Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First game of the league
Not much between the teams. We've taken one chance and squandered another great chance. They've rarely threatened. Decent Staggies support. COYS

2-0 to County Routis

Good to see the majority of the bench being made up of former Development Squad players! Buff will be Ross Shire Chuffed!

Holding on by the skin of our teeth by the sound of it

Full time 1-2, phew!

Great start guys, well done.

Good result away from home, nervy last few minutes by the look of it! What sort of system were we playing?

(08-05-2017, 04:30 PM)Rocco Wrote: Good to see the majority of the bench being made up of former Development Squad players! Buff will be Ross Shire Chuffed!

Wee memories running down my cheeks  absolutely thrilled  !!! At last  home grown talent get the chance,nobody can grumble  just grab it

9 unbeaten now!

Excellent start to the season.
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

(08-05-2017, 05:00 PM)Rocco Wrote: Good result away from home, nervy last few minutes by the look of it! What sort of system were we playing?

Whatever you want to call it out of a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1/4-5-1

Fox

Naismith Fraser Davies Kelly 

Chow

Gardyne Lindsay Routis Dow

Schalk

When Kenny went on with 15-20 mins to go it went to a back five in a 5-4-1.

The whole defence were pretty good.  Fraser and Davies make a really good combo and Fraser wasn't afraid to carry the ball 50 yards up the pitch.  I thought Naismith was our best player though, he dominated the right side and their left winger Wolters only had one good run through the centre - when he was up against Naismith he didn't stand a chance.

Great start to the season, well done staggies, maybe I jinxed it for the late goal though as I was trying to figure out how many consecutive minutes of competitive football ( including the 4 league cup games ) we had played without conceding a goal and if it was a record for us.
One for the statistical experts to look into.

We played more of a 3-5-2 in the first half and absolutely dominated. First to every ball, snapping and harassing in midfield with Lindsay pestering his opposite numbers to death. Virtually every player in the first half was fantastic, with Midge at his best. Possibly the only player who struggled somewhat was Schalk, who drifted in and out of the game but always looked to get involved even when it wasn't coming off.

First goal was well taken by Lindsay, finishing with a neat shot in the bottom corner- I think Davies may have got the assist for this? He definitely won the header that created the chance.

Routis should have made it 2-0, had three openings from 12 yards and refused to shoot or play in Midge, who had a 1 on 1 but it got hacked cleared.

Second half we sat a little deeper and out goal came against the run of play. Routis with a free header. After that the game went 50/50 for a bit before changes were made and we changed to a 4-4-2 which swung the game back into Dundee's favour and they swamped our midfield. We could barely get out of our half in the last twenty minutes and Dundee will feel they deserved their goal- another unmarked header from six yards.

Most of the side played well, but we dropped way too deep and lost control of the match when we went to a back 4, which virtually ended up as a back  eight in the dying minutes.

More than happy with that first half though, shows definite promise for the season!

(08-05-2017, 08:09 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Great start to the season, well done staggies, maybe I jinxed it for the late goal though as I was trying to figure  out  how many consecutive minutes of competitive football ( including the 4 league cup games ) we had played  without conceding a goal and if it was a record for us.
One for the statistical experts to look into.

526 minutes but dont know about records

Looked to me as if it was more 1 up throughout rather than 2. Agree that the substitutions weakened us  - Mikkleson does not appear suited to playing up font on his own and Midge was on fire! Presumably he was either knackered or Jim was thinking about three games in a week. Whatever,instead of cruising as we had been the last 10 minutes was nailbiting stuff.

I think Midge might need to be managed a little more carefully as well, 31 now and takes a hell of a kicking every game. I'd rather he gives us 65 minutes every game possible rather than 90 before getting injured off too many late/heavy challenges and missing several games. He's that important to us.

(08-05-2017, 06:09 PM)john@THHP Wrote: Whatever you want to call it out of a 4-3-3/4-1-4-1/4-5-1

Fox

Naismith Fraser Davies Kelly 

Chow

Gardyne Lindsay Routis Dow

Schalk

When Kenny went on with 15-20 mins to go it went to a back five in a 5-4-1.

The whole defence were pretty good.  Fraser and Davies make a really good combo and Fraser wasn't afraid to carry the ball 50 yards up the pitch.  I thought Naismith was our best player though, he dominated the right side and their left winger Wolters only had one good run through the centre - when he was up against Naismith he didn't stand a chance.

Thanks John, that's interesting to see, I assumed prior to the game that we'd probably go down the 3-5-2/5-3-2 type route that they've been trying, or back to a 4-4-2ish, good to see they actually learned a lesson from Hibs and beefed up the middle of the park!

Some analysis of the first half (I didn't record the second half properly).

Apologies to any slow readers, the text moves on quickly at the start. It might be worth pausing at some points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeVvt6mj...e=youtu.be

I was honestly surprised at how much Dundee kept trying to go down the left with Wolters, it didn't matter if it was an aerial duel or a pace duel, at no point did he get the better of Naismith,

(08-06-2017, 08:59 AM)john@THHP Wrote: Some analysis of the first half (I didn't record the second half properly).

Apologies to any slow readers, the text moves on quickly at the start. It might be worth pausing at some points.

Thanks for that John.

(08-06-2017, 08:59 AM)john@THHP Wrote: Some analysis of the first half (I didn't record the second half properly).

You don't post many videos, but when you do they're full of essential tidbits.  I don't recall that Morrison free kick at all.