Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
County vs Ayr 15/12/2018
(12-15-2018, 06:40 PM)cdam Wrote: Possibly because we aren’t playing well, and should be given the squad we have. Shouldn’t be struggling to grab points, shouldn’t be patting ourselves on the back for a job well done at a 3-3 draw. Dundee would beat us if we were still in the premiership

My own view is that to go to Ayr, be 3-1 down at half time and to come away with a point deserves a ‘ pat on the back’ - a long way to go in this league- quite happy with 2nd spot at this stage. Well done guys.

Great game, decent result, lousy weather .... real football stadium! I’d happily watch every weekend. COYS

(12-15-2018, 06:40 PM)cdam Wrote: Possibly because we aren’t playing well, and should be given the squad we have. Shouldn’t be struggling to grab points, shouldn’t be patting ourselves on the back for a job well done at a 3-3 draw. Dundee would beat us if we were still in the premiership

We are 2nd in the table 1 point behind first after picking up a draw from 3-1 down away from home against our best challengers in league who have only conceded 1 goal at home in their last 8 home games. We have won 9 games and only lost 2. We have scored over twice as many goals than we’ve conceded (36 for / 14 against). We have a near 60%+ possession every game along with the 2nd best disciplinary record in the league. All this from a second string side plagued by injuries in our two gaffers rookie season after being relegated (look at the state Partick are in). with a number of promising academy prospects coming through this season as well as being in the semi final of the challenge cup... but don’t let facts get in the way of your moaning Smile

Looking from the outside, coming away with a point- after being 3-1 down against the league leaders - would ordinarily have been a great result. For those of us who were there,however, it was a travesty of justice which feels like a defeat.

How so?

Two reasons. Firstly, County absolutely battered Ayr in the second-half and deserved to win, after a fairly even first period. Secondly, because of the elephant in the room that was referee Bobby Madden. Without a doubt the worst refereeing 'performance ' I have seen in four decades of watching County. He was the Christmas gift that kept on giving for the home side. His total ineptness contributed to all three home goals.

The first half was fairly even in terms of general play.

The home side had the first chance in the fourth minute when Rose headed over following a corner from the right. Three minutes later Mullin flashed a low cross from the left across the six yard box. With no takers the ball went out of play at the back post. The same player put County ahead in the 12th. minute with a sublime, powerful, right- footed volley from 12 yards out, connecting with a Stelios cross from the left. A great piece of skill.

Two minutes later, the dangerous Shankland latched onto a through ball, cut inside and released a low, right-footed shot, which Fox did well to keep out at the near post.

In the next minute, play swung to the other end in what was proving to be an open game. Stewart has a great chance to put County 2-0 ahead on the break. With the home keeper committed, the County striker was presented with an open goal from an acute angle on the left. His low shot was screwed wide of the empty net and cleared the opposite post.

Ayr equalised in controversial circumstances on 20 minutes. A Declan McDaid angled shot from the left whizzed well wide of the opposite post for a clear County goal-kick. Referee Madden inexplicably awarded an Ayr corner - much to the bewilderment of the furious County support. Ayr scored from the play that directly followed the corner, from the penalty spot. There was little contact between Ross Draper and Michael Rose in the box from the corner kick. The Ayr player taking a spectacular diving leap at height, which was clearly ridiculous.. Both were challenging for the ball. Another baffling decision right in front of the County support. Shankland scored the penalty by powerfully slotting the ball low and hard into the bottom left-hand corner.

Four minutes later the home side scored again as a result of another refereeing clanger. Madden awarded a very dubious free kick to the home side 30 yards out on the right. He also booked Stelios. The floated ball into the box was helped into the net by Shankland at close range. The Ayr forward clearly fouled Draper in the process.

No yellow card for home player McDaid four minutes after that goal, when his studs quite clearly connected with Mullin's chest ! Again right in front of the County support.

That was followed by some neat interplay between Draper and Mullin on the edge of the penalty box, with the latter cleverly setting McKay up, through on goal 12 yards out. Home keeper Doohan showed great reflex to prevent McKay from scoring at close range by smothering the ball.

Seven minutes before half-time, Shankland broke at pace through the middle on the counter. With the County back line retreating too deeply in front of him - all the way the edge of the penalty box -he laid the ball off to Moffat, who was overlapping to his right. His powerful shot was well saved by Fox.

Ayr scored a third goal two minutes before half-time as a result of more refereeing bufoonery. Grivosti was felled in the box by a vicious Ayr shot, taking the full force of the ball brutally on his head at close-range. A sickening sight. The County defender remained on the ground. A clear head knock for which play should have been stopped. Madden both allowed play to continue and despite Fox being clearly fouled by Shamnkland,allowed Geggan to score from close range whilst Grivosti remained down. An appalling decision.

In the play that preceded the goal, Madden let a home throw in be taken fully 12 yards forward from where the ball had gone out and awarded a throw in to Ayr instead of a County free-kick for as blatant a hand ball as you will see.

When the half time whistle went, a sheepish looking Madden waited on the far side touch line before eventually making his way across the pitch and up the tunnel. Avoiding any contact with the County players and management, but not the vented collective fury of the County support.

The rightful injustice the County players and management felt about the 'performance ' of Madden in the first half would have given them all the motivation they needed for the second half. And so it turned out......

The rain became torrential and County had a slight wind advantage as they shot towards the now empty terracing behind the goal The home support there in the first half now gathering in unison behind the traditional home end.

County's sense of urgency was matched by a more direct approach which was designed to both take advantage of the overhead conditions and to test the home defence.

Four minutes after the restart County pulled a goal back when McKay calmly passed the ball low into the right side of the net, from the penalty spot. The County striker had latched onto a bouncing through ball before being impeded by Bell. The home player should have seen red for stopping a goal scoring opportunity. No surprise amongst the County support that he was only booked by Madden.

Just after scoring, the play swung to the other end. The home support behind the goals called for a penalty. The pantomime villain waved play on, in what looked like a clean tackle.

In the next minute -and in carbon copy of the move that led to County penalty incident - McKay latched onto a long ball through the middle, got goal side of his marker and released a shot from 8 yards, which was brilliantly saved by Doonhan.

County equalised shortly afterwards when Mullin showed skill to drive into the left side of the byeline, his close range shot was parried out by Doonhan into the path of Cowie who did well to blast the ball high into the net at the near post. No more than County deserved given their new found sense of urgency and belief. The

County continued to take the game to the home side who were starting to buckle and found themselves pinned back.

On 55 minutes Lindsay has a good chance to put County ahead. His shot from the right edge of the penalty box was just a bit too high.

Almost immediately the same player found himself in a better position inside the box after being set up by Cowie. His miscued effort narrowly missed the leg of the lunging Stewart at very close range.

Home manager McCall, sensing that his side were losing control of the game, brought on Higgins for McDade, a change that resulted in Ayr switching to five at the back from a back four !

County, however, continued to dominate - and to dictate play and possession - as they continued to pin their hosts back, whilst looking for that all important winner.

In the 63rd. minute, a long Mullin free-kick from the left found no takers as the ball bounced on the greasy surface in front of goal and into the keeper's arms.

Four minutes later, Marcus Fraser did well to drive into the right side of the box at pace. He looked certain to score from close range. Just as he was about to shoot, Madden stopped play. He inexplicably awarded Ayr a free kick- for reasons only known to himself !

With twenty minutes left Ayr had a rare foray into the County box on the counter. Moffat, who had just came on, flashed a dangerous low cross across the six yard box from the right. The ball went out of play at the back post, finding no takers.

Shortly afterwards, Gardyne was brought on for Cowie- in an attempt to use his pace against a tiring home defence on the heavy pitch.

With 15 minutes left Ayr came close to scoring again with what was their only real chance of the second half. Liam Smith connected with a cross from the left from four yards out. Fox did well to instinctively keep his effort out. However, it was a really bad miss.

In the next minute, Gardyne did really well to drive into the left side of the box, get to the byeline and cut the ball back across the face of the goal. Any touch would have put the ball in, but no one was in the right place at the right time.

Shortly afterwards the same player saw his chipped shot from the edge of the area go narrowly wide of the right post.

McManus was introduced for McKay, with five minutes left, as County went all out for what would have been a deserved winner. The sub. was set up by a clever Stewart knockdown just after coming on. However, his rushed shot from the edge of the box was too high.

County forced a couple of late corners as they continued to pile on the pressure.

Gardyne had a powerful goal bound shot blocked by an Ayr leg.

Two minutes into added time, that man Madden had the last say as he waved away appeals for what looked like a stonewall penalty when McManus was clearly impeded just in front of goal.

In the circumstances it felt like a County defeat, in a game that will be remembered for a staggeringly incompetent refereeing performance by Bobby Madden............

I like many others have been on here lately bemoaning our poor performances and honestly thought as others that we may get a royal humping yesterday unless things improved well today I am really happy to get a 3 3 draw away from home with the high flying Ayr is a huge improvement and the team should be given credit where credit is due well done the staggies now looking forward to our next 2 games

Great work with your report Fyrish. Will look closely at the highlights once they are available.

Definitely a show that should galvanise both the team and the fans.

I hope that we all give our team the support they need against Partick on Saturday as the last two home games have had the worst atmosphere (actually there wasn’t any) I can remember for years. 3000 + sounding like 300.

Perhaps it’s arguable that the displays could have been better, but lack of atmosphere does not help spur the team on when it needs it - the team deserves better. There was more sound from the players than from the jail end last week.

The Caley game will look after itself but let’s lift it for next week. 3 points would be huge.

(12-16-2018, 01:57 AM)Fyrish-stag Wrote: In the circumstances it felt like a County defeat, in a game that will be remembered for a staggeringly incompetent refereeing performance by John Beaton............

Thanks for the report, but was the ref John Beaton or Bobby Madden?

Thanks for the review. The excellent Ayr highlights are up.

The referee has had an absolute mare on our penalty. Clear handball by Marcus Fraser, never a foul and if it was it should have been red.

I’m not sure the Ayr one is a penalty, but the corner comes from a cross that brushes Fraser on its way out.

I also think Mullin completely sclaffs his goal!

Really entertaining game, made the horrendous journey home almost worth it (7hrs, bus back to Dingwall on midnight).

Fyrish has said all there has to be said on Bobby Madden. I've rarely seen our own players and management so seething with an official.

Fergie was sent to the stand just before HT, the assistant called Madden over to inform him of whatever Fergie did/said, and he was sent to the stand.

On HT sub Vigurs went on to the pitch to remonstrate with Madden. Didn't see it but someone said he was booked for this? If so then he must be due a ban now and would possibly miss the ICT game (14 days).

At FT, Kettlewell and Brittain again waited for Madden.

Terrific 2nd half and we should really have taken all 3pts. This looked unlikely at HT, so credit to the management for sorting it out. Ayr had one golden opportunity in the 2nd half, from a few yards out, not sure if it was a bad miss or a Fox wonder save, apart from that we dominated.
Stewart went up alongside Mckay and we basically used the wind in our favour to go route one, time and time again Mckay and Stewart got the better of the Ayr defence.
Stewart's best game for us, and Mckay was excellent. Mullin our best player on the day I would say. Ayr also couldn't handle Draper's physicality.
Grivosti and Watson were given a torrid time in that first half, but recovered well. With Fontaine out for the season, and Morris seemingly a bit injury prone, I wonder if we need further cover. Grivosti has done really well, but we don't want Draper having to be used there again.

Good to go back to a ground that we haven't been at for quite a few years, and one where the home fans switch ends at HT. About 150 staggies there I guess, credit to all given the forecast and conditions, and hope our bus driver got a good nights sleep after that journey home which was a whiteout/blizzard at times.

(12-16-2018, 11:28 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Thanks for the report, but was the ref John Beaton or Bobby Madden?

My bad. Madden. Report edited to reflect same.

Cheers Fryish- appreciate your reports for the away games I miss.

Highlights are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fge9nPVgEE

Having watched the highlights:

- It was never a corner to Ayr for their opener and though Draper did have his hands on the player, it was one of the most theatrical dives you've ever seen.
- Foul on Watson I think for the second, Shankland shoves him out of the way to get to it
- Play should have been stopped for their third, but Fox flapped at the loose ball rather than coming for it with authority
- Think the yellow for Ayr was right (me backing a Madden decision, bizarre) for the sole reason that although Mckay was clean through he didn't have the ball totally under control.
- I have no idea how the Ayr lad missed that one near the end.

Overall, stick backs up my thoughts on County this season: at our best, we're good to watch, intense, fast passing and movement and it's just so frustrating that we only seem able to sustain it for one half a game.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(12-16-2018, 01:34 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: We are 2nd in the table 1 point behind first after picking up a draw from 3-1 down away from home against our best challengers in league who have only conceded 1 goal at home in their last 8 home games. We have won 9 games and only lost 2. We have scored over twice as many goals than we’ve conceded (36 for / 14 against). We have a near 60%+ possession every game along with the 2nd best disciplinary record in the league. All this from a second string side plagued by injuries in our two gaffers rookie season after being relegated (look at the state Partick are in). with a number of promising academy prospects coming through this season as well as being in the semi final of the challenge cup... but don’t let facts get in the way of your moaning Smile

I can only make home games. We have not been good given the talent we have. My comments are on the style of play and results, still, if people are happy to celebrate clawing our way back from 3-1 down to Ayr then crack on.

Photo 
(12-16-2018, 01:57 AM)Fyrish-stag Wrote: ... Without a doubt the worst refereeing 'performance ' I have seen in four decades of watching County. He was the Christmas gift that kept on giving for the home side. ... a staggeringly incompetent refereeing performance by Bobby Madden............

Thanks for a really comprehensive report Fyrish. Great to get a bit more perspective than is available from public media.

Re-assuring that there was a decent County performance there, and so a bit more hope that we can start winning again soon.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(12-15-2018, 07:05 PM)DORTAIN Wrote: My own view is that to go to Ayr, be 3-1 down at half time and to come away with a point deserves a ‘ pat on the back’ - a long way to go in this league- quite happy with 2nd spot at this stage. Well done guys.

I M O it was a job well done by staggies

That match report by Fyrish-stag is the most one-sided it has been my displeasure to read in over 50 years of watching football. Admittedly any report by a fan is hardly going to be objective, but there are limits! I can't believe he was watching the same game as me. For example, did he mention the clear hand ball before the long ball up the park that led to the (amazingly soft) penalty. I could go on, but don't want to waste any more time on such a complete and utter travesty.

(12-17-2018, 10:17 PM)jm86 Wrote: That match report by Fyrish-stag is the most one-sided it has been my displeasure to read in over 50 years of watching football. Admittedly any report by a fan is hardly going to be objective, but there are limits! I can't believe he was watching the same game as me. For example, did he mention the clear hand ball before the long ball up the park that led to the (amazingly soft) penalty. I could go on, but don't want to waste any more time on such a complete and utter travesty.

Both penalties were on the soft side, so I'm not sure what you are complaining about.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

boooo!
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(12-17-2018, 10:17 PM)jm86 Wrote: That match report by Fyrish-stag is the most one-sided it has been my displeasure to read in over 50 years of watching football. Admittedly any report by a fan is hardly going to be objective, but there are limits! I can't believe he was watching the same game as me. For example, did he mention the clear hand ball before the long ball up the park that led to the (amazingly soft) penalty. I could go on, but don't want to waste any more time on such a complete and utter travesty.

Whatever your view on Fyrish's reporting is it is of no relevance. Fyrish gave those of us who cannot make away games his insight as to our team's performance. I do not care what angle he put on it, it is more than you managed. If you disagreed with his view of the ongoings then put your own version on line instead of slagging Fyrish off. I am sure it will be different, in fact it should be. No two of us see the same thing the same way e.g. football matches, road accidents. The old adage works here - there are three versions of a story, his, hers and the truth. I am sure most of us on this forum are of sufficient maturity to realise that Fyrish may have had his rose specs on when watching the game and we read it in that light and appreciate the time and effort to put it on the forum. Thank you Fyrish for your report. Appreciated.

Reading between the lines here, I’m picking up that you feel that a fan’s ( Fyrish-stag, in this instance) report on a match was tinged with bias.
If so , Its a first, never in over 50 years of reading fan’s reports have I ever come across truth distortion against either a referee or an opposing team in a fan’s report.

Presumably your own fans forum down in Ayr handles only the ‘Honest’ reports ?

Meantime keep up the good work Fyrish

I think I did point out that a fan’s report is never going to be objective. Virtually impossible. Good on the guy for travelling to these far flung out.posts and at least giving stay at home fans a flavour of proceedings. I didn’t really want to produce an in detail report of my own, too much on at the moment, but just a few points.

Both penalties of the soft variety. County’s only happened due to Madden missing a clear as day handball before the ball was launched upfield for McKay to run on to.

Foul on Geggan leading to 2nd Ayr goal was again of soft variety and not a booking for Demetriou. No foul on initial contact possibly trailing leg caught Geggan. When ball comes in, Watson on wrong side of Shankland . Got to be stronger in his challenge. Shankland simply fending off rather than shoving. Happens hundreds of times in a game.

If an Ayr defender had gone down after heading the ball and the ball was still live in a very dangerous situation , would you have been pleased for the ref to stop play to check if the guy was concussed or just staying down to try and get play stopped. No footballer would ever be so cynical as to try that one would they? I can just imagine the reaction of the county bench if that had happened.