Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3.5 Average
Ross County v Sevco Sun 27th Aug
Why no Billy Mckay Today? Sorry if I missed any news on another post.

Thought we stood a good chance of getting something from Today. How wrong was I Sad

That first half was one of the worst I have ever seen from a County side, they ran us ragged and we couldn't put any passes together. McIntyre must have given them a bollocking at half time as they came out about 5 minutes before the Rangers side!

Keillor-Dunn impressed today. I'd give him a start on the next one.

It's notable how each of the other teams around County's level have an out-ball, to receive the ball in space in a wide area and allow the team to push up the pitch.

Partick Thistle - Miles Storey and Connor Sammon
Kilmarnock - Lee Erwin, who scored from a punt over the top yesterday
Dundee - Rory Deacon, the right winger who they look to switch play to
Motherwell - Ryan Bowman
Hamilton - Rakish Bingham

Who do County have that the defence and midfield can lift their head and look to find when the team is under pressure?  Schalk is the only forward with enough pace to trouble a defence when he makes a run in behind, but he usually only looks for balls in behind the centre-backs (you can't get a killer ball every time) and we make him play with his back to goal too often.  He very rarely peels wide behind an opposing full-back, for team-mates to ping the ball into space for him to run on to and hold the ball up for the rest.  Colin McMenamin used to do it brilliantly with a fraction of Schalk's speed.  Jake Jervis was derided because we punted the ball to him with his back to goal, but he was at his best when he peeled wide to the touch-line to stretch his legs and hurt teams on the counter attack.

The out-ball for County is to punt it to Curran with his back to goal and hope he wins a losing battle against two bigger centre-backs.  He does pretty well in the circumstances but it gets the team no-where.

Most of the squad would suit a counter-attacking style, with a deepish defence and a harrying midfield.  A bit of pace on at least one of the wings and some curved movement from outside-to-in by one of the strikers would make a big difference to this team.  Billy Mckay used to do it against County before Marley Watkins took over, so hopefully he still has that in him.  McIntyre has never signed a winger for County with genuine pace that would beat a full-back, hopefully that will change pretty soon.

(08-27-2017, 07:27 PM)john@THHP Wrote: It's notable how each of the other teams around County's level have an out-ball, to receive the ball in space in a wide area and allow the team to push up the pitch.

Motherwell - Ryan Bowman

Who do County have that the defence and midfield can lift their head and look to find when the team is under pressure?  Schalk is the only forward with enough pace to trouble a defence when he makes a run in behind, but he usually only looks for balls in behind the centre-backs (you can't get a killer ball every time) and we make him play with his back to goal too often.  He very rarely peels wide behind an opposing full-back, for team-mates to ping the ball into space for him to run on to and hold the ball up for the rest.  Colin McMenamin used to do it brilliantly with a fraction of Schalk's speed.  Jake Jervis was derided because we punted the ball to him with his back to goal, but he was at his best when he peeled wide to the touch-line to stretch his legs and hurt teams on the counter attack.

The out-ball for County is to punt it to Curran with his back to goal and hope he wins a losing battle against two bigger centre-backs.  He does pretty well in the circumstances but it gets the team no-where.

Most of the squad would suit a counter-attacking style, with a deepish defence and a harrying midfield.  A bit of pace on at least one of the wings and some curved movement from outside-to-in by one of the strikers would make a big difference to this team.  Billy Mckay used to do it against County before Marley Watkins took over, so hopefully he still has that in him.  McIntyre has never signed a winger for County with genuine pace that would beat a full-back, hopefully that will change pretty soon.

(08-27-2017, 07:27 PM)john@THHP Wrote: It's notable how each of the other teams around County's level have an out-ball, to receive the ball in space in a wide area and allow the team to push up the pitch.

Motherwell - Ryan Bowman

It's of note that our goal today came from a ball played wide to a fast winger(Curran) and a swift cross into a striker facing the opposing goal.  How often today did the ball get played out from the back and ended up with Davis, a right footed player at the left side of a back three who was crowded so quickly he had to pass it back again.  How often did the ball being played out go to a player facing his own goal who did not look round to see who was where before getting the ball and then played it back.

(08-25-2017, 07:38 AM)john@THHP Wrote: Tavernier is the most dangerous right-back in the league when given the opportunity to roam forward.  Dow might not have hit the heights of March/April again yet, but like Gardyne he works his socks off for the team when they don't have the ball, which is the benchmark Keillor-Dunn needs to aspire to. I think it will be 352 if Davies is fit so there won't be a place for either.
Ref your earlier comments on young Keilor -Dunn.  Would welcome your observations on his performance today . For me he effectively took Tavernier out of the game.  Vs Dow in the first half Tavernier got a lot of space but once KD came on he was effectively out of it.  I thought this was a significant role in the better performance in the second half

You could make a case for all 3 subs who came on today getting a start next time
Mikkelsen's goal was the perfect demonstration of exactly what he can bring to the table when given the right service. As mentioned elsewhere, though, there isn't a touchline-hugging winger (DKD played well, but is that his natural role? He looks more like a #10 shoehorned into that position) in the squad to provide him with a steady diet of that sort of cross- you've got until 23:00 on Thursday, Jim
Lindsay can feel hard done by for being hooked early (why Chow started ahead of Draper baffles me)
Interesting to see who, if any, occupies the 2 overage player slots we're allowed for the u20s at Raith on Saturday....
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

All the best Scott. You have been a terrific keeper & servant for the Staggies. If to wasn’t for your tremendous shot stopping & Liam’s goals last season we would not be in the SPL this season. Top player & look forward to you having much success this season as well.

Fox's error has been coming - admittedly not in quite such a spectacular fashion. At the Aberdeen game, after he'd nearly waited too long again to clear the ball I turned to someone sitting nearby and said it's just a matter of time and he agreed. He's obviously been told not to send the ball upfield but sometimes a quick delivery would actually be a good idea. Instead he waits, fiddles about before throwing it to one of the defenders who then just pass it along the back line slowly until the last player near the touchline is forced to hoof it upfield, by which time the opposition are all nicely in position to get the ball. We almost never play it from the back , through the midfield and on to the forwards - sorry forward singular.

We pack the midfield but our midfield is neither a defensive unit nor an attacking unit. It's just 5 or 6 players running around aimlessly trying to get hold of the ball, and when they get it they immediately give it away.

Is it the players or the management that don't seem to have a clue?

I have to admit my comments are not based on the Rangers game, as I wasn't there - on holiday - thank goodness by the sound of it. They're based on the dross we've been watching for the last couple of seasons.

The reason we didn't get relegated last season was because the other teams were even worse than us, and not because we have a gifted management team.

It's early in the season and everything might suddenly click into place - but don't hold your breath..

I honestly didn't realise Chow was playing until he was substituted , he was that anonymous. Not sure why Lindsay was hooked, there were worse offenders than him.

Fox has had that coming, he's a great keeper but he's not Cryuff. He wasn't helped by Fraser playing a murder ball back to him, was far too hard. Similar in some respects to Fon Williams against us last year.

Mikkelsen did what we need to do to use him properly, flashed balls across the box for him to attack. He's not a burly striker like Thomson or Daly, he isn't going to win much against central defenders unless it's the right sort of ball.

One highlight: the venison pie was great. Finally managed to get one.

Forced myself to watch the whole game back last night, that first half was a whole new level of sh1te.
Jim has a had a go at the players for 'going into their shells' but surely he got it all wrong. Curran completely isolated.
Dow was completely anonymous, he has the odd good game but is he really deserving of a starting place? Lack of wide options is alarming, DKD looked bright, made a few mistakes but a great prospect.

Davies was very lucky that wasn't a red, retrospective ban? Probably, since it concerned one of the bigot brothers the SFA will take more interest.

'Sell Out' - I mentioned last week there would be loads of empty seats, there were plenty around me in the Jailend but seeing it on TV crikey, whole banks of empty seats in the east stand central lower section (hospitality?) and the ESE was more empty than full. What a pity when there were plenty fans that would have taken them. Answers on a postcard.

(08-29-2017, 08:55 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Forced myself to watch the whole game back last night, that first half was a whole new level of sh1te.
Jim has a had a go at the players for 'going into their shells' but surely he got it all wrong. Curran completely isolated.
Dow was completely anonymous, he has the odd good game but is he really deserving of a starting place? Lack of wide options is alarming, DKD looked bright, made a few mistakes but a great prospect.

Davies was very lucky that wasn't a red, retrospective ban? Probably, since it concerned one of the bigot brothers the SFA will take more interest.

'Sell Out' - I mentioned last week there would be loads of empty seats, there were plenty around me in the Jailend but seeing it on TV crikey, whole banks of empty seats in the east stand central lower section (hospitality?) and the ESE was more empty than full. What a pity when there were plenty fans that would have taken them. Answers on a postcard.

Yes I agree Stuart we were watching two girls with tickets !! Bunch of tickets !! Walking up and down selling them to Rangers supporters  what was that all about , if you recall Ross county. Were stating. Over a week ago that it was sell out, only themselves to blame why saybthings lije that ,some folk would have thought and by some comments on here didn't bother to get tickets as they thought.!! No !!chance !! Shame  real shame , some empty seats were due to people being in hospitality ,row behind me empty because all in hospitality , surely people should phone in and say their seat are freed up , there were 3 gents I never saw in my life before  in seats beside us ,one of whom was Davies father in Law 
Told us Andrew and family like it up here , 
Your on about Dow what about Russell Dingwall I've said it before  he is as good as some and better than others in his position ,games makes perfection

(08-29-2017, 08:55 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Forced myself to watch the whole game back last night, that first half was a whole new level of sh1te.

Yes I agree Stuart we were watching two girls with tickets !! Bunch of tickets !! Walking up and down selling them to Rangers supporters  what was that all about , if you recall Ross county. Were stating. Over a week ago that it was sell out, only themselves to blame why saybthings lije that ,some folk would have thought and by some comments on here didn't bother to get tickets as they thought.!! No !!chance !! Shame  real shame , some empty seats were due to people being in hospitality ,row behind me empty because all in hospitality , surely people should phone in and say their seat are freed up , there were 3 gents I never saw in my life before  in seats beside us ,one of whom was Davies father in Law 
Told us Andrew and family like it up here , 
Your on about Dow what about Russell Dingwall I've said it before  he is as good as some and better than others in his position ,games makes perfection

I saw little that fills me with enthusiasm for the season ahead.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

It's not Rangers, celtic or Aberdeen we need to worry about - It's Hamilton, Partick and Motherwell who in my opinion seem to be better than us and will leave us isolated at the bottom if things don't improve.

I think we've got a lot of hope pinned on Mckay once he's fit. Otherwise we're going to struggle to score enough- hell, even create enough to win games.

I've seen every league game so far this season and in every game we've shown bright periods (first half vs Dundee, first fifteen against Aberdeen, first half vs Motherwell and that wee spell in the second against Rangers) but it's worrying how we don't seem to be able to maintain that level of performance for more than 45 minutes.

Even our only league win so far we were hanging on for dear life at the end when Dundee should have been utterly buried in the first half.

I don't know what was worse, that first half display, fox error or me dropping my half eaten haggis pie at half time. Raging!

Draper should of started ahead of Chow. That young guy should of started ahead of Dow.

That first half was the worst I've seen from County.

(08-29-2017, 08:55 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Davies was very lucky that wasn't a red, retrospective ban? Probably, since it concerned one of the bigot brothers the SFA will take more interest.

If Davies were to pick up a 2 match ban, that would rule him out of our trip to Celtic. The cynic in me questions whether it's in Rangers' best interests to push for said sanction

Ticketing's a difficult one. The club can't re-sell the seats that have been sold to season ticket holders even if they've been told that the ticket won't be used by the individual who purchased it- the onus is really on the season ticket holder to find someone else to take the seat. How strict were the stewards in removing away fans sat in the home stands?

I'd heard reports of away fans buying up home stand tickets, then attempting to re-sell them when they were able to get in their own end. Again not sure of an easy way round this- do the club have the admin resources required for a database of those with purchasing history?
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(08-27-2017, 10:12 PM)the reaper Wrote:
Ref your earlier comments on young Keilor -Dunn.  Would welcome your observations on his performance today . For me he effectively took Tavernier out of the game.  Vs Dow in the first half Tavernier got a lot of space but once KD came on he was effectively out of it.  I thought this was a significant role in the better performance in the second half

Tavernier was a bit unsure of himself in the second half and Keillor-Dunn had a big part in that.  I really like the variety in his play - he'll take a player on either on the inside or outside, which doesn't always happen with right-footed wingers on the left.  We need to be patient with him but I wouldn't be surprised if he started against Thistle.

(08-31-2017, 08:37 PM)john@THHP Wrote: Tavernier was a bit unsure of himself in the second half and Keillor-Dunn had a big part in that.  I really like the variety in his play - he'll take a player on either on the inside or outside, which doesn't always happen with right-footed wingers on the left.  We need to be patient with him but I wouldn't be surprised if he started against Thistle.

Cheers confirms what I thought. Young lad looks an exciting prospect