Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home to Dundee Utd 17/7/18
Following our win today I see no reason why we can’t win against United

They failed to beat Arbroath today, also losing out on the penalty shoot out.

No Premiership team in our group.

We couldn't have asked for more favourable circumstances to win a League Cup group. Hopefully we capitalise.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Finally I am home when a game is on.

Looking forward to it, it has been waaaay too long.

According to Ladbrokes coupons we are playing Dundee tonight

Any team lines?

Line ups attached.,

Great result. Feels so good to actually be winning games again.

Attached File(s)
.jpg   line us.JPG (Size: 81.68 KB / Downloads: 10)
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

Anyone know how many 2nd place teams go through? 8 group winners plus the 4 euro representatives, it would make sense for only the 4 best placed 2nd place teams points wise to go through but don't think that is the case, seem to remember some teams getting byes last year.

Nice to win this one and top of the league with 6 points and no goals conceded. Mon the Staggies.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

(07-17-2018, 09:47 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Anyone know how many 2nd place teams go through? 8 group winners plus the 4 euro representatives, it would make sense for only the 4 best placed 2nd place teams points wise to go through but don't think that is the case, seem to remember some teams getting byes last year.

I want to say six, for some reason.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

The real test is yet to come against our bogey team Alloa, win that one, then I just know it's going to be a good season.

(07-17-2018, 09:47 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Anyone know how many 2nd place teams go through? 8 group winners plus the 4 euro representatives, it would make sense for only the 4 best placed 2nd place teams points wise to go through but don't think that is the case, seem to remember some teams getting byes last year.

4 2nd place teams go through with the 8 group winners to join Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Rangers in the next round
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(07-17-2018, 09:58 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: The real test is yet to come against our bogey team Alloa, win that one, then I just know it's going to be a good season.

missed the game on Saturday but heard we played well so was really looking forward to the game tonight unfortunately what I saw tonight fills me with dread for the coming season I know it is still very early to make judgements but it seems we are still unable to do the basics like marking at throw ins and are still giving the oppositions defence far to much space and time to play out from the back

(07-17-2018, 10:14 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: 4 2nd place teams go through with the 8 group winners to join Celtic, Aberdeen, Hibs and Rangers in the next round

Yes, you are right, just saw it on spfl Twitter page, makes sense, I'm sure some teams were awarded a bye through to next round last year or maybe year before though.

Great game and great entertainment.

Mr Collum is awful, truly awful.

Pen, was too far away to see properly but from the west stand did not look much, maybe even a free to us. Fox with the double save was awesome and great reaction from the fans.

Gardyne looked to be a target for them, he will be sore in the morning.

It looks like we have a dedicated, strong, hard working team this year.

McManus never gave up, pity one of his chances did not go in.

Dow and Keilor Dunn injected great energy when they came on Dow did very well to get past the back line, hold it up and get it over for Lindsay with perfect straightforward finish, you knew it was in as soon as the cross came in.

Great scenes all round. Voice is wrecked.
My only slight concern from Tonight is the number of great chances we did not take.

Well done all though, looks like we are much further ahead at this point than in previous seasons.

(07-17-2018, 10:33 PM)county AML Wrote: missed the game on Saturday but heard we played well so was really looking forward to the game tonight unfortunately what I saw tonight fills me with dread for the coming season I know it is still very early to make judgements but it seems we are still unable to do the basics like marking at throw ins and are still giving the oppositions defence far to much space and time to play out from the back
We all see the game differently but I don't remotely agree with this. Thought we did pretty well, with several good performances. Passing and movement was good and importantly, we played as a team. (Talking of basics, pleased to see Mullin on the post at corners..). Particularly impressed by Gardyne, Lindsay and McManus, whose movement was brilliant but he needs to learn to pass to others who have an open goal. Our defenders look strong, mobile and fairly assured. We've still got Vigurs to come in when he's fit, and Dykes & Paton are both excellent options in midfield. However, we could certainly do with another striker..

Defensively we are very solid, can't see us conceding many this season.

However we are in desperate need of a striker, McManus does a power of running but his finishing is rotten. McKay seemed to struggle with the pace last night, someone had previously said that they reckon he will get 20 goals this season. I would happily take that bet.

(07-18-2018, 12:43 AM)Fozzie Wrote: We all see the game differently but I don't remotely agree with this. Thought we did pretty well, with several good performances. Passing and movement was good and importantly, we played as a team. (Talking of basics, pleased to see Mullin on the post at corners..). Particularly impressed by Gardyne, Lindsay and McManus, whose movement was brilliant but he needs to learn to pass to others who have an open goal. Our defenders look strong, mobile and fairly assured. We've still got Vigurs to come in when he's fit, and Dykes & Paton are both excellent options in midfield. However, we could certainly do with another striker..

Mullin on the post headed away an otherwise pretty certain goal in the first half.

I was very impressed with Dow, who most people might not have thought was favourite against those 2 big defenders. But pace, skill, determination and then some more skill laid it on a plate for a good header from Lindsay.

Yes we could have converted more chances but I'd hope there is still some sharpening up to come from McManus, McKay and others. We'll need to be good at unlocking defences like this.

The penalty- difficult to see the detail but just looked like a nothing shambles of the ball bouncing about between various, mostly County, legs on the edge of the box.

Well done Fox though! Great stuff and the final score line did not flatter County.

Especially for FranktheTank who presumably is still enjoying his holiday somewhere, here is another positive message.

We thoroughly deserved to win last night and though the game wasn't particularly exciting till the last ten minutes when they somehow were awarded a penalty which finally brought the smallish crown to life at the injustice of it and then Foxy's saves followed shortly after by our excellent goal manufactured by a great effort and cross by Dow and headed home by Lindsay who after 80 odd minutes of running around somehow managed to get himself into the box to get his head on it.

Fox: Didn't have much to do but still showed us he's a great stop shopper.

We played a sort of 4-4-2 with new boy Watson & Fontaine ( replaced after injury by Morris, who started on Saturday) central defenders.
All three look really solid and will be fighting it out for their place. ( Davies and Soutar will not be greatly missed )

Marcus right and Sean Kelly left. Marcus enjoying himself on the right finally a la Naismith and Kelly also pushing forward and a natural left footer

Midfield: Looking good. Passing the ball and moving well.

Draper. I wasn't sure for long periods last season but now seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet and seems to have stopped giving the ball to the opposition in dangerous areas
Lindsay. Works hard and now probably feeling good being part of the club and not a loanee. Good move signing him I think.
Mullin. Jury's still out on him. His competition is Keillor-Dunn and Dingwall. Though all three will probably stand down when VIgurs is fit. He'll be a big asset to the team you feel with his left foot and dead ball speciality.
Midge: Given a more roving position in midfield. Too classy for lots of defenders so takes a lot of fouls. He really looks up for it this season. Could be a key man, particularly when he finally finds his old shooting boots.

Strikers: Here's where we can improve.
McKay . It just doesn't seem to be working for him. Can't say he's missing chances as he doesn't get any. He's a penalty box player taking half chances but we don't seem to be the kind of team that suits his style
McManus: Similar to ( I think better than ) Curran. Hard working, hard to shake off the ball but had a few chances which he didn't take and as someone above said we should have had a second goal when he was determined to try and score with Dow standing all alone waiting to tap the ball home. I know strikers are supposed to be a bit greedy but that was ridiculous.
Dow: He seems to be in the picture as a forward this year. To be fair he looked sharp when he came on as a sub and created the goal for us.
Mr X: Hope there's a 6 foot proven striker out there waiting for a call

IMHO the team we have looks more than capable of doing well in the Championship.

I couldn’t make it last night but sounds promising.

Hopefully Fox can use this penalty save to put the couple of howlers he had last season behind him and push on to getting back to his best.

I reckon Mullin is right-footed and was playing wide right. Also reckon Gardyne was wide left but they swapped about and both happy to provide good movement, with Gardyne particularly mobile.

McKay was playing a bit deeper, which may not have got the best of him. Dow could indeed have scored had McManus squared but (being kind) McManus may not have seen him as he runs with his head down. Both did okay at winning and holding the ball.

Despite not too much excitement for much of that game, needing to penetrate the opposition defence a bit better, I thought the team did well. Two consecutive wins and two clean sheets not to be sniffed at.