Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Safe Standing at Dingwall
Could any County fans help me out with my dissertation project on safe standing for the University of Stirling. I need as many fans as possible to fill out the survey.
Thanks for your help!
https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/XVC2BHZ

Done Mr McGhee

Yes I did it too.

Jail End should be standing. Old regulars who want to sit should be offered seats in West or East Stand.
There is zero atmosphere at the moment. I believe the singing section didn't take off because the drummer and singers were told to keep the noise down? ! Standing would encourage the critics to move. Even offer them a season ticket in East Stand at Jail End price?

Cheers guys, appreciate it!

Job done Cameron.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

Thanks very much Smile

Done.

Out of interest as we'll probably not see the results of this survey - what is the thoughts of County fans?

The club had mentioned they were thinking on it, now is probably the time to put pressure on them to see if they are planning it for next season - the summer time being too late to put plans in place

The club were looking at putting safe standing into the Jail End - but last time I spoke to the club about this it was deemed an expensive project and they were still observing how this was working at Celtic and it was being shelved for the start of this current season.

Like Alan I'd be keen to see what fans views are on this as I plan to ask the club again about whether it's being looked at for next season....?

I personally think it would be a good idea to see safe standing back in the Jail End as a lot of fans stand in that area anyway - would be good if the roof in that stand could also be raised as I feel it has an impact on the view from the stand!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Personally I don't think safe standing can compare to old fashioned congregating wherever you like on terracing so don't feel the need to push for it.
I find the notion that County fans will collectively break into chorus all of a sudden if a hundred or so of us are standing quite bewildering. I don't think it will alter the atmosphere in the slightest when there'd be allocated spots.

It would be great just to have the option of seats or standing though.

(02-09-2018, 03:04 PM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: I find the notion that County fans will collectively break into chorus all of a sudden if a hundred or so of us are standing quite bewildering. I don't think it will alter the atmosphere in the slightest when there'd be allocated spots.

Quite agree, it is one of the biggest myths that we created an atmosphere with terracing. Can remember games towards the end of our promotion season where people were just as quiet as they are now. I can look back and pin point four or possibly five games where the atmosphere was something to write home about in say a 10-15 year period.

Roy did seem keen on it at one stage, but then came out with a statement a few months after saying it was too expensive. At the time it was a bit odd as for someone who seemed so keen on it, you'd have thought that he would have looked into the costs.

(02-09-2018, 03:04 PM)FilthyStaggie Wrote: Personally I don't think safe standing can compare to old fashioned congregating wherever you like on terracing so don't feel the need to push for it.
I find the notion that County fans will collectively break into chorus all of a sudden if a hundred or so of us are standing quite bewildering. I don't think it will alter the atmosphere in the slightest when there'd be allocated spots.

It would be great just to have the option of seats or standing though.

Yeah, I concur. I really think the days of standing at football are gone though. What's much more important to me is 1. a winning team (team playing well always equals more noise) and 2. an improvement in ancillary services. Football supporters only apparently are allowed to eat pies and drink bovril. Improved catering (and County actually have far better catering than most clubs I've been to) is essential to getting people to come to games.

I'm not paying £25 to stand for 90 minutes and eat a pie and watch the team thump long balls up to Michael Gardyne and Billy Mckay.

(02-09-2018, 03:36 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Quite agree, it is one of the biggest myths that we created an atmosphere with terracing. Can remember games towards the end of our promotion season where people were just as quiet as they are now. I can look back and pin point four or possibly five games where the atmosphere was something to write home about in say a 10-15 year period.

Roy did seem keen on it at one stage, but then came out with a statement a few months after saying it was too expensive. At the time it was a bit odd as for someone who seemed so keen on it, you'd have thought that he would have looked into the costs.

The Hibs game is the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at football. The 2-3 Rangers game as well, was incredible in the jail end.

But at the same time, the Celtic semi final (either of them) were all seated and absolutely compared in terms of atmosphere. It's numbers and goals. Not whether we're standing or sitting.

Like I say, I doubt we'll ever see standing back at Victoria Park, and I'm not sure I'm really bothered one way or the other.

I think the real issue with atmosphere is the expectancy to win.

Absolutely agree with that too.
Maybe worth remembering we were all able to stand at the Hibs (as far as I could see anyway, I was right at the back) and Celtic games but it was that they were thrilling games of football for us which had had the biggest bearing on atmosphere.
There were a fair few great nights in the Jailend in cup games such as the Rangers one, Dundee, Hearts but as you say, expectancy levels were different when we were the lower league club on a cup run against SPL big boys (and I think even Dundee were top of Division 1 the time we drew with them and we all stunned at their Dundonianness outside the National).
Everything has moved on since then, except maybe Dundonians

I reckon Standing would enhance the Jailend experience. For one thing your head would be a bit higher up and thus improve your view a bit. And you're warmer standing than sitting.

While I don't disagree with Filthy & Henry, I still think there would be a slightly different atmosphere, more open to making some noise. I think you feel a bit more engaged when you're on your feet.
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

I think the unreserved aspect is as (or probably more) important than the standing bit. People who aren't always necessarily at every game need to be able to move around a bit week to week to be beside their pals. But I'd be delighted to see safe standing in the Jailend.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(02-09-2018, 10:23 PM)Spain Wrote: I think the unreserved aspect is as (or probably more) important than the standing bit. People who aren't always necessarily at every game need to be able to move around a bit week to week to be beside their pals. But I'd be delighted to see safe standing in the Jailend.

yes, the flexibility /unreserved places aspect would favour a better, more united atmosphere
FergnKetts - BestBossYets

Appreciate that some don't want to stand at games and are quite happy to sit there. However from my point of view I prefer to stand at games - just my personal preference.
Thankfully I've got a back row seat in the Jailend so with me standing I'm not bothering anyone else. but I can see why its an issue for those wanting to stand, but can't and are being forced to sit due to people behind wanting to sit.

To me having safe standing would give fans the option to sit or stand.

Although I agree with Spain, the unreserved position is a cheap alternative.

I mentioned this to the club last season, and the response was that for safety reasons the club needs to know who is sitting where.
but that's a load of nonsense, as for most games you can walk up on the day and buy a ticket and no one asks your name, so that throws that theory right out of the water!