Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Staggies bar
So, whats the verdict on Staggies bar?

Not eaten in there yet, is it decent?

Been in 3 times after games for a few pints...not impressed by the live entertainment which starts almost immediately after the game. At least let folks have a blether for a wee while before the singing starts. But good on club for trying something new.

Use it most weeks and it's been a great addition the past few seasons, avoids having to go up the street if you want a few beers after the game.
Basket suppers are fine, basic menu but perfect for a quick bite before or after the game (also available in the Hamilton upstairs).
The Hamilton lounge is the Red Poppy Restaurant Thurs-Sun and the menu looks decent, saw it on Sunday.
Agree the music starts a bit early, you really want to have a chat about the game (maybe not last Sunday), plus it has the acoustics of a Kwik Fit garage. But fair play to them for making an effort. We are fortunate to have such a facility.

One issue I found on Sunday that for Aberdeen they had a barrier set up to allow a queue to form- it wasn't there for the Rangers game and it became a bit of a mess.

Other than that, it's pretty decent. The food is good- scampi especially.

(08-29-2017, 10:19 AM)Despot Wrote: One issue I found on Sunday that for Aberdeen they had a barrier set up to allow a queue to form- it wasn't there for the Rangers game and it became a bit of a mess.

Other than that, it's pretty decent. The food is good- scampi especially.

Scampi is always a safe bet.  If it's overcooked, not so good, but generally a solid choice.

A few of these points have already been raised i.e. the music maybe starting a bit later - one thing I did notice in there on Sunday was the heat - it was like a sauna - but then it was really quite warm outside also.

I've eaten in the bar twice now and have to say it's pretty good value for money - not many clubs offering this kind of facility for fans. Haven't tried the restaurant in Hamilton as yet, but fully intend on booking a table to give it a whirl.

Another suggestion is that they utilise other local acoustic musicians and vary the music on offer in the bar - there are loads of good young local musicians that could do a turn in the bar during a season.
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Nothing against the manny with the guitar, but nobody wants to hear live music in the immediate aftermath of a miserable defeat like on Sunday.

Also, please have another lager on tap that isn't Tennent's.

They have some Cromarty ales in the fridge which make a nice change, the Red Rocker is pretty damn good.

Was going to have a moan on Twitter but maybe there's more chance of it being seen on here by those who matter.

While it's understandable that the Hamilton lounge has been closed to us due to extra hospitality demand the past few games, the Staggies bar doesn't cope well when busy.
The queue yesterday about 2.15 was the full length of the room, my mate queued for 20mins to reach one from the front to be told the bar was closing.
If they are going to allow away fans in for these games when there is clearly going to be a large away support, then it would be far better if they had someone pouring and lining up pints so all that needs to be done is payment taken. I've seen this done at bars around Tynecastle.
There always seems to be an issue with kegs, before the Accies game (12.30 when it was dead) it took a good 20mins for them to sort out the Happy Chappy, and yesterday after the game I was 5mins waiting for a Tennents. If they had someone permanently on pint duty then perhaps these issues would be managed better.
They also used to have a couple of kegs at the other end of the room, why did that stop?
It would only need to be done from about 1.30 - 2.45.

Post game it's usually fine after the initial queue when everyone comes in.

A fairly minor gripe, but it would be good if they could get the Sky boxes set up better. They were unable to have either the Merseyside or Manchester derby matches showing on the screens in the main area of the bar and then somebody pressed the TV guide just as Man Utd scored their 3rd goal!

I think it would also be worth investing in a BT Sports subscription for the bar.

(04-08-2018, 12:19 PM)sirjames Wrote: A fairly minor gripe, but it would be good if they could get the Sky boxes set up better. They were unable to have either the Merseyside or Manchester derby matches showing on the screens in the main area of the bar and then somebody pressed the TV guide just as Man Utd scored their 3rd goal!

I think it would also be worth investing in a BT Sports subscription for the bar.

AGREED. Bar staff were clueless as to how to get the games on the main bar screens. The TV Guide issue is not a new thing and would think they would have sorted it by now

(04-08-2018, 12:19 PM)sirjames Wrote: A fairly minor gripe, but it would be good if they could get the Sky boxes set up better. They were unable to have either the Merseyside or Manchester derby matches showing on the screens in the main area of the bar and then somebody pressed the TV guide just as Man Utd scored their 3rd goal!

BT was cancelled by the club because they can’t afford it according to David O’Connor as for the TV guide thing it’s been like that since extinction went in

The TV guide problem just seems to have moved. The Victoria Suite used to suffer it for years.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(04-08-2018, 10:53 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Was going to have a moan on Twitter but maybe there's more chance of it being seen on here by those who matter.

While it's understandable that the Hamilton lounge has been closed to us due to extra hospitality demand the past few games, the Staggies bar doesn't cope well when busy.
The queue yesterday about 2.15 was the full length of the room, my mate queued for 20mins to reach one from the front to be told the bar was closing.
If they are going to allow away fans in for these games when there is clearly going to be a large away support, then it would be far better if they had someone pouring and lining up pints so all that needs to be done is payment taken. I've seen this done at bars around Tynecastle.
There always seems to be an issue with kegs, before the Accies game (12.30 when it was dead) it took a good 20mins for them to sort out the Happy Chappy, and yesterday after the game I was 5mins waiting for a Tennents. If they had someone permanently on pint duty then perhaps these issues would be managed better.
They also used to have a couple of kegs at the other end of the room, why did that stop?
It would only need to be done from about 1.30 - 2.45.

Post game it's usually fine after the initial queue when everyone comes in.

I’ll raise this with the club again Stuart - I can understand the extra demand for hospitality, but the regular punter can’t be overlooked for someone who decides to take hospitality once in a blue moon - the original arrangement was that it would be used for the bigger games, but the suite has been used for non-big team games which means it’s being used more for hospitality than was initially suggested.

I have no issue with this if the alternative for those being moved is adequate- but on Saturday Staggies Bar was struggling to cope again due to the size of bar and the number of staff in place.....it’s not as easy for people to relax and enjoy a blether and a pint as it is in the Hamilton.
Supporter Liaison Officer