Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Home game v Cup finalists.
Defense looks really organised and the team carries a greater threat going forward.

Not really getting the negativity on here. Not surprised though, it's the usual suspects!

I didn't think we had that much of a threat going forward, but Motherwell are a considerably better side defensively than Dundee, Accies or Partick.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.

(04-22-2018, 03:06 PM)Despot Wrote: I didn't think we had that much of a threat going forward, but Motherwell are a considerably better side defensively than Dundee, Accies or Partick.

The negativity isn't just about yesterday. It's over the last few weeks, since Ferg n Ketts took over, where there's been massive improvement. That is what I'm not getting. I get some people are pessimistic but to not see this improvement and to have some optimism............

Was up for the game yesterday with Applecross staggie. While I agree we were a bit poor up front yesterday and did not test their keeper that much, we kept a clean sheet against a cup final team that put 3 goals in the Dons net. Draper had his best game for us and Mckay & Shalck tried their best. Perhaps Ngog should have come on sooner & instead of Curran. Lets stay positive guys and hope its our turn for results to go our way next weekend. Mon the staggies.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

Lindsay and Gardyne offered very little going forward. McKay and Schalk worked their socks off running out of position creating holes that our attacking midfield should be running into, Lindsay tried a few times but nothing was quite coming off, Midge just passed it sideways, seemed to me he took the easy option each time, I'd have had O'Brien on for him at HT yesterday.

Also that was a back 5 we had for 75 mins yesterday, no width from Fraser or Melbourne to push Motherwell back.

I continue to be impressed by Fontaine, another good game, is he thriving without Davies?

(04-22-2018, 02:46 PM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: My goodness that was hard viewing yesterday. I fear with other results this could be devastating day for our hopes...massive game next week.

Yeah, a last minute equaliser is always hard to take. Still, another goal for Austin so not all bad for you.

Watching Motherwell totally dominate Aberdeen in the semi-final last week
And seeing Hibs superiority over Celtic yesterday
All credit to Ross County for keeping these teams at bay in the last two games
Bring on the Accies

(04-22-2018, 05:56 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Lindsay and Gardyne offered very little going forward. McKay and Schalk worked their socks off running out of position creating holes that our attacking midfield should be running into, Lindsay tried a few times but nothing was quite coming off, Midge just passed it sideways, seemed to me he took the easy option each time, I'd have had O'Brien on for him at HT yesterday.

Also that was a back 5 we had for 75 mins yesterday, no width from Fraser or Melbourne to push Motherwell back.

I continue to be impressed by Fontaine, another good game, is he thriving without Davies?

Don’t disagree but we looked much more solid than under OC and while we didn’t offer a lot going forward I really don’t remember them having many clear chances.

I do think N’gog Should have come on sooner and before Curran he may not be prolific but he has very good touch and control and brings others into the game. Don’t think it was Schalk best game but he is our best striker in my view and had a couple of half chances an d I prefer seeing him on the pitch.

(04-22-2018, 06:41 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Yeah, a last minute equaliser is always hard to take. Still, another goal for Austin so not all bad for you.

You're not very funny are you?

(04-22-2018, 10:55 PM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: You're not very funny are you?

At least he is not as painful as you...

(04-22-2018, 09:59 PM)roth08 Wrote: Don’t disagree but we looked much more solid than under OC and while we didn’t offer a lot going forward I really don’t remember them having many clear chances.

I do think N’gog Should have come on sooner and before Curran he may not be prolific but he has very good touch and control and brings others into the game. Don’t think it was Schalk best game but he is our best striker in my view and had a couple of half chances an d I prefer seeing him on the pitch.

I thought Shalk had a few very nice wee flicks/backheels etc. His workrate is really something to behold over the full 90.
As for the rest:
Fox - couple of great saves, did all the simple stuff well. A wee bit slow to launch the counter a few times, but I'm assuming that's under management instruction to allow us to shape up for route 1?
Fraser, Souttar & Fontaine - all solid, Liam is probably the best of OC's purchases. No nonense, great in the air, very composed. Can see why Hibs fans are sorry to see him go.
Naismith - I forget how big he is. dominates strikers, and very solid in back 3, but we missed his runs with him not being out wider.
Lindsay - last few games he's shown real snap, reminds me of a lighterweight Jackson Irvine, box to box, and a few good touches. could have done a bit more going forwards?
Draper - exactly what we used to hate playing against, finally doing it for us - breaking up the play, getting stuck in.
Melbourne looked tidy, would like to see us making more of his long throws - could do with getting a few more bodies into the box.
Midge - he's lost a bit of his pace, but he's still clever and strong for a wee man. I'd agree with whoever had him down as an impact sub.
Mckay - worked hard, should have done a bit better with opportunity in first half.
Curran, looked fine when he came on, a bit more of a physical challenge for the Motherwell defence than McKay.
N'Gog - genuinely creative, and deceptively strong. Would like to see him get a game with Schalk, although it would be harsh to drop Billy.
Routis,glad to see it was "just" a cut, after his injury problems, hopefully back soon. Naismith just as good though.

Overall good battling, don't look like a team that should be heading down. Onwards to Hamilton.

Quote:Naismith - I forget how big he is. dominates strikers, and very solid in back 3, but we missed his runs with him not being out wider.

I think Naismith is a bit like Kovacevic at times, big, quick for his size but not physically aggressive enough to be a centre half. Most of his qualities are hindered at centre half where he can't use his pace down the flanks.
Quote:God bless the Stag Men and Children.