Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Next Manager
Now changed to Owen Coyle as 4/5 - Looking increasingly likely.

(09-26-2017, 10:17 AM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Man looking awful like Coyle  but hey Mcliesh not a bad shout  two trebles  5 cups  with boss an signings now that's not bad. Cv

McLeish would be very good. However, the extreme hatred of anything Rangers by some on here would make him unpopular in some quarters.

Despite that, our chairman, who is a bluenose, makes strong decisions and would not be distracted by a minority.

Coyle is a decent shout too.

(09-26-2017, 10:59 AM)t3hShmo Wrote: Now changed to Owen Coyle as 4/5 - Looking increasingly likely.

All that means is that there's been a series of bets put on him.  

Given that there's going to be very little betting on this market, I'd imagine you'll see big swings on a daily basis.

He's also currently the favourite for the Falkirk job.

(09-26-2017, 11:03 AM)USSR Tycoon Wrote: McLeish would be very good. However, the extreme hatred of anything Rangers by some on here would make him unpopular in some quarters.

Despite that, our chairman, who is a bluenose, makes strong decisions and would not be distracted by a minority.

Coyle is a decent shout too.

As was seen with Willie McStay (and would be seen with anyone similar like McGhee, Hartley, Stubbs, etc.) from the other side of that utterly pathetic coin.

Coyle's not done that well with his last few clubs, so I'm unsure if he'd be a smart move or not.

(09-26-2017, 11:48 AM)Despot Wrote: Coyle's not done that well with his last few clubs, so I'm unsure if he'd be a smart move or not.

Aye, i'm unsure too.
Also wary he'd be expensive...

You can sort of mitigate his difficulties at his former clubs:
Bolton were a financial basket-case (ETA - think their troubles were after Coyle, not sure how much of a role that'd have played?).
Wigan were on a downward spiral.
No knowledge of Houston Dynamo.
Blackburn Rovers are a basket-case of a club in general under the Venky's.

But equally, I'm not aware of them ever looking particularly solid or on the verge of turning it around.

All bigger clubs than ours in a higher standard league (apart from Houston arguably), so perhaps he'd be better able to re-find the form of St Johnstone and Burnely with us?

Total speculation, but Coyle is one of the more interesting names linked, so more fun to speculate on.

A few people suggesting Ketts as a No.2, just wondering the reasoning for this. Is working as a number 2 better experience than being manager of the dev team, and would moving him to 1st team have a detrimental effect on the dev team.

I personally would rather he stayed with the dev team, I think we would all agree he's helped progress them massively and at least another year in that role will benefit both the dev team and Ketts.

If he becomes no.2 now, I cant see how he will ever be able to be the no.1. When MacIntyre got sacked we didn't keep Dodds, why would it be different with new manager and Ketts as No.2.

(09-26-2017, 12:28 PM)RSCStaggie Wrote: If he becomes no.2 now, I cant see how he will ever be able to be the no.1.  When MacIntyre got sacked we didn't keep Dodds, why would it be different with new manager and Ketts as No.2.

Because Kettlewell would be an internal appointment. 

Anyway, he won't be taking the assistant position. 

Names like Stubbs, Coyle, Butcher, McLeish all have something in common. Absolutely flunked South of the border.

(09-26-2017, 12:37 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Because Kettlewell would be an internal appointment. 

Anyway, he won't be taking the assistant position. 

Names like Stubbs, Coyle, Butcher, McLeish all have something in common. Absolutely flunked South of the border.

Derek MacInnes had an absolute mare at Bristol, he's doing no bad for himself back up here though...

So he should given his budget.

(09-26-2017, 01:02 PM)Rocco Wrote: Derek MacInnes had an absolute mare at Bristol, he's doing no bad for himself back up here though...

Yes buy Coyle has had a series - how many before its a pattern.  I think he is a risk but think we are a club that needs to be willing to take a risk as we do with players.  Am against Butcher, Mcleish but do wonder about Coyle and possibly Hartley who I think did a not bad job at Dundee.

If thinking about risk and know its early but why not Kettlewell with an experienced director of football in at least for the season.  He could be put in as a no 2 but not sure what the point of that would be - he has the technical skills and if things go south it would clearly hamper his chances.  Kettlewell knows the club and players, would have the backing of the fans, he is clearly better qualified than Foran was, he has had a short break since his playing days and younger managers can i think offer something a little different.   I really think he might be worth the risk.

Coyle or McLeish would be good appointments, both with something to prove, but I doubt we could afford them.

I Personally wouldn't mind Hartley! - Surely im no the only one?

(09-26-2017, 11:56 AM)staggie1746 Wrote: As an old Blackburn Rovers fan, it's true they are now a total mess under Venky's but ask any Rovers supporter if Coyle is a good manager and they'll laugh in your face.
He had his moment of glory with Burnley and since then nothing.
Check out his win/lose ratio on Wikipedia. He even got kicked out of an American soccer team for being useless. Since Blackburn I think he's been unemployed.

I can even remember him playing for us at County for a few games and he was next to useless then. 

I hope Roy reads this ! Big Grin

And before anyone tells me I'm not a real County fan I've been going to games here since we were in the Highland League.... 

Aye, i'm unsure too.
Also wary he'd be expensive...

You can sort of mitigate his difficulties at his former clubs:
Bolton were a financial basket-case (ETA - think their troubles were after Coyle, not sure how much of a role that'd have played?).
Wigan were on a downward spiral.
No knowledge of Houston Dynamo.
Blackburn Rovers are a basket-case of a club in general under the Venky's.

But equally, I'm not aware of them ever looking particularly solid or on the verge of turning it around.

All bigger clubs than ours in a higher standard league (apart from Houston arguably), so perhaps he'd be better able to re-find the form of St Johnstone and Burnely with us?

Total speculation, but Coyle is one of the more interesting names linked, so more fun to speculate on.

Sorry I got my reply the wrong way round ! Anyway at least you know what my views on Coyle are !

Coyle & McLeish; Have made their money and therefore I would doubt if they would still have the ambition to manage a small club.
Hartley; Did really well at Alloa but the Dundee supporters couldn't wait for him to leave.
Butcher; I don't fancy at all as I can never forget the run he had at Hibs to get them relegated.
It won't matter what I say as it's not my decision and let's be honest I don't think anybody on here suggested JM before he was appointed, so I expect maybe another outsider!!
From the choices mentioned on here Jack Ross, Paul Hartley or surprisingly John Hughes

(09-26-2017, 01:38 PM)It Wrote:
Sorry I got my reply the wrong way round ! Anyway at least you know what my views on Coyle are !

I thought he was quite good for us!  Nothing dramatic, but 2 goals in 5 games, and showed some moments of class.  We've certainly had worse, "next to useless" seems a bit harsh, no?

My take on his Blackburn spell is maybe biased as my brother-in-law is a Blackburn fan and hates the Venky's, so most blame gets put on them.  
That said, he doesn't exactly rave about Coyle, and as per my earlier post, I'm not aware of them ever looking particularly solid or on the verge of turning it around under him.
Was all more speculating than pimping  Wink

I reckon he'll be too expensive regardless.

(09-26-2017, 09:26 AM)Ross shire buff Wrote: My first cast mmmm lot taking the bite  even the plumber with boot on wrong foot ?Snap!!!

Did warn you ROY would have words   Who would be your choice   By the way anyone wanting  autograph gOwen  Coyle  in  kincraig hotel mmmmm

As I stated before in an earlier post, my preferred appointment would be Jack Ross. Obviously if Tommy Wright fancied it I'd reconsider!

My m8's a Wigan fan living in Inverness and he's pi$$ing himself laughing at the prospect of Coyle getting the job. I can't repeat what he thinks of him given the younger readers of this forum. Needless to say, it's of a non complimentary content.

Buff, keep casting your line out but bear in mind.......... I treat all your posts as nonsense!

(09-26-2017, 12:28 PM)RSCStaggie Wrote: A few people suggesting Ketts as a No.2, just wondering the reasoning for this. Is working as a number 2 better experience than being manager of the dev team, and would moving him to 1st team have a detrimental effect on the dev team.

I personally would rather he stayed with the dev team, I think we would all agree he's helped progress them massively and at least another year in that role will benefit both the dev team and Ketts.

If he becomes no.2 now, I cant see how he will ever be able to be the no.1.  When MacIntyre got sacked we didn't keep Dodds, why would it be different with new manager and Ketts as No.2.

It is not definite that the next manager will be sacked. If he does well he could easily be poached by another side. In such circumstances - assuming the number 2 doesn't accompany him south - then the number 2 could be well placed to be the next manager

Deke's shortlist: Eric Black, Tommy Wright, Allan Johnston, Barry Smith, Jim Weir and Don Cowie

(09-26-2017, 02:59 PM)Djamiepscot Wrote: As I stated before in an earlier post, my preferred appointment would be Jack Ross. Obviously if Tommy Wright fancied it I'd reconsider!

My m8's a Wigan fan living in Inverness and he's pi$$ing himself laughing at the prospect of Coyle getting the job. I can't repeat what he thinks of him given the younger readers of this forum. Needless to say, it's of a non complimentary content.

Buff, keep casting your line out but bear in mind.......... I treat all your posts as nonsense!

The other day you posted utter nonsense told you to cut to the chase then more or less put the answere in your head, about noddy  and Doddy , you went very quiet  Jamie ,you see I don't mind you taking all my posts as nonsense that's your your Prerogative   Within Ross county I have good friends who I just admire and respect and they do same to me, I'm in Ibiza but knew Mac and knack were getting it  and had news well before you ,
Now on Thus fantasy mate you have sit in dark room and tell him over and over again Owen Coyle nice man  ps is your mate woolybach or minchbag. Love the welsh I do ,met two here on holiday  little toerags man  have a nice week , come on Jamie your the man  like your posts Ido mun ,

(09-26-2017, 01:53 PM)ESkipper Wrote: Coyle & McLeish; Have made their money and therefore I would doubt if they would still have the ambition to manage a small club.
Hartley; Did really well at Alloa but the Dundee supporters couldn't wait for him to leave.
Butcher; I don't fancy at all as I can never forget the run he had at Hibs to get them relegated.
It won't matter what I say as it's not my decision and let's be honest I don't think anybody on here suggested JM before he was appointed, so I expect maybe another outsider!!
From the choices mentioned on here Jack Ross,  Paul Hartley or surprisingly John Hughes

Hartley nearly relegated Dundee ,  big Yogi good man yogi Hughes It's up to Owen though lol