Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County vs Queen of the South
I’m not one for criticising the management, largely because I have very limited football knowledge, however I feel that tactically there were mistakes today.

Stewart is not a midfielder, either on the right or left (they tried both). Why you play a young player like that desperately out of position is beyond me. It was crying out for a change at half time, not 15 minutes to go. Midge was the wrong man to come on too, thats the sort of sub you make at 3-0 and cruising...not when looking for a winner.

Other than the goal, we looked solid, but are desperately lacking some flair and panache.

(12-08-2018, 08:33 PM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Their goal looked very avoidable, gifted possession.
SK was raging and gesturing in frustration.

A forgettable game but one that seems familiar, and we will see it again. We struggle to break down teams despite dominating possession.

Positives:
Grivosti looks a prospect. For only his 2nd start looked composed and certainly not out of depth.
Good to see Midge back, we need him and Vigurs back on top form asap.
Haggis Pie.

Big game next week.
got to agree with all and after watching the performances in the last three games where to say we are slow would be an understatement we just don't seem able to pick an early forward pass sideways and backward we are brilliant if we play this way next week I expect we will get done over worse than D D U

That was uninspiring to say the least. More of a point gained as two points dropped. Keith Watson saved us on a couple occasions with some brilliant last ditch tackles. If we don't get things sorted out Ayr will kill us next week. Really need Callum Morris back or I fear Shankland will run riot.
Only one winner yesterday and they weren't even playing!

(12-09-2018, 11:14 AM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: That was uninspiring to say the least. More of a point gained as two points dropped. Keith Watson saved us on a couple occasions with some brilliant last ditch tackles. If we don't get things sorted out Ayr will kill us next week. Really need Callum Morris back or I fear Shankland will run riot.
Only one winner yesterday and they weren't even playing!

The problem isn't the defence who generally did okay- our midfield once again is proving a serious issue with Draper, Lindsay and Cowie all miles out of position and nowhere near their runners for the goal.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(12-08-2018, 11:06 PM)county AML Wrote: got to agree with all and after watching the performances in the last three games where to say we are slow would be an understatement we just don't seem able to pick an early forward pass sideways and backward we are brilliant if we play this way next week I expect we will get done over worse than D D U
Yes, without Vigurs or Gardyne, we have almost no creativity from midfield. When Midge came on for the last 15 minutes, he was always looking to get the team forward and although his fitness might have been an issue, I thought he should have been on at half-time. A few of the players were guilty of poor control, often giving the ball away cheaply. Felt sorry for MacKay, who was having to come pretty deep and wide, just to get hold of the ball. Given our recent creativity issues, it puzzles me all the more why Dykes can't get anywhere near the squad and why Paton's playing for Stenhousemuir..

We seem to all be a bunch of moaners but have to agree with everyone else re yesterday's game. What position was the young boy Stewart supposed to be playing? He seemed to have as much idea as we did. He looks like he's got potential as a striker - he looks good in the air - but he's not a midfield player. We seem to prize possession more than actually trying to score goals. I said my piece on Don at the beginning of the thread, but I really feel he slows us down in midfield. I seem to remember he had an eye for goal when he first played for us, but that seems to have disappeared. We're at home, one win from the top of the league and we set up with one isolated forward. At the beginning of the season we all thought teams would come and get 10 men defending behind the ball. It's turned out they don't need to as we don't seem to want to attack, and so they, coming forward, actually look more likely to score than we do. Yesterday was a case in point. They could easily have won that game in the last 20 minutes.

I'm not one for supporting "humping it forward" but possession football a la Barcelona is great if you've got people in the final third like Messi, but possession without end product is literally "pointless". We really urgently need Iain Vigurs and Midge back regularly playing in midfield.

(12-08-2018, 07:41 PM)NVACA Wrote: We weren't that great but it'd be nice to go 5 mins without vilifying our own players.

You must be new.

(12-08-2018, 08:54 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Stewart is not a midfielder, either on the right or left (they tried both). Why you play a young player like that desperately out of position is beyond me.

Second half in particular, there was quite a lot of Fraser pinging the ball cross field high up to Stewart on the left, whose job was not it down inside to Mckay or one of the midfielders.

(12-09-2018, 03:57 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: You must be new.

Not new, just singing an old tune!

Even QOTS fans were saying they struggle with crosses and the ball diagonally across for Stewart to compete against his full back was something he generally won- but we stopped using it, despite it being something that was causing issues for their defence.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Frustrating. I'm sure Fergiewell will be working hard this week on speeding things up, moving the ball more quickly and creating a bit more. We could also do with converting more of the chances, as we tend to manage more chances than the opposition teams.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(12-09-2018, 03:57 PM)Five Minutes from the Ground Wrote: Second half in particular, there was quite a lot of Fraser pinging the ball cross field high up to Stewart on the left, whose job was not it down inside to Mckay or one of the midfielders.

Well if that was the tactic, it sucked!