second half. Stand out for me today was the constantly improving Ross Stewart. He scored two, won the penalty and was involved in the other goal.

This was one of the best ever County comebacks given that an hour before fu!l time a defeat looked inevitable. You could see what it meant to the players and management at the end when they came over to the corner section of the Jackie Husband stand to celebrate with the 250 or so in the County support.

Jamie Lindsay came in for Ross Draper as County were otherwise unchanged to the side that started in the Scottish Cup replay three days earlier, in a 4-4-1-1 formation with McKay playing behind Stewart . Patrick Thistle went into the game having gone seven games unbeaten and not having lost in 2019.

The Jags took control of the game in the early stages and started to dominate the midfield. Ross Dealer's physicality was missed.

The first chance came for the home side in the third minute. Christie Elliot slid the ball down the right channel to Fitzpatrick, whose pass from the right wing found Spittal on the right-edge of the penalty box. With time and in space ,his rising shot cleared the bar. What was worrying was the ease with which County were cut open.

County's first chance came two minutes later when Lindsay latched onto a deflection from the half way line. With the Thistle defence caught out he raced forward, passed the ball to the supporting Spence on his right, whose angled shot from the edge of the box cleared the opposite post by several feet. That was followed in the 13th. minute by Mullin cleverly beating his man on the right channel and whipping a dangerous ball towards goal. The referee pulled play up for offside.

The same player was booked for 'diving' a few minutes later despite having seemed to have been cynically taken out by a physical challenge. County CB Boyle also took a bad head knock - bandaged up early on - meaning the game was stopped for several minutes.

That physicality was used to good effect by Thistle who were starting to dominate the game whilst also playing good football. The County defence found themselves under pressure with large gaps apparent between defence and midfield, who were leaving the backline over exposed by not tracking back. That was compounded by Thistle winning the midfield battles,, showing some intricate interplay and Gary Harkins proving to be a real handful.

It was no surprise when the home side took the lead in the 21st. minute with Harkins provider. His chipped ball into the box to Spittal resulted in Fox making a save with his legs. The spilled ball fell to Aidan Fitzpatrick who passed the ball into the net from the centre of the box. The goal resulted from very slack County defending.

A second Thistle goal followed three minutes later after further sustained pressure on the County goal. A Slater corner from the left was headed back across goal -at the back post - by unmarked war horse Kevin Anderson. County failed to clear. Christie Elliot capitalised by scoring from the centre of the box. Shocking defending ! The home support were in raptures. The County support were furious.

Just before the half-hour mark, Christie Elliott somehow escaped punishment for a late lunge on Michael Gardyne. Referee Gavin Duncan instead awarded a home free kick for offside, with verbals between both players continuing.

The home side continued to control the game. The County defence were constantly retreating. With little support from midfield, no one was taking responsibility. Keith Watson pulled off a last-gasp, defensive block to prevent a third Jags goal on the half hour mark. That was followed by Soittal spurning another chance to increase the home lead, by shooting wide from 20 yards after Harkins had cut open the County defence down the left, with VDW also giving the ball away.

County's defensive problems continued when Boyle went to ground again. With the game stopped for a second time, Boyle was unfit to continue and became County's fourth crocked CB - with the other three all out long term. The ever reliable Grivosti came on to replace him, eight minutes before the break.

A rare County chance followed on 45 minutes when Stewart headed a Mullin delivery from a corner over the bar 12 yards out. Five minutes of added time followed as a result of the stoppages caused by Boyle's injury.

At half time Patrick Thistle were well worthy of their two goal lead.

The County performance in the second half was totally transformed as they took the game to their hosts and started to play with a urgency and new found energy levels -straight from the restart.

County pulled a goal back within two minutes when Fraser floated a cross into the box from the right, after some neat build up play. A fluffed defensive clearance, when the ball landed, only resulted in it being moved a couple of yards.. Ross Stewart capitalised by rifling the loose ball high into the net from close range.

County buoyed by the noisy away support started to pin a jittery looking Thistle back - for the first time in the contest.

Kenny Van Der Weg came within inches of equalizing on 53 minutes when he headed the ball narrowly wide after connecting with a Spence delivery. That had followed a sustained period of pressure when County forced three consecutive corners.

Just before the hour mark, Scott Fox did well to parry a close range Penrice shot out for for a corner, at his near post, after the home player drove into the left side of the box, turning Fraser. Little did we know then, that would prove to be the home side's only effort on goal of the second half (excluding a wild Scott McDonald effort in added time that went out for a throw-in on the far side ! ).

Shortly afterwards a Ross Stewart header at the near post area - connecting with a Mullin cross from the right - was glanced a few feet wide. A difficult chance.

The equaliser came four minutes later. Stewart was involved again when his close range shot was blocked and from the play that followed Lindsay lashed a powerful shot into the net from 20 yards out, giving the Jags keeper no chance.

The home heads went down, their confidence was shot, their support became edgy and there looked like there was going to be one winner. County sensed blood. The luvvies sensed yet another ruined Saturday.

County started to knock the ball around with confidence.

Two minutes after the equaliser Billy Mckay had a good chance to score when, following some great interplay, Marcus Fraser rolled a pass into the feet of the County striker from the right. Unmarked, McKay uncharacteristically skied the ball over the bar from the right edge of the penalty box.

Shortly afterwards Gardyne raced down the left and played a perfect, pacy, low cross along the middle of the six yard box. A defender's nightmare, but no County player able to connect.

County continued to ramp up the pressure.

The third goal came on the 74th. minute when the leaping Stewart bulleted a close range header high into the net, connecting with an inswinging Mullin corner from the left. Cue Thistle exodus.

County made it 4 -2, five minutes later, when man of the match Stewart was taken out by Jack McMillan as he drove into the left side of the penalty box with the ball at his feet, looking like he would score again. Billy McKay blasted the penalty into the net, giving the keeper no chance. Cue mass Thistle exodus.

Brian Graham replaced Billy McKay with ten minutes left and proved a real handful for the jaded home defence as County stretched the game further.

Don Cowie got a run out for the last seven minutes, replacing Josh Mullin.

Lewis Spence almost scored a fifth goal - with five minutes left -when set up by a pass following a brilliant Gardyne run down the left - Gardyne managing to stop the ball dead, changing direction which took out the defence. Spence's close range shot was well saved by the keeper.

What a fantastic turnaround - winning the game when defeat looked likely at half-time. A brilliant second half performance. Whilst continuing to have an injury ravaged squad.

Today the players and management have demonstrated they have what it takes.........

Thumbs Up 
(02-24-2019, 01:08 AM)Fyrish-stag Wrote: ...

Today the players and management have demonstrated they have what it takes.........

Brilliant report and a brilliant second half. From the highlights I'd say that none of the 6 goals were beautiful creations but it was all about character and belief - necessary qualities to get promotion out of this league.

Come on You Staggies!
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Superb day out.

First half we were awful really and was siting there wondering why we were top of the league. I honestly thought Partick were going to go on and simply hammer us. We seem to be slow to attack, lacked ideas, sloppy and disorganised at the back, and what we were trying was not coming off. Although for all the fouls we ended up with more yellows come the break which did not seem right, but this is maybe my obvious bias.

I was talking to a few folks around us and we were saying what would you change to sort it but none of us could see any obvious option. Then the second half and we were all proved wrong, thankfully!

The second half we were everything we were not in the first. Quick, accurate and confident. Getting to HT without losing another and an early first goal and it was setup for us. Funny old game. Partick crumbled after our 1st and there only looked like one team that would go onto win then, fans and players sensed it I think. They all came onto a came the second that is for sure.

For me there needs to be a special mention to Ross Stewart, thought we was simply awesome throughout, chased everything on the ground and air, being a complete menace to their defence. He must be first name on the team sheet for Tuesday. His will be a big player for us in the run in.

We were beside Jamie Lindsay family in the stand (not knowingly at the time) and his little lad was speaking to mine. He is only a toddler but knowledge was unreal. After one of the goals he was like " who scored, was it Ross, Billy, Marcus, Daddy". So cute and when we figured out Daddy was on the pitch!

Great to see the management and players over at the stand at the end and agree with earlier comments, it was a real sense of yes we really are going to do this, and I think we will.

Just wish I could make more games......

(02-23-2019, 06:03 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: Describes 90% of the County support....

Ah yes, never thought of that!!!

(02-23-2019, 10:51 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Supporters bus heading to the Star & Garter Mark, which is 5mins walk down the road from the ground.

Ah the wee man was not allowed into this classy establishment!!! Good to see you and Lynn in the distance though Stuart. Hope you both had a good day.

(02-24-2019, 01:08 AM)Fyrish-stag Wrote: Today the players and management have demonstrated they have what it takes.........

Great report and very accurate, thanks for all the effort putting these up. They are equally readable if you are at the game or not!

How do you manage to watch the game and take such good notes??

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Good to read other people's opinions of the game.

I started to do reports again now that we don't get nearly as much coverage as in the Premiership. Obviously get some things wrong with one look at play - sometimes from a distance - but try to keep the County propaganda train rolling !!

Related to that point, the powers that be kept the more ambitious Highland League clubs out of the Scottish Leagues for decades and refused their applications. We are always always very heavily outnumbered at most away games and isolated geographically. There is a certain romanticism about being the underdog. Hence pushing a slight Ross County agenda in the reports..

The opinions in the reports are personal, based on my own thoughts of the game, which are not the way others may see things. Healthy to have debate.

Wemyss77 - good on you for travelling such a long way. I was talking to you and your lad outside Hampden before the League Cup Final.

In reply to your question, I don't take many notes. I put 5 or 6 words in shorthand for each attempt on goal - including time and players- into my phone and expand when typing up. In an average game that would maybe be 15 -20 attempts. So maybe 5-6 minutes between each one to type a few words. So fairly easy to watch the whole game. The rest is just observation.

Doing reports also prevents boredom setting in at the game (although there was none of that yesterday) !

Ketts & Fergie have had their critics at times this season but to be 2-0 down at half time after losing a midweek game after extra time and pens + a long injury list, to comeback and win 4-2 deserves a lot of applause. We are now 5pts clear with a game in hand. Ayr game at home will be important as aye have lost their way a little and if we win then I’d say that’s them done, wheels have fallen off the wagon. I’d imagine some players will still be tired after a busy fixture list so we need to dig deep! The Dundee Utd game is massive and I really hope we bring a big support down to that. Although they drew with Falkirk there, they are a new squad and under lazlo they’d of lost that. They’ve got consistency and will keep getting better so if we can win that then I dare say we’ll be on our way. Fantastic result. Looking forward to a challenge cup final too!