Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
County vs Morton 27/10/2018
An easy 3 points. We looked good all over the pitch. The Kelly doubters have been silent and the managers' and supporters' faith in Billy McKay has really paid off.

As Venison said above it's a lot more fun watching the team playing well, scoring goals, winning and entertaining us than what we've seen over the last few seasons.

Mind you, still hope we get promoted back to the top flight, and so far so good !

We have a good squad with plenty of options for the managers and in the second half of the season with injuries, suspensions and tiredness, that's what'll hopefully get us over the finishing line.

(10-27-2018, 08:08 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Very comfortable today, even though i thought we turned off for 20 mins after the first goal.

We were very good when we tried, need to get DKD on the ball more, young Gallagher looked very good, was unlucky with a long shot near the end.

Have to say I really don’t agree re DKD think he was weak today (though took his goal well) Mullin much more impressive for me along with Cowie. We were pretty solid overall if unspectacular other than that ability to step it up when Morton were weak and pounce. Certainly enjoyed the goals and am feeling really positive as we are clearly making impressive progress and more to come I hope.

tattiedave Wrote:
Is this the start of Billy Mckays 20 goal season Jamie?I

Definitely. He's on 6 for the season, so only another 14 to go. Maybe he'll be at 20 before Christmas! ;-)

Borrowed this from another thread. How many is Billy on now? 14?
I think I may have underestimated him.........30 anyone?
Confidence is key.

(10-28-2018, 03:12 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: tattiedave Wrote:
Is this the start of Billy Mckays 20 goal season Jamie?I

Definitely. He's on 6 for the season, so only another 14 to go. Maybe he'll be at 20 before Christmas! ;-)

Borrowed this from another thread. How many is Billy on now? 14?
I think I may have underestimated him.........30 anyone?
Confidence is key.

From what I can tell, he's got eleven this season. Eight in the league, three in the cups.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

For such a comfortable win and great performance that yesterday was, the atmosphere and performance of the support was terrible.

Can we please have the singing section, drum and pipes back please. Vicky park has never been so quiet.

(10-28-2018, 10:04 AM)frankthetank Wrote: For such a comfortable win and great performance that yesterday was, the atmosphere and performance of the support was terrible.

Can we please have the singing section, drum and pipes back please. Vicky park has never been so quiet.

I usually try to make a wee bit of noise in the Jailend but that wind in my face was brutal, kept me glued to my cups of bovril for ninety minutes.

What a pleasure to watch really good football again. Last two games have been outstanding. Midfield distribution and work rate fantastic, despite injuries been sound defensively and finally getting the breaks up front. Team are obviously knitting together well on the park and in the dressing room, great to see.
Management obviously have a huge input in all of the above - huge thanks to all for giving us a hunger to watch each game.

All this said Falkirk will be a hard task on Tuesday, bus parking likely to be a challenge as they strive for points in whatever way they can. Patience will doubtless be the key. I do feel though that we should just about have enough to wear them down.

Can’t wait for next Saturday when we visit another team lower down the division. A positive result there would really set us up for DDutd which may prove our biggest challenge.

(10-27-2018, 07:40 PM)Les Westander Wrote: Hopefully that goal will give DKD a boost. Think he could then be a bit more ambitious in final third, taking on the last man and getting in on goal. Going to be the new Midge for us.

Agree with this, he needs to try and beat the last man, and he does tend to drift inwards aimlessly when he's unsure of where to go. Excellent when reacting and playing quickly with no time to think about things, I'm sure our managers will be coaching him in that regard though.

(10-28-2018, 10:04 AM)frankthetank Wrote: For such a comfortable win and great performance that yesterday was, the atmosphere and performance of the support was terrible.

Agree with this too, but lifting my head from the scarf was never happening with that wind yesterday! Baltic. I do miss the jailend atmosphere though, and converting some of it back to standing wouldn't fix it overnight but it'd be nice to have anyway.

Overall I thought the team yesterday were pretty much superb, Stelios was demanding and constantly getting into good positions which really antagonised the Morton support (at least until the second goal). Kelly seems to be finding some real confidence, and with DKD in front of him they were making some smart moves. Mullin is just fantastic, could see some premiership club trying to snatch him at some point.

(10-27-2018, 11:12 PM)roth08 Wrote: Have to say I really don’t agree re DKD think he was weak today (though took his goal well) ......

Ok, but watch the first goal again, and admire not only his pass to Billy but right at the start of the move, how he made space for Vigurs from the throw in.

Of course Vigurs also had a big part to play, and his reverse pass to DKD was magic, but DKD had to be there and found the space whilst Morton were all looking to close down the expected pass to Kelly.

I don't think that could have been a practice ground move, and it shows that the players have a good understanding of each other.

And as you say, DKD did take his goal well. I love his patience to get space for the shot.

Back in the day I was happy to go to Victoria Park on a freezing February mid week evening just to see a couple of moments of magic from Karim. I'm getting the same feeling again with Vigurs and DKD in this team.

(10-28-2018, 03:40 PM)Wicky Wrote: ... just to see a couple of moments of magic from Karim.

Karim Boukra - there's a name to bring a smile to your face!

Totally agree with your various well-considered points, Wicky. This is a quality team and coaching staff, evidently coming together with a good understanding.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Boukra what a classy player he was. Absolutely enjoying watching this County this season. Playing some great stuff and scoring plenty goals,delighted for Billy I thought he would get goals. My small gripe is as it's been mentioned before is the lack of atmosphere at Victoria Park these days. Like some others the days when County were winning everything towards the end of the Highland League era and also going through the Divisions of the Scottish Leagues, the County support was vociferous and got behind the team but seemed to have lost that in recent times particulary when we are flying this season. Onwards and upwards and hope we get right behind the team at the dump on Saturday. COYS

(10-28-2018, 11:29 AM)NVACA Wrote: Agree with this, he needs to try and beat the last man, and he does tend to drift inwards aimlessly when he's unsure of where to go. Excellent when reacting and playing quickly with no time to think about things, I'm sure our managers will be coaching him in that regard though.

Agree with this too, but lifting my head from the scarf was never happening with that wind yesterday! Baltic. I do miss the jailend atmosphere though, and converting some of it back to standing wouldn't fix it overnight but it'd be nice to have anyway.

Overall I thought the team yesterday were pretty much superb, Stelios was demanding and constantly getting into good positions which really antagonised the Morton support (at least until the second goal). Kelly seems to be finding some real confidence, and with DKD in front of him they were making some smart moves. Mullin is just fantastic, could see some premiership club trying to snatch him at some point.

Agree re Stelio he was very good very crisp and direct passing mostly to feet and certainly worked really hard.

(10-28-2018, 03:40 PM)Wicky Wrote: Ok, but watch the first goal again, and admire not only his pass to Billy but right at the start of the move, how he made space for Vigurs from the throw in.

Of course Vigurs also had a big part to play, and his reverse pass to DKD was magic, but DKD had to be there and found the space whilst Morton were all looking to close down the expected pass to Kelly.

I don't think that could have been a practice ground move, and it shows that the players have a good understanding of each other.

And as you say, DKD did take his goal well. I love his patience to get space for the shot.

Back in the day I was happy to go to Victoria Park on a freezing February mid week evening just to see a couple of moments of magic from Karim. I'm getting the same feeling again with Vigurs and DKD in this team.

Ok I may be harsh he lost the ball a lot for me and often took it too far and perhaps could have passed earlier. He is young and hopefully can learn a lot from Mullin who I think is as creative but more effective. Certainly think Vigurs is quite something, he along with Cowie, Mullin and Billy really good with other solid performances we seem to have quite a squad.

Would like to add Watson looks a far better centre half than right back would be very harsh to drop him when Fontaine & Morris are fit.

From the games I have watched this season Watson & Morris look the best centre half pairing.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

Watson struggles a bit with more physical centre forwards, but is quicker than Fontaine. Depends on who we are playing against, most likely.

(10-29-2018, 10:25 AM)Despot Wrote: Watson struggles a bit with more physical centre forwards, but is quicker than Fontaine. Depends on who we are playing against, most likely.

Fontain IMO is one of our best players good on the ball Nit many bad passes from him

(10-29-2018, 12:09 AM)gudgie67 Wrote: Would like to add Watson looks a far better centre half than right back would be very harsh to drop him when Fontaine & Morris are fit.

From the games I have watched this season Watson & Morris look the best centre half pairing.
Personally don't agree with this. Fontaine is a must when available. Watson looks the weak link in the defence to me, he's completely right-sided and looks totally uncomfortable on the left. There might even be an argument for playing Marcus at right centre-back, so that Stelios can continue at right-back..

(10-29-2018, 08:27 PM)Fozzie Wrote: Personally don't agree with this. Fontaine is a must when available. Watson looks the weak link in the defence to me, he's completely right-sided and looks totally uncomfortable on the left. There might even be an argument for playing Marcus at right centre-back, so that Stelios can continue at right-back..

Can’t agree with that, all the tones I’ve seen Watson I don’t think he’s had 1 bad game

Watson has done okay, with his best game for me being away to Dunfermline. Hard to judge him against Morton, they offered very little as a forward threat.

(10-30-2018, 01:09 AM)Ullapool Staggie Wrote: Can’t agree with that, all the tones I’ve seen Watson I don’t think he’s had 1 bad game
Ayr United, for example?

(10-30-2018, 04:50 PM)Fozzie Wrote: Ayr United, for example?

Our goals against tally tells me all our defenders have been playing well.