Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Queen of the South Away
Oh dear. Horrible pitch and superb QoS forward play really showed us up. Only Gardyne offered anything vreative. And he hit the bar. The defence bar Fox a nightmare. Not a good day for the Grivosti supporting Liverpudlians to see the County.

(01-12-2019, 11:06 PM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: You are better off not knowing mate

Oh dear. I had really hoped he'd come back better than he was before, and a bit fitter. Oops!

(01-12-2019, 11:06 PM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: You are better off not knowing mate

Wasnt at the game yesterday so I can't comment on that but what I do think is that VDW required a lot of marshalling from the likes of Davies or Quinn. I'm not convinced We've got that leadership from the centre of defence. I think that makes it so visible in midfield too.

(01-13-2019, 10:57 AM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: Wasnt at the game yesterday so I can't comment on that but what I do think is that VDW required a lot of marshalling from the likes of Davies or Quinn. I'm not convinced We've got that leadership from the centre of defence. I think that makes it so visible in midfield too.

I think we do when Fontaine is there, without him I don't think there is any vocal leadership. Morris is good, but he's not much of a shouter.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Take Ross Draper out of the midfield and there's absolutely no fight or protection for the defence. A midfield two of Spence/Lindsay isn't going to work.

Watson has had a decent season but he had a nightmare yesterday. One full-back playing "in position", another playing "out of position", yet Grivosti put in a decent shift whilst VDW aimlessly trundled around. Get Grivosti starting every game at CB between now and the end of the season, there's a decent player in there who needs game time in his proper position.

Mullin and Gardyne tried to make things happen but nothing came off for them.

Mckay's best football this season has involved him waiting in the penalty box for a chance, then putting it away. Not grafting 30 yard from goal. Stewart has convinced on occasion then has performances like yesterday where he's as good as a man down unless the ball is in the air.

Think County need a change of shape and personnel until Vigurs is back. Draper and one other in the middle, with 3 behind a sole striker (Graham or Mckay, preferably Graham). Mullin, Gardyne, and someone with a left-foot all behind the striker might actually lead to some "creative" football.

The quality in this league is bloody awful. Major surgery required on any side that goes up, be it County, Ayr, United, or someone else.

(01-13-2019, 02:31 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: Take Ross Draper out of the midfield and there's absolutely no fight or protection for the defence. A midfield two of Spence/Lindsay isn't going to work.

Watson has had a decent season but he had a nightmare yesterday. One full-back playing "in position", another playing "out of position", yet Grivosti put in a decent shift whilst VDW aimlessly trundled around. Get Grivosti starting every game at CB between now and the end of the season, there's a decent player in there who needs game time in his proper position.

Mullin and Gardyne tried to make things happen but nothing came off for them.

Mckay's best football this season has involved him waiting in the penalty box for a chance, then putting it away. Not grafting 30 yard from goal. Stewart has convinced on occasion then has performances like yesterday where he's as good as a man down unless the ball is in the air.

Think County need a change of shape and personnel until Vigurs is back. Draper and one other in the middle, with 3 behind a sole striker (Graham or Mckay, preferably Graham). Mullin, Gardyne, and someone with a left-foot all behind the striker might actually lead to some "creative" football.

The quality in this league is bloody awful. Major surgery required on any side that goes up, be it County, Ayr, United, or someone else.

What a great post, agree with all of that.

Think we are really missing Fontaine who is the best organiser we have at the back with Draper in midfield important as well. Loss of Vigurs hasn’t helped but agree think a tweaked formation is needed. I have wondered about three at the back but can see the players we have might suit a 4 2 3 1. I’d really prefer Draper back in midfield as suggested would probably go with McKay up front with him actually forward as I think he’s our most natural finisher. Think we remain lucky to be top of the league but it’s not a bad base if we can get things going more positively.

Well that was pretty bad, a make shift defence against Dobbie was never going to end well really. Missed Draper in the middle breaking up play so badly which is why it’s so baffling to me so many don’t rate him, least he had the decency to come apologise to the fans after. Grivo looks like he can be a player but sticking him at left back one week then RIght back the next isn’t great, hopfully start playing him at CB more. Fox and midge only 2 other pass marks the other day. Important to bear in mind QOTS have also beat ayr 5-0 this season and took points off Utd. Nicky low in CM for them was fantastic also. 2 in midfield isn’t going to work for us, Shane Vigurs is out for a while badly need him.

(01-14-2019, 02:27 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Well that was pretty bad, a make shift defence against Dobbie was never going to end well really. Missed Draper in the middle breaking up play so badly which is why it’s so baffling to me so many don’t rate him, least he had the decency to come apologise to the fans after. Grivo looks like he can be a player but sticking him at left back one week then RIght back the next isn’t great, hopfully start playing him at CB more. Fox and midge only 2 other pass marks the other day. Important to bear in mind QOTS have also beat ayr 5-0 this season and took points off Utd. Nicky low in CM for them was fantastic also. 2 in midfield isn’t going to work for us, Shane Vigurs is out for a while badly need him.

I genuinely don't know anybody who doesn't rate Draper. Certainly as a central midfielder.

I don't get the line up in defence yesterday. Okay, Draper has to play through necessity there, but Watson is predominantly a right back, and Grivosti a centre back.
I assumed that would have been where they played, but alas not.

(01-14-2019, 08:59 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: I genuinely don't know anybody who doesn't rate Draper. Certainly as a central midfielder.

I don't get the line up in defence yesterday. Okay, Draper has to play through necessity there, but Watson is predominantly a right back, and Grivosti a centre back.

Yes, seems criminal from our viewpoint. Watson showed in a run of games that he was proficient at RB.
So was the idea that Grivo would have more running and pace in him for the wide area? He did get forward a lot on the Left v Morton.

Have to agree that our makeshift shapes, formations & personnel combinations don't seem to be producing either defensive strength or goal-ward penetration. Midfield seems to need a Draper or a Vigurs to compliment the likes of Lindsay. I think Spence is meant to be that guy, but he maybe has to find his feet and his form yet. Maybe throwing in Spence & VdW wasn't the right decision in hindsight.

I'm not too despondent as I believe the boys will work hard and find ways to win again, particularly when we have more personnel options in defence and central midfield.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(01-14-2019, 12:23 PM)Les Westander Wrote: So was the idea that Grivo would have more running and pace in him for the wide area? He did get forward a lot on the Left v Morton.

He just didn't do a lot when he got there.

(01-14-2019, 08:59 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: I genuinely don't know anybody who doesn't rate Draper. Certainly as a central midfielder.

I genuinely don't rate Draper.
His passing is poor, his speed at tracking back is poor, he doesn't help the less experienced players around him, I really cannot see why he is a shoe in to the team.

He is good at breaking up play in midfield, but as often as he breaks up opponent play he disrupts our own.

And most of the section around me in the jailend have the same opinion. He isn't a shadow of the player he was against us when he played for ICT

There are a lot of people who do not rate Draper,and quite a few sit behind me. Don't know if it's the ex Inverness player thing. He just had to walk on the park and it starts "can't believe Draper is getting a start,etc".
For the record I rate him,and without him in midfield we are a soft touch in the middle of the park.

I agree. Play the players in their best positions, and fill in the gaps where you can. To me that means Draper as defensive CM and Grivosti as CB. Surely it’s better than playing boys out of position?

(01-14-2019, 11:33 PM)VENISON Wrote: I genuinely don't rate Draper.
His passing is poor, his speed at tracking back is poor, he doesn't help the less experienced players around him, I really cannot see why he is a shoe in to the team.

He is good at breaking up play in midfield, but as often as he breaks up opponent play he disrupts our own.

And most of the section around me in the jailend have the same opinion. He isn't a shadow of the player he was against us when he played for ICT

I for one, disagree with ^^^^

Draper is the only player who'll put a foot in- other than Vigurs, who you don't want anywhere near a tackle as he's likely to jump in like a nutcase and get sent off.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.