Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motherwell v County 19/1/19 Scottish Cup
Question 
With our patched-up, make-shift, what-else-can-we-try squad travelling to Motherwell this weekend, can we expect to make it to the next round?

Insert suggested formations here
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(01-17-2019, 05:58 PM)Les Westander Wrote: With our patched-up, make-shift, what-else-can-we-try squad travelling to Motherwell this weekend, can we expect to make it to the next round?

Insert suggested formations here

If we can keep to fewer than 10, it’ll be a positive.

Fox
Fraser Watson Grivosti Kenny
Mullin Draper Cowie Spence Gardyne
Mckay

Actually that team isn’t terrible, but they’ll play terribly.

Edit: is Spence cup-tied? Lindsay in for him if so.

(01-17-2019, 06:51 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: If we can keep to fewer than 10, it’ll be a positive.

Fox
Fraser Watson Grivosti Kenny
Mullin Draper Cowie Spence Gardyne
Mckay

Actually that team isn’t terrible, but they’ll play terribly.

Edit: is Spence cup-tied? Lindsay in for him if so.

I’m surprised nothing has happened Spence and Kenny forced signings and not very good ones, due to injuries , If Linzay would play his own game and not try to imitate Vigurs ,who he will never replace anyway ,
I never thought I’d say this but we need to change our style plus players

(01-17-2019, 07:42 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: I’m surprised nothing has happened Spence and Kenny forced signings and not very good ones, due to injuries , If Linzay would play his own game and not try to imitate Vigurs ,who he will never replace anyway ,
I never thought I’d say this but we need to change our style plus players

Lindsay is having to play slightly within himself because Draper isn’t in his regular position. I agree. The imbalance of the squad is slightly concerning. A centre half and a winger would bring so much more balance. I hear that a winger will be signing after Saturday, but that could be rubbish.

I would say same team as Savage Henry but we need to tighten space CB and midfield to allow fullbacks to attack and have Gardyne and Mullin play not so wide to tighten up center of midfield.

Might head along to this one, very decent ticket pricing, not much hope and I can’t see us going to hampden this season so less cup games means more focus on the league but hey you never know. Challenge cup semi final and hopfully final too so quite content with promotion and a challenge cup if it comes (fingers crossed). Pretty physical Motherwell team so part of me wants to see graham up top of he’s not banned any longer and McManus for a bit of graft. Lindsay and draper back in the middle too.
Fox
Watson Fraser Grivo KVDW
Mulling Lindsay Draper Midgd
McManus Graham

Alternatively a middle 3 of Lindsay draper and Cowie. I know Motherwell play one up top quite often but they’ve got McCormack now so who knows maybe a back 3 of Watson Fraser Grivo.

Mullen is suspended, Cowie is an injury doubt and Kelly has been back in training and is available ( P&J).
Kelly obviously hasn't played for ages, but he would probably still be a better option than VDW going by last weeks evidence!

Fear another hammering. Hopefully we will try something different and will be some positives.

(01-18-2019, 08:22 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Mullen is suspended, Cowie is an injury doubt and Kelly has been back in training and is available ( P&J).
Kelly obviously hasn't played for ages, but he would probably still be a better option than VDW going by last weeks evidence!

County don't have anyone to cover right midfield without moving someone out of position. DKD could have come in and Gardyne moved over. I guess McManus will have to do a shift there.

Half time, 0-0. Is Kenny playing CB? With Kelly on as well, I'd assume so.

BRIAN GRAHAM

IS MY HERO
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(01-19-2019, 04:57 PM)Despot Wrote: Half time, 0-0. Is Kenny playing CB? With Kelly on as well, I'd assume so.

BRIAN GRAHAM

IS MY HERO

Yes.......just hang on boys. Even better 2-0 Brian Graham....

Never jangling again.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

FT 1 -2 County are through!
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Brian Graham might be sneakily becoming one of my favourite signings of recent years. Hates the Caley, scores important goals.

(01-18-2019, 09:04 AM)wemyss77 Wrote: Fear another hammering. Hopefully we will try something different and will be some positives.

Oh yea of little faith!
Must admit, I did fear a defeat.
But hey-ho, if this County team play wither heart, head, and hunger , they are capable.
Only problem is we keep going up and down with our play.
Still, top of the league, in the next round of the Scottish Cup, so, not bad for a team not playing that well every week.
Just hope this is kick start and upwards and onwards to the league title, throw in the Scottish Cup as well.
PS, a bit lippy from the BBC to call it a shock.

Well I don’t think anyone was expecting that!

What a result can't wait to see game tonight Well down the and management thanks for proving me wrong
Bring on next round and rest of league games
COYS

(01-19-2019, 06:18 PM)MOGO Wrote: Oh yea of little faith!
Must admit, I did fear a defeat.
But hey-ho, if this County team play wither heart, head, and hunger , they are capable.
Only problem is we keep going up and down with our play.
Still, top of the league, in the next round of the Scottish Cup, so, not bad for a team not playing that well every week.
Just hope this is kick start and upwards and onwards to the league title, throw in the Scottish Cup as well.
PS, a bit lippy from the BBC to call it a shock.

I’m stunned that they won. Of course it’s a shock.

The rest of your post I concur.

Didn't see that one coming.

I called out the co-managers last week for getting the tactics badly wrong in the 4-0 thrashing by Q.O.S.

However, they deserve praise today for getting it absolutely right in what was a totally deserved win to dump Motherwell out of the Scottish cup, for a place in the last 16.

Last week's 4-4-2 formation was replaced with a more solid 4-1-4-1. The suspended Fraser returned at RB to displace Grivosti, VDW was moved from LB to left CB to take Draper's place, as Draper moved further forward as the defensive midfielder, injury victim Sean Kelly made a welcome return at LB. McManus replaced the suspended Mullin in right midfield-to join Spence, Lindsay and Gardyne who all retained their starting places and the experienced Graham played as a lone striker, with last week's ineffective front two of McKay and Stewart dropping to the bench.

Today's County performance was everything that last week's performance wasn't. There was hunger, desire, ability, capability, energy, high pressing, discipline, workrate and belief. I personally felt that the 2-1 scoreline flattered Motherwell. The home side never looked dangerous until the last ten minutes when County used their more experienced line up to see the game out with some no nonsense defending and some great blocks. Although Motherwell did score through a close range Hastie header in added time it was too little too late.

I thought Graham did brilliantly in the sole striker role. He cleverly got himself in the right place at the right time for both goals to connect with McManus crosses from the right.. The first, a well directed close range header on 52 minutes, and the second,a well placed shot from about three yards out 8 minutes later. Not only did he take both chances that came his way, he tirelessly harrassed the Motherwell back line when they were in possession chasing down every ball.

Indeed after the second goal County continued to have the upper hand and came very close to adding a third. Graham almost got a hat-trick in the 76th. minute when his close range,diagonal shot rebounded off the bar. One minute later the home keeper pulled off a brilliant save from a dipping McManus shot at his near post.

For me, McManus was out best player today. Outwith that effort, and setting up both goals he had three other direct attempts on target. The first was early in the game when his effort from outside the box was claimed on the goal line by Gillespie. The second was shortly after half time when the keeper did well to save a low diagonal shot. The third was a wicked, dipping shot from 30 yards out - in the 76th. minute-which swerved inches wide of the wrong side of the right-hand post,at the last second. That was right in front of the County support who had a great view of it. It also meant that McManus was involved in six of the seven County efforts on target.

What was also pleasing was the performance of the other midfielders and the defence.

Draper provided have that much needed steel, not only breaking up play but taking no prisoners with some crunching tackles. Lindsay provided creativity and a willingness to attack. Indeed he came close to scoring just after half time but was denied by a low Gillespie save when through on goal.

Spence also did well showing creativity, good passing in right spaces and some tough tackling when needed. Gardyne went on some mazy runs to create space for others and also tracked back effectively.

The experienced defence were excellent. Fraser's non nonsense approach let little get past him. Watson was back to his reliable best. Kelly was very composed, was comfortable on the ball and showed his excellent passing ability to good effect. Special mention, however, to VDW who was brilliant today at CB. He was more than a match for Curtis Maine, giving him no time or space. Indeed with 12 minutes left Maine was clean through on goal but was denied by a perfectly timed, sliding, tackle by the Dutchman, which not only prevented a certain goal but left the big Motherwell striker crumpled in a heap ! Well played Kenny.

Things are looking a lot better this week (and that is without Vigurs, Mullin, Morris, Cowie and our top scorer).

The best County performance in a couple of months and a well deserved win.......