Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dundee at Home 2/12/17
I can see why Coyle has kept McCarey in goal, obviously didn't feel he wanted to drop him after keeping a clean sheet at Tynecastle, it's a good time now to get Fox back in i think! McCarey is far from the worst keeper we've had, but Fox is definitely a better option.

I wasn't keen on when McCarey did the wee step over to fool the Dundee striker, had enough of that with Fox!

McCarey seems a lot more comfortable at commanding the six yard box when crosses come in than Fox does. I think we underplay Fox's weaknesses at times, McCarey hasn't shown himself to be significantly worse. No reason to drop him, really.

A disappointing result but it's a very competitive mini-league this season between ourselves, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hamilton, Hearts, and Partick Thistle. The top 5 is nailed on to be Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Motherwell, and Hibs. Between 6th and 12th, there's very little between the teams.

(12-04-2017, 01:26 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: McCarey seems a lot more comfortable at commanding the six yard box when crosses come in than Fox does. I think we underplay Fox's weaknesses at times, McCarey hasn't shown himself to be significantly worse. No reason to drop him, really.

A disappointing result but it's a very competitive mini-league this  season between ourselves, St. Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Dundee, Hamilton, Hearts, and Partick Thistle. The top 5 is nailed on to be Celtic, Aberdeen, Rangers, Motherwell, and Hibs. Between 6th and 12th, there's very little between the teams.

Agreed on both points.
While I probably prefer Fox, McCarey has taken his opportunity for a run well. I'm sure the vast majority of us expected him to start on Saturday especially after keeping a clean sheet at Tynecastle.

That's the good and bad of the SPL. While it's good to have 7 teams being much of a muchness, that they're all battling to avoid being caught up in relegation makes it feel like a competition to be the least [censored] rather than anything more positive.

(12-03-2017, 11:33 PM)the reaper Wrote: WTF Guys. Jesus at least got a chance to make his defence before they crucified him.  Our new manager will still be assessing players in training and in combat.   Given that he went up the tunnel at full time and no-one came out for a warm down speaks volumes.

Negatives straight forward.   P45 to Kelly.  Not up to it.  Second half lovely pass back from Eagles who shouted for overhead ball to corner, what does he do? Cuts inside and loses ball.  IMO Eagles was let down by players who are not, and some will never be, on his wavelength.   It was very clear that Keillor Dunn is, they worked well together.
Questions about Midge. Has he still got it at this level as a winger?  Would he prove more productive in between midfield and strikers I.e.  no 8 or 10?
Routis,  an unloved hero.  This guy is so frustrating.  One minute brilliance, next disaster.  Why?
Lindsay, the next P45.  I've seen less flapping from a shot goose.   Exit asap.
Forwards - Dundee set up to create a complete blockade in mid field.  Either a 3-8 or an 8-3 when we got yhe ball.   You can counter that by lying well back in tight formation and rely on two very  fast counterattacking strikers or push hard forrd with a big forward with a fast striker playing off him backed up by two midfielders one waiting outside the box and the other following in a few yards behind.  There was evidence on Saturday of the second strategy but not the first.
Suggest Mr Coyle is given another six games before he walks the plank!!!!!

I was wondering if Midge was carrying an injury as he looked pedestrian on Saturday - I think the Keillor-Dunn substitution should have happened earlier....Also think Routis should have been at the centre of our back four,  he looked pretty solid there when Davis went off at Tynecastle....

I don't get this backing off attacking players malarkey - someone make a tackle and try and win the ball back!!!
Supporter Liaison Officer 

First of all, we have got players in the team every week who aren’t good enough. I find Kelly getting a run of games ahead of Tumilty or Malcolm really surprising, whereas Lindsay is playing because of a contract clause.

Why was Keillor-Dunn on the bench at home to the bottom club? I think that was a mistake. He’s been our best player since breaking into the team and it’s the type of game we need creative players. Eagles and Gardyne are both individually talented, but neither have any real pace to get in behind teams.

We have a problem up front because none of the four are suited to the lone striker role and we simply need to sign one in January or go with a partnership, but I think we’re going to find it very difficult to find someone in January to come in and hit the ground running.

I think DKD will be need to be managed, it's his first season in the top team, so you don't want him burning out and losing his way- I very much doubt he'd have made a huge difference (though he'd have tracked back more than Eagles).

As for Linsday at his best he's been very good-Dundee away being one example of him being very effective. However, when he's bad he's really, really, really bad. Seems to have some questionable decision making when it comes to positioning and passing options. He's only 22, mind.

(12-04-2017, 01:26 PM)StrathyStaggie Wrote: McCarey hasn't shown himself to be significantly worse. No reason to drop him, really.

Fox is easily one of out best players and one of two reasons we stayed up last season. We'd probably have gone down if McScarey had played all of last season.

(12-04-2017, 10:45 PM)Despot Wrote: I think DKD will be need to be managed, it's his first season in the top team, so you don't want him burning out and losing his way- I very much doubt he'd have made a huge difference (though he'd have tracked back more than Eagles).

As for Linsday at his best he's been very good-Dundee away being one example of  him being very effective. However, when he's bad he's really, really, really bad. Seems to have some questionable decision making when it comes to positioning and passing options. He's only 22, mind.

At the age of 22 he should be well into his football career.
Alan Ball was 21 when he won the World Cup.
Then, the year after.
James McCalliog was only 21 when Scotland beat England the following year.
Jim Baxter and Dennis Law days, when football was great.

(12-05-2017, 12:30 AM)MOGO Wrote: At the age of 22 he should be well into his football career.
Then, the year after.

You beat me to it.  Absolutely.  However I thought he was a bit younger but stand to be corrected.  Something not quite right if he's on loan from Celtic at 22 and not even holding down a starting spot with us.  cast the mind back to Jackson Irvine, rough but you could see the potential.  Can't say the same about Lindsay.

(12-05-2017, 12:30 AM)MOGO Wrote: At the age of 22 he should be well into his football career.
Then, the year after.

Football's changed. Lindsay is at Celtic- youth players aren't now establishing themselves there (unless they are prodigious talents like Tierney) until they are approaching their mid 20's- Callum McGregor is two years older than Lindsay.

Football has changed?
Yes, if anything it is now easier for young talent to shine through.
Only change in the management thinking is, we want to win every game at any cost, therefore if a player such as Lindsay can be replaced by a big loan signing from the likes of Man City, then that’s the way it is.
Just look at the loans Celtic made in the last few seasons.
Success in the cups and Europe enables them now to buy better.
As for age, Derek Johnstone, 16 years old when he played for Rangers, Parlane, 17, Paul McStay 17 ish, I think we hen he played for Celtic, our ex manager Neale Cooper 16 when he played for Aberdeen.
Thes players were very successful in their time at these clubs, in very competitive teams and against some very tough opponents.
Honestly, and I am not having at go a you, but at 22 , really a player should be well into his senior career in terms of development, agreed game time is another issue, going back to winning at all costs.

Lindsay being compared with Alan Ball is easily one of the best things this forum has ever seen.