Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Predictions for next season?
Now that we can finally put that nightmare behind us what are thoughts on next season? Perhaps time to be realistic playoffs would be good but will take time to recover from this season. I think it will be interesting to see the lineup that takes to the field for the first game next season, who do we want to stay??

Attracting players to County is difficult enough,attracting players to a County team in the championship is going to be even more difficult.
Are we going to regroup and go with developement players to steady the ship?
I hope I'm wrong, but it could be a long time before we are back at the top table.
Look at Livingstone,12 years since they got relegated from the SPL,and it is only now they are close to getting back.

I agree that attracting players to the championship might be difficult but might not end up with players only interested in the money and status.

I think the playoffs are the aim, always going to be tough against Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(05-13-2018, 02:26 PM)Despot Wrote: I think the playoffs are the aim, always going to be tough against Dundee Utd and Dunfermline.

And ICT,QOS, Falkirk,Morton,and Livvy or Partick.

(05-13-2018, 06:53 PM)tattiedave Wrote: And ICT,QOS, Falkirk,Morton,and Livvy or Partick.

Morton are an unknown for next season, basically an entirely new squad/manager and maybe new finances.

It'll be a tough competition no doubts, playoffs will be difficult but no reason not to aim high.

I’d be delighted with just being competitive. Mid table is pretty much the play offs so anything around about there.

I’ve written off the next couple of seasons and hope that we can start again, removing some of the higher wages (which will be a must), some of the guff, and allowing Kettlewell/Ferguson to start building a new squad.

The way the championship is set up you need to finish in the top 4 from 10 to get a chance at promotion. That is easily achievable for any club in the division - you need win half your games. However the playoffs are not in your favour should you make it. Playing six games after the end of the season is brutal.

I cant see any change to the management set up, I suspect Ketts and Fergie were appointed with one eye on relegation. Some backroom staff will inevitably have to go.

There will be wholesale changes in the playing staff obviously. Schalk and Naismith will be away, and I dont expect Davies to hang around (despite the fact he would boss the Championship) Ngog will be released and replaced by Mikkelson. The youngsters will be brought in, I'd expect DKD to figure every game. I would be very surprised if Gardyne went to another Prem club.

What concerns me the most is the required tightening of the belt that comes with relegation. I'd hate to see the Staggies Bar/Grill close, or the shop to be scaled back. Or any off field austerity measures to be honest. Its a great wee set up, and although the PR is occasionally shambolic it brings so much to the club and to Dingwall.

The thing I loved most about being in the Prem was the media coverage - live games and highlights will be thing of the past. And if you thought the refereeing was bad this year, wait for next season!

(05-13-2018, 06:53 PM)tattiedave Wrote: And ICT,QOS, Falkirk,Morton,and Livvy or Partick.

And don't forget our bogey team back in the day Alloa who have just been promoted.

(05-14-2018, 09:22 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: ... the playoffs are not in your favour should you make it. Playing six games after the end of the season is brutal.

I cant see any change to the management set up, I suspect Ketts and Fergie were appointed with one eye on relegation. Some backroom staff will inevitably have to go.

There will be wholesale changes in the playing staff obviously. Schalk and Naismith will be away, and I dont expect Davies to hang around (despite the fact he would boss the Championship) Ngog will be released and replaced by Mikkelson. The youngsters will be brought in, I'd expect DKD to figure every game. I would be very surprised if Gardyne went to another Prem club.

What concerns me the most is the required tightening of the belt that comes with relegation. I'd hate to see the Staggies Bar/Grill close, or the shop to be scaled back. Or any off field austerity measures to be honest. Its a great wee set up, and although the PR is occasionally shambolic it brings so much to the club and to Dingwall.

The thing I loved most about being in the Prem was the media coverage - live games and highlights will be thing of the past. And if you thought the refereeing was bad this year, wait for next season!

Yep it is a big loss/ collection of losses for the club. So much at stake that the Board might push the boat out to strive to get back up in one season. Football history is littered with such gambles not paying off.

I've heard so many people saying "at least your season ticket should be cheaper". Though I'd very much welcome having less to pay, the trouble with that is again less income to buy quality players to give the best chance of winning enough games. Tough times and tough decisions all round.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

(05-14-2018, 10:02 AM)westhillstaggie Wrote: And don't forget our bogey team back in the day Alloa who have just been promoted.

47 year old Willie Irvine is coming out of retirement.

Let's face it, no TV money / coverage will definitely have a financial impact, and the fact we will need to reduce the wage bill will mean a few players will leave - you might get some that will decide to stay and play for Kett's and Fergie.

Part of me would rather be fighting it out at the middle to top of the Championship than slugging it out for another two seasons with Hamilton, Dundee, St Mirren, Motherwell etc at the bottom end of the Premiership - the top six is a closed shop now.....so what do the bottom sides have to play for really ?

Bottom line is, the top league needs to be extended to make the league more competitive - bring on the Championship and more wins, more goals, something more to play for......re-build and come back stronger!!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

I’d rather be in the SPL
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(05-14-2018, 11:26 AM)Savage Henry Wrote: 47 year old Willie Irvine is coming out of retirement.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Don't mention that man.

(05-14-2018, 06:48 PM)gudgie67 Wrote: I’d rather be in the SPL

I would too, but only for the TV revenue and coverage, not so much for watching us get beat week in week out at home and away, our points tally over the last couple of seasons has been dire and Boyce kept us up last couple of seasons with his goals - this season, it's been much tougher with Hibs coming up and it'll only get worse for the bottom six sides as the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock will all take points off the bottom clubs leaving them all fighting for survival again.....not a great product!

Even if we do bounce back up - we'll be again slugging it out in the bottom six as will potentially St Mirren and Livi next season.

I think we can look forward to more goals, more wins and a potential championship title race....quite exciting compared to this season!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/...ounty-way/

Latest statement from Roy, found the below part the most interesting. If we don't get off to a good start, can see Ketts and Ferguson leaving.

“In Steven Ferguson and Stuart Kettlewell I think we have the right guys in charge of the team who will play attractive football but also be results-driven"

(05-15-2018, 02:39 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: http://www.rosscountyfootballclub.co.uk/...ounty-way/

Latest statement from Roy, found the below part the most interesting. If we don't get off to a good start, can see Ketts and Ferguson leaving.

“In Steven Ferguson and Stuart Kettlewell I think we have the right guys in charge of the team who will play attractive football but also be results-driven"

You are hilarious. Predictable, but hilarious.

(05-15-2018, 03:02 PM)Rosscubed Wrote: You are hilarious. Predictable, but hilarious.

Please expand?

In ten fixtures, we won once and looked pretty much as dreadful as we had done under Coyle.

They have the summer to bring in their "own" players and push for a promotion, RM's statement makes it clear where he wants the club to be.

If we start the season poorly, they won't be in their current positions for long.

(05-15-2018, 03:29 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Please expand?

In ten fixtures, we won once and looked pretty much as dreadful as we had done under Coyle.

They have the summer to bring in their "own" players and push for a promotion, RM's statement makes it clear where he wants the club to be.

If we start the season poorly, they won't be in their current positions for long.

Spot on, and anyone that says otherwise is kidding themselves on. Roy's demonstrated he isn't patient with managers, and this will be even more so the case when we're making a massive push for an immediate promotion. If things starts badly, which I'll be very surprised if they don't, then the management team will be off.

He's as good as said so himself.

3 points out of a possible 15 after the split wasn't what anyone wanted or expected with the new managers. The decision to appoint them permanent was made too soon and as I mentioned elsewhere could even have been a negative move for Ferg and Ketts too. I genuinely hope, as I'm sure all supporters do, we get off to a good start next season. If not, I predict they'll be gone by the winter break with no-one winning from the situation.