Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Betfred League Cup
Couple of interesting squad number changes, Schalk taking Boyce's 10 and Chow taking 8. Also Dykes wearing 16 on the bench, a sign of more first team involvement?

That's probably as strong a team as we can field and I'm not sure that front four (Schalk, Curran, Gardyne and Dow) is good enough to survive this season. I think we need more quality in there, particularly on the wing.

Schalk being number 10 looks to confirm what I thought - he will be our main striker and "Boyce's replacement". I think if he can improve his stamina then Schalk is capable of scoring 10-15 goals next season.

We definitely need another winger at least, otherwise I think we might struggle to score if there's injuries etc later in the season!

Cost £6 for us older gentlemen. Money reasonably well spent. Nice to see the pitch looking good at the start of the season. Just over a 1000 spectators.

We played a kind of back 2 with Davies and Fraser. Naismith and Kelly( I thought he looked good) played wide and slightly further forward. Chow and Lindsay ( I thought he looked good too) midfield. Midge on the right, Dow on the left. Schalk and Curran upfront.

We were definitely the better side and played some good football moving the ball around a lot. Maybe cutting edge ie scoring more goals was missing a bit. In fact the score could have been closer but for a couple of good saves from Fox.

Morrison and Mikkelsen came on for Curran & Schalk second half. Routis also came on.

Davies and Fraser solid. Naismith is good. Midge looked sharp. Schalk looked speedy. Curran still getting stuck in. The 2 new guys today looked like good additions to the squad.

2-0 . I left feeling quite positive.

(07-15-2017, 08:04 PM)“It Wrote: Cost £6 for us older gentlemen. Money reasonably well spent. Nice to see the pitch looking good at the start of the season. Just over a 1000 spectators.

We played a kind of back 2 with Davies and Fraser.  Naismith and Kelly( I thought he looked good) played wide and slightly further forward. Chow and Lindsay ( I thought he looked good too) midfield. Midge on the right, Dow on the left. Schalk and Curran upfront.

We were definitely the better side and played some good football moving the ball around a lot. Maybe cutting edge ie scoring more goals was missing a bit.  In fact the score could have been closer but for a couple of good saves from Fox.

Morrison and Mikkelsen came on for Curran & Schalk second half. Routis also came on.

Davies and Fraser solid. Naismith is good. Midge looked sharp. Schalk looked speedy. Curran still getting stuck in. The 2 new guys today looked like good additions to the squad.

2-0 .   I left feeling quite positive.

Pretty much agree thought Lindsay had some nice touches but was a little lightweight at times so am a bit concerned for the likes of Hibs and the season ahead.  Thought both fullbacks were ok and our wide players Dow and Midge worked hard we didn’t create as much as I would have liked and I do worry we don’t have much of a plan B beyond them.

(07-15-2017, 04:57 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: That's probably as strong a team as we can field and I'm not sure that front four (Schalk, Curran, Gardyne and Dow) is good enough to survive this season. I think we need more quality in there, particularly on the wing.

Schalk being number 10 looks to confirm what I thought - he will be our main striker and "Boyce's replacement". I think if he can improve his stamina then Schalk is capable of scoring 10-15 goals next season.

Not near good enough for SPL  Gardyhe won't make many games neither will Curran I'm so sorry for Curran he is a buzz bomb but mentally his previous injury will haunt him blooming good player better than Schalk whom I've always rated ordinary ,Dow very ordinary

Happy enough with the bulk of what I saw yesterday. Everything new that I saw and learnt were positives; Lindsay looked very promising, Kelly seemed decent enough and the defence on a whole looked very balanced and comfortable. Didn't get to see enough of Mikkelson to form much of an opinion though.

Things that were reinforced yesterday that are negatives - Schalk & Curran although both good at what they do shouldn't be played together (not as just a two up top anyway), we still need more squad depth on the wings and I still feel we're missing something in the middle of the park next to Lindsay. I don't dislike Chow, but just feel that he's a squad player only. I prefer Routis, but equally not sure he's the answer either.

We'd probably do ok as we are though if we got at least another winger in though and find a system that works with one of Morrison or Mikkelson playing alongside one of Curran or Schalk. That's what we need to try and work out against Montrose midweek I think. I'll be disappointed if Jim  plays Curran and Schalk together again.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(07-16-2017, 10:03 AM)Spain Wrote: Happy enough with the bulk of what I saw yesterday. Everything new that I saw and learnt were positives; Lindsay looked very promising, Kelly seemed decent enough and the defence on a whole looked very balanced and comfortable. Didn't get to see enough of Mikkelson to form much of an opinion though.

Things that were reinforced yesterday that are negatives - Schalk & Curran although both good at what they do shouldn't be played together (not as just a two up top anyway), we still need more squad depth on the wings and I still feel we're missing something in the middle of the park next to Lindsay. I don't dislike Chow, but just feel that he's a squad player only. I prefer Routis, but equally not sure he's the answer either.

We'd probably do ok as we are though if we got at least another winger in though and find a system that works with one of Morrison or Mikkelson playing alongside one of Curran or Schalk. That's what we need to try and work out against Montrose midweek I think. I'll be disappointed if Jim  plays Curran and Schalk together again.

In my opinion Gardyne won't see many games, Curran who I admire greatly good player,but injury must be on his mind, schalke ive always thought ordinary ,but I agree with your report there,
Do you think the assassin Draper would be good to have around midfield ,he can be moved anywhere 
Not many county players can ,
Plus wingers  where are the wingers

I thought we never really got out of third gear and Alloa were much better than expected, gave us a good runout. Very impressed with Lindsay even if he did tire in the second half, very aware of what's going on around him and kept his discipline well, Kelly looked solid enough.

(07-16-2017, 10:39 AM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Curran who I admire greatly good player,but injury must be on his mind, 

Second time you have brought this up, second time it is complete pish.

Curran's the sort of player who will pick up injuries, his competitive, combative streak that goes for everything is something we massively miss when he's not in the team but it does mean he'll take the occasional sore one.

(07-16-2017, 11:56 AM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Second time you have brought this up, second time it is complete pish.

If that is the way you give constructive response ,I'd rather you did not address me,my granddaughter who is ten reads this ,she has a season ticket and knows about the game ,
I'm concerned for Curran I saw the lad take a nasty one against Elgin ,and he was missed as he as I've said before is a buzz bomb ,when he went of options were not there ,but I'm entitled to my opinion if you don't mind and at least mine is just trying to be constructive  unlike your guttural none football reply 
To which you are akin to ,sadly

Bit precious Buff this is a football forum after all - however bearing in mind your relative reads this forum you may wish to refrain from calling Draper an assassin - my Collins dictionary states - assassin a hired murderer. Probably best to say Draper is pish.

Well, a much better start in the League cup than last year. Just remember what Alloa did that time...

Couldn't go as I'm offshore, just noticed that Jim Goodwin ( st mirren thug) is their manager, makes the win even better lol.

(07-16-2017, 09:03 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Couldn't go as I'm offshore, just noticed that Jim Goodwin ( st mirren thug) is their manager, makes the win even better lol.

In the first half especially, you could tell. A number of their players going in fairly clumsily on ours in a very Jim Goodwin-esque way.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(07-16-2017, 07:08 PM)Brown Savoy Wrote: Bit precious Buff this is a football forum after all - however bearing in mind your relative reads this forum you may wish to refrain from calling Draper an assassin - my Collins dictionary states - assassin a hired murderer.  Probably best to say Draper is pish.

Point taken and a good one. On my part my post was only football related  not belittling any poster 
And genuinely worried for Wee Curran whom I rate highly but yes you are quite right ,!! Don't throw stones if you live in glass houses ??????

(07-16-2017, 09:06 PM)Spain Wrote: In the first half especially, you could tell. A number of their players going in fairly clumsily on ours in a very Jim Goodwin-esque way.

Goodwin was never clumsy by accident, he always meant to go in the way he did. Absolute thug of a player.

Any highlights of this game?

(07-17-2017, 07:52 AM)Despot Wrote: Goodwin was never clumsy by accident, he always meant to go in the way he did. Absolute thug of a player.

Ain't that the truth?

I can remember him just about killing Ivan Sproule in one game, in particular.