Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home to Dundee Utd 17/7/18
(07-18-2018, 12:43 AM)Fozzie Wrote: We all see the game differently but I don't remotely agree with this. Thought we did pretty well, with several good performances. Passing and movement was good and importantly, we played as a team. (Talking of basics, pleased to see Mullin on the post at corners..). Particularly impressed by Gardyne, Lindsay and McManus, whose movement was brilliant but he needs to learn to pass to others who have an open goal. Our defenders look strong, mobile and fairly assured. We've still got Vigurs to come in when he's fit, and Dykes & Paton are both excellent options in midfield. However, we could certainly do with another striker..

Have to agree with you I felt we played really well and had stepped up even from Saturday. Thought we created a fair bit and seemed mostly in control over the game until the penalty which I thought was a poor decision (though was a distance away). McManus looked good and strong and for me pleased he had the confidence to go for goal - I always felt Curran lacked that a little. Defence seemed very strong even with the loss of Fontaine and Dow and Keillor Dunn did well particularly Dow with such little time. Really felt we looked strong and confident and fit towards the end when we were still knocking it about confidently as the seemed to tire

Kelly seems a little reluctant to get to the by-line
On one occasion Midge played him in with a defence splitting pass where he whipped over a low ball only for the United defender to clear

Willie Collum has now returned to his day job in the Moscow State Circus!

(07-18-2018, 01:45 PM)Les Westander Wrote: I reckon Mullin is right-footed and was playing wide right. Also reckon Gardyne was wide left but they swapped about and both happy to provide good movement, with Gardyne particularly mobile.

McKay was playing a bit deeper, which may not have got the best of him. Dow could indeed have scored had McManus squared but (being kind) McManus may not have seen him as he runs with his head down. Both did okay at winning and holding the ball.

Despite not too much excitement for much of that game, needing to penetrate the opposition defence a bit better, I thought the team did well. Two consecutive wins and two clean sheets not to be sniffed at.

I wondered if they switched to save Gardyne's legs. Swtiched early on, and he was very mobile, playing quite central at times.

(07-18-2018, 11:19 AM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Defensively we are very solid, can't see us conceding many this season.

However we are in desperate need of a striker, McManus does a power of running but his finishing is rotten. McKay seemed to struggle with the pace last night, someone had previously said that they reckon he will get 20 goals this season. I would happily take that bet.

I said it and I still think he will :-)

(07-18-2018, 02:05 PM)roth08 Wrote: Have to agree with you I felt we played really well and had stepped up even from Saturday. Thought we created a fair bit and seemed mostly in control over the game until the penalty which I thought was a poor decision (though was a distance away). McManus looked good and strong and for me pleased he had the confidence to go for goal - I always felt Curran lacked that a little. Defence seemed very strong even with the loss of Fontaine and Dow and Keillor Dunn did well particularly Dow with such little time. Really felt we looked strong and confident and fit towards the end when we were still knocking it about confidently as the seemed to tire

Dundee United looked like they were playing for a draw got lucky with a penalty luckily Fox was in form ,
They were testing our forward drive ,now they know
Lot of work still,in progress but we will,get there ,first half was dire

(07-18-2018, 12:05 PM)It's Only A Game Wrote: Especially for FranktheTank who presumably is still enjoying his holiday somewhere, here is another positive message.

We thoroughly deserved to win last night and though the game wasn't particularly exciting till the last ten minutes when they somehow were awarded a penalty which finally brought the smallish crown to life at the injustice of it and then Foxy's saves followed shortly after by our excellent goal manufactured by a great effort and cross by Dow and headed home by Lindsay who after 80 odd minutes of running around somehow managed to get himself into the box to get his head on it.

Fox: Didn't have much to do but still showed us he's a great stop shopper.

We played a sort of 4-4-2 with new boy Watson & Fontaine ( replaced after injury by Morris, who started on Saturday) central defenders.
All three look really solid and will be fighting it out for their place. ( Davies and Soutar will not be greatly missed )

Marcus right and Sean Kelly left. Marcus enjoying himself on the right finally a la Naismith and Kelly also pushing forward and a natural left footer

Midfield: Looking good. Passing the ball and moving well.

Draper. I wasn't sure for long periods last season but now seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet and seems to have stopped giving the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas
Lindsay. Works hard and now probably feeling good being part of the club and not a loanee. Good move signing him I think.
Mullin. Jury's still out on him. His competition is Keillor-Dunn and Dingwall. Though all three will probably stand down when VIgurs is fit. He'll be a big asset to the team you feel with his left foot and dead ball speciality.
Midge: Given a more roving position in midfield. Too classy for lots of defenders so takes a lot of fouls. He really looks up for it this season. Could be a key man, particularly when he finally finds his old shooting boots.

Strikers: Here's where we can improve.
McKay . It just doesn't seem to be working for him. Can't say he's missing chances as he doesn't get any. He's a penalty box player taking half chances but we don't seem to be the kind of team that suits his style
McManus: Similar to ( I think better than ) Curran. Hard working, hard to shake off the ball but had a few chances which he didn't take and as someone above said we should have had a second goal when he was determined to try and score with Dow standing all alone waiting to tap the ball home. I know strikers are supposed to be a bit greedy but that was ridiculous.
Dow: He seems to be in the picture as a forward this year. To be fair he looked sharp when he came on as a sub and created the goal for us.
Mr X: Hope there's a 6 foot proven striker out there waiting for a call

IMHO the team we have looks more than capable of doing well in the Championship.

Thank you for a great report, it is really appreciated, thanks again It's Only a Game.

(07-18-2018, 09:11 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Dundee United looked like they were playing for a draw got lucky with a penalty luckily Fox was in form ,
They were testing our forward drive ,now they know
Lot of work still,in progress but we will,get there ,first half was dire

Whether United appeared to be playing for a draw or not, playing for a draw would makes no sense. They needed to beat County to have a chance of getting out of the group stage.

I'd say they just weren't as good as County - despite somehow winning a penalty. It's very early to say but, unfortunately for them, I fear they'll not make it out of this league for another season.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

United looked poor alright, score flattered them.

Win is a win. Doesnt have to be pretty

(07-19-2018, 09:58 AM)falkirkstaggie Wrote: Win is a win. Doesnt have to be pretty
You are 100% spot on

Looking at result yesterday,maybe we shouldn't look too much into us beating Dundee Utd as a gauge for the championship!

(07-22-2018, 08:12 PM)tattiedave Wrote: Looking at result yesterday,maybe we shouldn't look too much into us beating Dundee Utd as a gauge for the championship!

That is my thought too Tattie , they are still,bringing in players Thomson sold his shares new people now , mmmmm naw we definitely should not look to much into us beating them as a gauge
Watched a few training sessions so far we look as usual, too small,

(07-23-2018, 01:08 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: That is my thought too Tattie , they are still,bringing in players Thomson sold his shares new people now , mmmmm naw we definitely should not look to much into us beating them as a gauge
Watched a few training sessions so far we look as usual, too small,

We tried going huge last season and look where it got us.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(07-23-2018, 08:14 PM)Despot Wrote: We tried going huge last season and look where it got us.

I wouldn’t call Curran Mackay schalke Gardyhe huge

(07-23-2018, 08:44 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: I wouldn’t call Curran Mackay schalke Gardyhe huge

Think he means Ngog

(07-25-2018, 06:31 AM)mike_lowrie Wrote: Think he means Ngog

Also, how often did all four of those players start together?

County are going to have at least five or six 6ft plus players in their starting lineup most weeks.

But again, height and "getting rid of the ball quickly" are only really an issue if you think good defending is smashing a seventy yard punt up to nobody in particular.

The invincible side was no taller than this current squad. More talented, definitely. Taller, no.

I'd actually like a taller striker who could do a Brian Graham and change the game a little in that way, but I don't think height is what this team is lacking. Quality at centre back, pace, and an Alex Schalk type tricky player seem to be bigger misses.

(07-25-2018, 02:44 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: But again, height and "getting rid of the ball quickly" are only really an issue if you think good defending is smashing a seventy yard punt up to nobody in particular.

Sometimes it's all that's needed. I mind watching a Real Madrid game once when they were fannying about in defence putting themselves under pressure. Eventually the ball fell to Zidane and he punted it upfield out of the park.

It took a genius to do the obvious.

(07-25-2018, 02:44 PM)Savage Henry Wrote: Also, how often did all four of those players start together?

County are going to have at least five or six 6ft plus players in their starting lineup most weeks.

But again, height and "getting rid of the ball quickly" are only really an issue if you think good defending is smashing a seventy yard punt up to nobody in particular.

The invincible side was no taller than this current squad. More talented, definitely. Taller, no.

I'd actually like a taller striker who could do a Brian Graham and change the game a little in that way, but I don't think height is what this team is lacking. Quality at centre back, pace, and an Alex Schalk type tricky player seem to be bigger misses.

Just an opinion you say you don’t think height is what the team is lacking , in my opinion that is the major problem too small last year proved that ,pumping high balls to two wee guys not good Football Ye we need a big striker and big centre back wecwill miss Fontain arm injury Hood it all works out in the end
Pumped by Arbroath after leading

(07-23-2018, 08:44 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: I wouldn’t call Curran Mackay schalke Gardyhe huge

Ngog, Draper, Offiong, Davies, Naismith, Kelly, Fraser, McCarey, Fontaine, Linsday, Souttar- all over six foot, some considerably over it.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(07-26-2018, 07:56 PM)Despot Wrote: Ngog, Draper, Offiong, Davies, Naismith, Kelly, Fraser, McCarey, Fontaine, Linsday, Souttar- all over six foot, some considerably over it.

Plenty height in the team but - particularly under Coyle and McIntyre and still a bit under Fergiewell - we did see balls going over the midfield for shorter forwards to battle with big defenders.

Having said that, if a long ball is accurate enough, Schalk showed you can score from them, and Dow did brilliantly to win the ball for the assist that won it for us v United.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets