Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Morton vs staggies
Problem is our possession game has been sussed by teams like Morton. Defenders have time to sit in, light their pipe and put their slippers on before we get anywhere near their penalty area.

(01-05-2019, 02:05 AM)It's Only A Game Wrote: Problem is our possession game has been sussed by teams like Morton. Defenders have time to sit in, light their pipe and put their slippers on before we get anywhere near their penalty area.

I am no tactician but this fits with my understanding. Even when we have a chance to counter we seem to stall, pass around the back and slow it down. I was screaming at the TV tonight for them to move it quicker. The very odd time we did we actually got a free kick or something that resembled an attack.

The rest of the game was us trying to break down 10 Morton players in their own half and them picking us off on the odd counter. They looked awful too, which makes it worse losing to them with so much possession on one hand but few clear cut chances on the other.

What a shocker but to be fair we have been poor for quite a while now. Saturday was daylight robbery and previous games have been dull in the extreme. There is just no spark, no leader on the park to inject some excitement.

The only times we looked of any threat last night was when Midge had a run at them, Cowie and Grivosti linked well on the left but otherwise not a lot on show.

Worrying that Morris came off, presumably injured. Fraser obviously out for next game so defence is going to be an issue. Unlike some others here I think Watson has done a sterling job with countless last second blocks over the season so far so thankfully he has remained fit. Fraser has struggled to regain his previous form since returning from injury but will still be missed. Grivosti getting stronger with each game so that’s a plus. I guess Draper will have to fill in again which takes grit out of a midfield that has none to spare.

Worrying times indeed, desperately need Vigurs back to his best or some new blood as it’s doubtful if we will make it back up otherwise. Last night has been coming for a while.

A decent number of us there last night considering it was a Friday night and on the box.

Kettlewell & Ferguson are decent coaches, however the jury is still out on their management.

We are very one dimensional, and sides like Morton are more than happy to sit back, and deal with balls into the box against two strikers who aren't particularly great in the air. The signing of Cowie was an odd one at the time, and I am yet to see what he really adds to our play. He slows play down massively, his crossing last night at times was woeful.

The lack of pace last night was obvious, instead passing back and forth hoping an opening would suddenly appear, but when you play a side who have ten against the ball, it isn't going to happen.

I'd hope that Kettlewell & Ferguson have identified the glaring issues that the team have, and players will be coming in over the next few days. I just hope it isn't the usual tat banded around at this time of year, I said it months ago, but the pair of them could really use a decent DOF, to help acquiring targets. You just need to have a quick look at the agent list of our players to see a common theme at the moment.

Time to remain calm. A long way to go in this league and at the moment we are top of the league, couldn’t be in any better position.

Yeh but the window is open and to go back up a change or sumething is required.
I honestly think we have the personnel at the club, maybe a few more with the injuries now but as has been said a bit of urgency and we take teams and score. Sit bac and 20 passes to the af way line and then hoof it up to small forwards and the oposing team pik it up easily.

We need urgency of play. It starts from the bac and until the last 3 minutes (when the game waz lost) fox immeditely got rid and the attack started. Fot the previous 87 it was the usual, wait, look, see a player in space take two taps and then pass to a defender, which not only wastes times but the team regroups

Tactics cof

(01-05-2019, 10:12 AM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: A decent number of us there last night considering it was a Friday night and on the box.

Kettlewell & Ferguson are decent coaches, however the jury is still out on their management.

We are very one dimensional, and sides like Morton are more than happy to sit back, and deal with balls into the box against two strikers who aren't particularly great in the air. The signing of Cowie was an odd one at the time, and I am yet to see what he really adds to our play. He slows play down massively, his crossing last night at times was woeful.

The lack of pace last night was obvious, instead passing back and forth hoping an opening would suddenly appear, but when you play a side who have ten against the ball, it isn't going to happen.

I'd hope that Kettlewell & Ferguson have identified the glaring issues that the team have, and players will be coming in over the next few days. I just hope it isn't the usual tat banded around at this time of year, I said it months ago, but the pair of them could really use a decent DOF, to help acquiring targets. You just need to have a quick look at the agent list of our players to see a common theme at the moment.
all teams sit back and wait for us to come at them the reason for that is they know we will not shoot for gaol unless we are inside the penalty area so simply sit back and smother the slow sideways and backward crap that we are playing and have being playing all season unless this changes we will be going nowhere and just for the happy clappers yes we are top and even given the games in hand held by others will remain second for now but things have to change if we are to remain there

Watched game on TV last night
True the team did not play well but have a think about this before you throw criticism at team
Fraser, Mullin, Gardyne and Morris just back from injury
Vigars, Graham, Kelly,Fontaine and Stellios out
Stewart, Gristovi, inexperienced although I am impressed with way they play even though they are played out of position
That leaves Fox, McKay, Cowie, Draper, Watson and Lyndsay playing regularly
Yes we need to buy defender and another striker
Also get off managers back this is their first season and we are still up top of league
Start getting behind team and get more vocal at matches (POSITIVELY)

(01-05-2019, 01:17 PM)County Lad Wrote: Watched game on TV last night
True the team did not play well but have a think about this before you throw criticism at team
Stewart, Gristovi, inexperienced although I am impressed with way they play even though they are played out of position
Also get off managers back this is their first season and we are still up top of league

Totally agree

Right you are.

(01-05-2019, 02:53 PM)DORTAIN Wrote: Totally agree

Only good thing this weekend was Ayr getting beat

(01-05-2019, 05:54 PM)falkirkstaggie Wrote: Only good thing this weekend was Ayr getting beat

Plus Dundee United dropping 2 points at home.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

(01-05-2019, 05:57 PM)murray aberdeen stagg Wrote: Plus Dundee United dropping 2 points at home.

And Inverness getting gubbed by the Doonhammers

That was amongst the worst performances of the season. Totally devoid of any penetration or attacking threat. Morton were set up to be hard to beat, and it worked.

Didn’t think Collum was too bad tbh.

(01-05-2019, 06:00 PM)Dalneigh Gypo Wrote: And Inverness getting gubbed by the Doonhammers

O yes Dalneigh. Booked a weekend stay in Inverness for the 25/26th January so will make the Alloa game. Be in touch with you nearer the time pal.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

We got out of jail(end) there with today's results, see what I did there.
Yes, we are top of the league and we have the management team we all wanted in place but the performances haven't been good enough and we've gotten away with it for a while now, it's only a matter of time before the results match our performances.
What's going on? Is our management team being too loyal to some players? I asked before if our dip in form coincided with Marcus Fraser coming back into the team and some seemed to agree, in the absence of vigurs, just what are Lindsay, cowie bringing to the team and Mackay just isn't as prolific as we all expected him to be yet he's probably one of the first names on the team sheet, should we persist or look elsewhere. Ross stewart is NOT a winger,
Ferguson took absolutely nothing to do with or offer anything in support of Kettlewells dismissal last night, makes me wonder if all is ok between them, which one of them has the final say on team selection, tactics, there's bound to be some sort of disagreement over that.

Good post much of which you are spot on. However, the game last night was not about a makeshift team put together to hold Morton. The players out there had the game well under control, it was the team tactics that looked to be lacking.

It is just frustrating to watch all the possession but going no where. Even on a counter when numbers in our favour (and not going against Morton's 10 men behind the ball which was the norm last night) we seem to p!ss around slowing ourselves down and giving them time to reorganise and any advantage is gone. It just seems a very strange approach at times and is obviously costing us?

Well results could not have been better really Today. Only Dundee Utd gaining one point on us. It will be an interesting month. Very inconsistent league this year it seems, thankfully!

After the last two performances, an experienced midfielder to push Draper for a starting spot, one to give Lindsay a fright and a versatile back four defender with experience are the signings required or we could be looking at missing out on a top four finish. All our rivals are going to strengthen their squads in the next few weeks so we have to do likewise.

(01-05-2019, 06:23 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Ferguson took absolutely nothing to do with or offer anything in support of Kettlewells dismissal last night, makes me wonder if all is ok between them, which one of them has the final say on team selection, tactics, there's bound to be some sort of disagreement over that.

See attached.

It was a bad night at the office, tactically all over the shop.
Lets see what our squad is like at the end of January.

Attached File(s)
.jpg   20190105_194921.jpg (Size: 446.33 KB / Downloads: 37)

Used a get out of jail free card this weekend, results really went our way.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.