Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Supporters Buses.
As it is becoming apprent, people are stopping using the supporters buses. Dundee away is just the latest in a string of cancelled buses. I think it’s about time the whole supporters bus idea had a revamp. Look at the facts and it’s no wonder that nobody wants to travel on them.

Dundee is a 3 hour journey from Dingwall. So why on Earth is the supporters bus leaving at 9 o’clock in the morning? This isn’t a one off and seems to be the regular leaving time when most destinations are no more than 4 hours away from Dingwall. Nobody wants to be up in the early hours of the day to get ready for a bus leaving 2.5 hours early.

I have been put off going to away matches for purely this reason. I would travel to a lot more away matches if the buses left at a reasonable and justified time. I understand that the reason for this is an excessively lengthy stop in Perth for a few to enjoy a drink beforehand. It seems these buses are being run for the few and not the many that could enjoy the game which are being put off by this.

I think this is an issue that needs addressing and we may end up seeing a bigger travelling support on the buses and more support at away games for the team in general.

(02-01-2018, 09:31 PM)staggiefan1 Wrote: As it is becoming apprent, people are stopping using the supporters buses. Dundee away is just the latest in a string of cancelled buses. I think it’s about time the whole supporters bus idea had a revamp. Look at the facts and it’s no wonder that nobody wants to travel on them.

Dundee is a 3 hour journey from Dingwall. So why on Earth is the supporters bus leaving at 9 o’clock in the morning? This isn’t a one off and seems to be the regular leaving time when most destinations are no more than 4 hours away from Dingwall. Nobody wants to be up in the early hours of the day to get ready for a bus leaving 2.5 hours early.

I have been put off going to away matches for purely this reason. I would travel to a lot more away matches if the buses left at a reasonable and justified time. I understand that the reason for this is an excessively lengthy stop in Perth for a few to enjoy a drink beforehand. It seems these buses are being run for the few and not the many that could enjoy the game which are being put off by this.

I think this is an issue that needs addressing and we may end up seeing a bigger travelling support on the buses and more support at away games for the team in general.

Dundee bus is on

(02-01-2018, 09:31 PM)staggiefan1 Wrote: As it is becoming apprent, people are stopping using the supporters buses. Dundee away is just the latest in a string of cancelled buses. I think it’s about time the whole supporters bus idea had a revamp. Look at the facts and it’s no wonder that nobody wants to travel on them.

would you rather the buses were run like a Sunday school picnic?

(02-01-2018, 10:08 PM)kenthehood Wrote: would you rather the buses were run like a Sunday school picnic?

The poster raises a valid point, so I don't what you're attacking them for. Leaving 6 hours before an away match in Dundee is quite frankly ridiculous and hardly persuades families with children to make the trip. One of my caley mates said their bus left at 10:45am, and still got there prior to 2pm!

(02-02-2018, 01:31 AM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: One of my caley mates said their bus left at 10:45am

Oops, your mask is slipping..

(02-02-2018, 09:20 AM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Oops, your mask is slipping..

Literally my thought process when typing that was "I just know that that Peter the Jakey bloke is going to come back with some unfunny, predictable comment". Nice to see I was proven right (again).

(02-02-2018, 01:31 AM)StaggiesAwayFromHome Wrote: The poster raises a valid point, so I don't what you're attacking them for. Leaving 6 hours before an away match in Dundee is quite frankly ridiculous and hardly persuades families with children to make the trip. One of my caley mates said their bus left at 10:45am, and still got there prior to 2pm!

So that's Coyle, McGregor and now our supporters buses.
What's next on your agenda?

(02-02-2018, 09:41 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: So that's Coyle, McGregor and now our supporters buses.

Pete The Jakey.

Tho, to be fair, who hasn't had him on their agenda?  Wink
The guy's 'box office'.

(02-02-2018, 09:41 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: So that's Coyle, McGregor and now our supporters buses.

That's a lot of things to have an agenda over. Maybe, just maybe, sitting bottom of the league means that not everything at the club is perfect?

I'm afraid to say that we have a fan base of happy clappers.

And, FWIW, I don't quite recall saying anything negative regarding McGregor. I heard on a national broadcaster that he could be resigning, and asked the question here without any viewpoint whatsoever...nor have I commented in a negative way about McGregor in the past, other than that he made a poor managerial choice.

I can't quite see how that's an agenda against McGregor, but, hey, why let facts get in the way of making me out to be the bad guy?

I've not been on a supporters bus since i was a teenager (i.e. before i moved to Edinburgh).  But i quite liked leaving early to break the journey up and make more of a day of it, rather than just being driven straight to game, watching game, then driving straight home (as sometimes happened with friend's parents).  
As an adult I still prefer the earlier start and the broken-up journey.

Fair enough if others prefer going straight there and back, but it all seems a bit subjective?
I'm not sure its worth strong opinions leading to an angry thread, especially one with snide comments like " an excessively lengthy stop in Perth for a few to enjoy a drink",  "it seems these buses are being run for the few and not the many"and calling the start time "quite frankly ridiculous".

FWIW, us Edinburgh-based Central Staggies usually meet at the train station at 930am - 10am for 3pm kickoffs.  
So a similar start time for a much shorter journey, purely to make more of a day of it.
I've not exactly canvassed opinion on this, but most folk I know prefer an earlier start.
Obviously some don't, because subjective things are subjective.

If it is such an issue, maybe a poll would be more helpful?  Dunno, seems a better idea than yet another rage and sass-fuelled thread winding this place up.

(02-02-2018, 10:36 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: I've not been on a supporters bus since i was a teenager (i.e. before i moved to Edinburgh).  But i quite liked leaving early to break the journey up and make more of a day of it, rather than just being driven straight to game, watching game, then driving straight home (as sometimes happened with friend's parents).  
As an adult I still prefer the earlier start and the broken-up journey.

Fair enough if others prefer going straight there and back, but it all seems a bit subjective?
I'm not sure its worth strong opinions leading to an angry thread, especially one with snide comments like " an excessively lengthy stop in Perth for a few to enjoy a drink",  "it seems these buses are being run for the few and not the many"and calling the start time "quite frankly ridiculous".

FWIW, us Edinburgh-based Central Staggies usually meet at the train station at 930am - 10am for 3pm kickoffs.  
So a similar start time for a much shorter journey, purely to make more of a day of it.
I've not exactly canvassed opinion on this, but most folk I know prefer an earlier start.

If it is such an issue, maybe a poll would be more helpful?  Dunno, seems a better idea than yet another rage and sass-fuelled thread polluting this place.

I'd prefer the bus to leave on the Friday and come back on the Sunday, but with a wife and three kids I'd probably struggle!!

Our fans are having a hard time supporting our team at VP let alone away from home!

(02-02-2018, 10:46 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: I'd prefer the bus to leave on the Friday and come back on the Sunday, but with a wife and three kids I'd probably struggle!!

Our fans are having a hard time supporting our team at VP let alone away from home!

Haha! Stick it on the poll  Wink

By the way that we are playing at present maybe a mini bus or a people carrier would suffice for some of the away games!!

(02-02-2018, 11:49 AM)OldVic Wrote: By the way that we are playing at present maybe a mini bus or a people carrier would suffice for some of the away games!!

I think its the same price to put on regardless?

I tend to agree with the post about bus times, in particular the shorter trips, Aberdeen, Perth Dundee, Edinburgh, no need to be leaving at 9am, Glasgow area, Kilmarnock then ok, not so bad, extra time is needed.
The last time I was on a supporters bus it stopped in Perth on the way back for over an hour, I didn't mind the stop on the way down but felt the stop on the way back was unnecessary when some people were just wanting back up the road, plenty of time to hit the pub then for those that want to.
I could quite easily be tempted to away games on the bus if it were to leave Inverness at 10-45/11.
That's just my own selfish opinion as it would allow me to take part in an event (parkrun )that takes place in Inverness every Saturday morning that I wouldn't like to give up then It gives me time to catch the bus afterwards.
Only thinking of myself here, but what do others think about the leaving time and stopping on the way back..

(02-02-2018, 12:36 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Only thinking of myself here, but what do others think about the leaving time and stopping on the way back..

I'd have to agree with the stopping on the way back, especially after a bloody loss you just want to get up the road. As you say an hour on the way back is quite excessive, especially if you're not a drinker, you just end up milling about.

If folk want a drink on the way home, let them have a couple cans on the bus, as long as they are discrete and don't annoy other folk. Luckily anytime I have been on the bus it is usually self policed quite well. Any [censored] behaviour is dealt with quickly.

Few of us share the drive now so we don't have to set off so early, but for those with no alternative option, they should use the bus. It is fairly priced in the grand scheme of things.

(02-02-2018, 12:36 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: I could quite easily be tempted to away games on the bus if it were to leave Inverness at 10-45/11.
That's just my own selfish opinion as it would allow me to take part in an event (parkrun )that takes place in Inverness every Saturday morning that I wouldn't like to give up then It gives me time to catch the bus afterwards.

You must be one of these buggers that does it in under 17 minutes if you're still making a bus at 10:45. Wink

There's some very valid points bring made in is thread. It's very rare I travel to away games, and even rarer if I do that I go on a supporters bus, sometimes that has been because I've weighed up whether I want to leave first thing in the morning when I shouldn't need to or what time I might make it back if the bus stops on the way home (I'm thinking about Scotland games here too).

I think we all appreciate there are some who enjoy making a day of it and see that time in the pub with fellow fans as part of it... But there also those who see it simply as the best way to get to and from the game and making ends meet.

Maybe worth pointing out that the supporters club has been travelling to away games for the last 25+ years, and its generally always left between 9-9.30am

I know everyone has different ideas about what the supports bus should be doing / not doing, but at the end of the day it is a few dedicated people that put hard work into running the supporters club, and year on year they always ask for volunteers to come forward and help - very rarely is help given!

So those running it are doing what they think is best.

What is being forgotten is that these stops in Perth are not just for the supporters but to allow the driver get break time on his tachograph which is a legal requirement. I go to several away games each season and I enjoy the stops as you get a chance to socialize with others on the bus. I have seldom heard any complaints other than trips where the bus has had problems or there has been traffic problems on route

(02-02-2018, 02:21 PM)gujeecof Wrote: What is being forgotten is that these stops in Perth are not just for the supporters but to allow the driver get break time on his tachograph which is a legal requirement. I go to several away games each season and I enjoy the stops as you get a chance to socialize with others on the bus. I have seldom heard any complaints other than trips where the bus has had problems or there has been traffic problems on route

Totally agree, I've never had any issue with bus times or organised stops, I think the BISC do a great job of organising the coaches and stop-off points.
Supporter Liaison Officer