Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Martin Woods
With it looking like we seem to have a space in central midfield (that possibly may be Draper sized) do you see any form of future at County next season for Martin Woods?

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea and is utter dreadful at set pieces but he is capable to playing a pass (the assist for Schalk in the third against Celtic for one) and I think could be used in a central three, if given the right balance around him.

Is he worth it or do we have to deal with a season of him sitting in the stands collecting a wage?

I think the relationship between player and management has completely broken down. He'll leave with a substantial pay-off before the end of the transfer window, I reckon.

I think could be used in a central three, if given the right balance around him, and I think he's probably our most creative midfielder (ahead of Chow, Lindsay, and Routis).

So I'd rather he played, where the formation suited him, than sat in the stand getting paid to miss his family.

But it looks a bit fooked now, seems might be best for all if he moved on, just need to find someone to take him, or agree (yet another) pay-off.

It's certainly a strange one. He was always a first pick and now doesn't get anywhere near the squad.

There is more chance of me playing up front than of Woods being here at Xmas

He won me over by the end of the season, but im still shocked about how quickly he has fallen out of favour.

He called Billy Dodds a "wee fat c u next Tuesday" after getting subbed off in a match towards the end of last season.

(07-27-2017, 11:46 PM)ELincognito Wrote: He called Billy Dodds a "wee fat c u next Tuesday" after getting subbed off in a match towards the end of last season.

[Image: tumblr_m0mfefsuAP1qe5vzdo5_250.gif]

(07-27-2017, 11:46 PM)ELincognito Wrote: He called Billy Dodds a "wee fat c u next Tuesday" after getting subbed off in a match towards the end of last season.

Wow, yeah that'll probably explain it....

[Image: 1476d.jpg?a416472]

I don't really rate him that highly. Can't see him being here much longer.

If he said those words a standoff is going to be inevitable if the management can't deal with it. Without doubt County are a better team with him playing. Worse things have happened in football between management and players and if you really want the player then solutions can be found. I don't think paying a full wage to do heehaw all season is a solution. We actually need him so I hope things can get sorted out e.g. Woods eats a bit of humble pie and Dodds loses some weight!

(07-27-2017, 02:56 PM)Forfinn Wrote: I think the relationship between player and management has completely broken down.  He'll leave with a substantial pay-off before the end of the transfer window, I reckon.

I think you are bang on Craig - he will go with a substantial pay-off - we really need to look at the type of contracts we hand out to players - the contract Woods was apparently on is just asking for trouble further down the line....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

(07-28-2017, 11:42 AM)staggie2509 Wrote: I think you are bang on Craig - he will go with a substantial pay-off - we really need to look at the type of contracts we hand out to players - the contract Woods was apparently on is just asking for trouble further down the line....

Its a difficult balance, as we were all raging with the one year contracts that saw our best players leave for free every year.

I imagine its a case of hoping the sales of players on long-term contracts (eg. Irvine and Boyce) balances out the pay-offs to others (this is a much longer list that I cant even begin to type...).

Generally helps if our players and management didn't fall out irreparably.

He has posted his farewells on Instagram, all the best to him, part of our memorable cup winning team,wonder where he will end up?

If we continue to use Gardyne and Dow out wide, the only central player in the squad who can pass forward is JOB.  
Please don't get injured or suspended, Jim...

EDIT:  That's not to imply we should have kept Woods.  
If he's fallen out with management then obviously his time was up (as was rumoured with Boyd, Cikos, etc.).  
For what it's worth, I felt bad for Woods; he was a talented but frustrating player who didn't suit the box to box role in a midfield 2, but he kept getting shoved in there.  
He had some moments of quality and didn't often hide, unfortunately his set pieces lacked quality and he didn't always track back, so he more than split opinion.
I did, and do, think management should take some responsibility for asking a player to perform a role he wasn't suited to, but that doesn't make Woods faultless.
So aye, mixed emotions here - still convinced there's a useful player in there that we're missing out on, but not convinced he'd be used properly (or step up to perform the job he was asked to do) and it seems he's another to fall out with management.  
On balance, best all round he gets a fresh start elsewhere.
Good luck to him.

(07-28-2017, 04:37 PM)Gmont82 Wrote: He has posted his farewells on Instagram, all the best to him, part of our memorable cup winning team,wonder where he will end up?

I feel dissed.  He didn't use his notes app on his iPhone to write us a thank you letter.

(07-27-2017, 04:32 PM)mike_lowrie Wrote: There is more chance of me playing up front than of Woods being here at Xmas

Guess my chances of being our top scorer this year are gone then haha

Disregard this thread, then. Oh well.

I always thought Woods and Jim were inseperable and would leave the club at the same time.
The P&J talks today of "falling out of favour after a disagreement with McIntyre".

That being the case, better he is away, for the club and himself.

Bye Tony.

(07-29-2017, 08:00 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: I always thought Woods and Jim were inseperable and would leave the club at the same time.
The P&J talks today of "falling out of favour after a disagreement with McIntyre".

That being the case, better he is away, for the club and himself.

Bye Tony.

Who?????