Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Morton vs staggies
For those who missed Colin McMenamin's half-time interview

Q/ and then you went to Ross County tell us about your experience at Ross County how much did you enjoy your time and how much affection do you still have for the club

It's probably my favourite time of being a footballer, I loved the boys up there I had a flat with Rocco Quinn who I'm good mates with we were very successful it didn't start off too well for me up there we really struggled first three games we went away to Hamilton and lost 5-1 the second game of the season we had a chat after it and some reason or another we then went undefeated for the rest of the season in the league I think we won the league by 24 points and I finished up top goal scorer in the league and built up a great partnership with Michael Gardyne and I just loved every minute of it I just felt we were going to score we were going to win we played some great football we were so together it wisnae true it's the most enjoyable time I've had as a footballer I was there for a season and a half and I loved every minute of it

Q / Could you see the seeds of what was happening at Ross County then about what the club was capable of in the terms of its set up in the background

Oh definitely even when I went up there in the first division the background stuff that was going on was there they've a great wee Acadamy up there they have great facilities Roy MacGregor will do anything for Ross County he's a very shrewd man and the way that things are done its all done to a budget it's all done for the community and it's just one of those clubs where everything's down to everything around it it's no into spending lots of money and money they've not got Roy who I've known for a long time just knows what it's all about and it says a lot when he brought Stuart Kettlewell and Fergie as the managers because they know the club they know the community they know the youth players and it's that type of club so it's great to see them where they they are in the game the now they should probably still be in the SPL but I'm hoping after this season they'll be back up

Nice one Colin

(01-05-2019, 06:23 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: We got out of jail(end) there with today's results, see what I did there.
Yes, we are top of the league and we have the management team we all wanted in place but the performances haven't been good enough and we've gotten away with it for a while now, it's only a matter of time before the results match our performances.
What's going on? Is our management team being too loyal to some players? I asked before if our dip in form coincided with Marcus Fraser coming back into the team and some seemed to agree, in the absence of vigurs, just what are Lindsay, cowie bringing to the team and Mackay just isn't as prolific as we all expected him to be yet he's probably one of the first names on the team sheet, should we persist or look elsewhere. Ross stewart is NOT a winger,
Ferguson took absolutely nothing to do with or offer anything in support of Kettlewells dismissal last night, makes me wonder if all is ok between them, which one of them has the final say on team selection, tactics, there's bound to be some sort of disagreement over that.

I agree with some parts I think we have missed Vigurs particularly though even when he has been playing we have issues in midfield. We rely a lot on Draper defensively and he can get a little swamped but we don’t have enough of a spark at times going forward. This has been made worse with Midge out as we have been overly reliant on Mullin. I think Cowie works hard but he doesn’t create as much as I thought he might -I think even Woods had a bit more spark. McKay for me is a good player but we don’t play to his strengths we created very little yesterday it was really depressing. I agree with you re Stewart but I think we need to f8nd some structure for the players we have - do wonder if 3 5 2 might work better not sure but think we have to use yesterday to try something as th8nk we have been lucky the last few weeks performance wise.

Right, I’ve been reluctant to comment on here as I wanted to see how the results went today. For the record I watched on alba and yes we were poor and arguably our worst performance this season. But I can put this down to Morton’s willingness to play for a 0-0 and get lucky, our injury list and team selections. Fraser has been very poor recently and we lacked an overlapping full back. Grivo played decently but he’s not a natural left back and although he did go for some decent overlapping runs, it didn’t seem natural. Ross Stewart is not a winger... can’t fault the boys effort though. In regard to some of the comments left by others (everyone’s entitled to theirs but here’s mine) ketts and Fergie have got us to the top of the league, made decent signings with a reduced budget and had us play some nice football at times, albeit sometimes slow and not tiki taka Barca style but this is the Scottish championship, we aren’t gonna have eye candy football every game. I think the pair have done well first half of the season. A director of football doesn’t help clubs like county because 1 we aren’t paying big transfer fees on uk or foreign players. Managers are basically biting a bullet for another mans signings, yes they have final say but it’s heavily sided. And lastly it’s an extra high earner on the wage bill.

The reason county pass it along the back side to side is to suck players in make space, channels and gaps so we can move up the pitch without losing possession by taking defenders on 1 on 1 and opposition hitting us on the counter which is the majority of teams plans against us. Draper has been getting stick and he wasn’t great last night but the rest of the season he’s been fantastic plugging gaps closing down being an Ariel presence and an outlaying player for us. He was fantastic against caley and if not for him and fox they’d of pumped us. Anyone who thinks midge played bad needs to give their head a wobble, most creative and dangerous player for us. I wonder how midge would do playing as a CAM Role behind the striker and having mullin out wide with DKD or a new signing potentially. Stelios and Vigurs are a big big miss so hope they’re back soon our play will definitely improve.

Truth is we are pish but slightly less pish than the rest of the league more consistently.

Results went our way thankfully, still top of the league, on to the next one

(01-06-2019, 01:58 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Draper has been getting stick and he wasn’t great last night but the rest of the season he’s been fantastic plugging gaps closing down being an Ariel presence

He does look like a fish out of water sometimes.

Badoom tsh.

(01-06-2019, 01:58 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Draper has been getting stick and he wasn’t great last night but the rest of the season he’s been fantastic plugging gaps closing down being an Ariel presence and an outlaying player for us.

Draper's been a lot like a number of our players this season, in little bursts and the odd game outstanding but dragged down into mediocrity too often.

I honestly prefer Draper slightly further forward, ball at his feet rumbling towards defences like a bulldozer. He's not fantastic technical, but he's got the power and size to shrug off opposition players like flies. He used to bully us in the middle in the Highland derby and I want to see him to do consistently for us.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(01-06-2019, 03:21 PM)Despot Wrote: Draper's been a lot like a number of our players this season, in little bursts and the odd game outstanding but dragged down into mediocrity too often.

I honestly prefer Draper slightly further forward, ball at his feet rumbling towards defences like a bulldozer. He's not fantastic technical, but he's got the power and size to shrug off opposition players like flies. He used to bully us in the middle in the Highland derby and I want to see him to do consistently for us.

Honestly think Draper has been one of our consistent good performers - he has been moved back and forward a fair it this season but for me still played well.

(01-06-2019, 01:58 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Right, I’ve been reluctant to comment on here as I wanted to see how the results went today. For the record I watched on alba and yes we were poor and arguably our worst performance this season. But I can put this down to Morton’s willingness to play for a 0-0 and get lucky, our injury list and team selections. Fraser has been very poor recently and we lacked an overlapping full back. Grivo played decently but he’s not a natural left back and although he did go for some decent overlapping runs, it didn’t seem natural. Ross Stewart is not a winger... can’t fault the boys effort though. In regard to some of the comments left by others (everyone’s entitled to theirs but here’s mine) ketts and Fergie have got us to the top of the league, made decent signings with a reduced budget and had us play some nice football at times, albeit sometimes slow and not tiki taka Barca style but this is the Scottish championship, we aren’t gonna have eye candy football every game. I think the pair have done well first half of the season. A director of football doesn’t help clubs like county because 1 we aren’t paying big transfer fees on uk or foreign players. Managers are basically biting a bullet for another mans signings, yes they have final say but it’s heavily sided. And lastly it’s an extra high earner on the wage bill.

The reason county pass it along the back side to side is to suck players in make space, channels and gaps so we can move up the pitch without losing possession by taking defenders on 1 on 1 and opposition hitting us on the counter which is the majority of teams plans against us. Draper has been getting stick and he wasn’t great last night but the rest of the season he’s been fantastic plugging gaps closing down being an Ariel presence and an outlaying player for us. He was fantastic against caley and if not for him and fox they’d of pumped us. Anyone who thinks midge played bad needs to give their head a wobble, most creative and dangerous player for us. I wonder how midge would do playing as a CAM Role behind the striker and having mullin out wide with DKD or a new signing potentially. Stelios and Vigurs are a big big miss so hope they’re back soon our play will definitely improve.

Truth is we are pish but slightly less pish than the rest of the league more consistently.

Results went our way thankfully, still top of the league, on to the next one

Well Said !
Yes we are pish but, from the results yesterday we are not any less so than the rest of the teams in the league. At the moment we are the best of a bad bunch. We don't need to have players of Real Madrid quality and win the league by a country mile, we just need to stay ahead of the rest.
The Managerial staff have got us where we need to be so far this season so why don't we get behind them and the players for a change.
Everybody has a right to their own opinion of course but, its not only pish on the field but a lot of it on this forum as well. (And before you say it, probably including my opinions as well)

Bluezulu your boys were never at the races yesterday - thought you might have given the Baroness some abuse but best leave that to Geoff Horsfield !

(01-06-2019, 02:03 AM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: He does look like a fish out of water sometimes.

Badoom tsh.

Our best midfielder this season,no wait,our only midfielder this season!

(01-06-2019, 08:51 PM)tattiedave Wrote: Our best midfielder this season,no wait,our only midfielder this season!

That's a bit harsh on Lindsay I think he's done pretty well for us. Thing's don't always come off but he keeps trying and looking for the ball which is important.

Ketts has been given a 6 match ban for the handbags at the end of this game, 3 now and 3 suspended on good behaviour till end of year.

Absolutely love Fergs opinion and statement on the matter. Got each others backs that pair!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47157226