Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
Development Squad 2016/2017
1-1 with Celtic today.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/12182

(03-03-2017, 09:03 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: 1-1 with Celtic today.

http://www.celticfc.net/news/12182

I was taken out in van to watch game soft penalty for Celtic ,that's us top to bibs with game in hand ,sad thing is even Celtic support we're chatting beside van with county supporters I asked the boys what they were saying. Lo and behold the young staggies nae chance , in other words sadly they will never be given the opportunity 
 Russel Dingwall very good young Robertson very good. Tony  kept it together looks fit ready for shipping out  that's tge reward for county players

(03-03-2017, 10:10 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: I was taken out in van to watch game soft penalty for Celtic ,that's us top to bibs with game in hand ,sad thing is even Celtic support we're chatting beside van with county supporters I asked the boys what they were saying. Lo and behold the young staggies nae chance , in other words sadly they will never be given the opportunity 
 Russel Dingwall very good young Robertson very good. Tony  kept it together looks fit ready for shipping out  that's tge reward for county players

Sorry I said ROBERTSON. WRONG Morrison I meant and load of tosh Celtic did not control game first half I'll,give the 20 minutes then county got to grips with them  it was an even Steven game a goal was going to settle it ,this is a good young county team --- point is is it all in vain but

[Image: cartoon-record-player-wavey-vinyl.gif]

Good result for the lads, really pleased to see Morrison score again, and always good to see the team continuing to push and get a late goal.  

Would be incredible if they actually win this!

(03-03-2017, 10:31 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: [Image: cartoon-record-player-wavey-vinyl.gif]

Good result for the lads, really pleased to see Morrison score again, and always good to see the team continuing to push and get a late goal.  

They deserve to win it now they played well,again today

It's great to see the young County team so high in the league. It's pretty tight up there and they all seem to be dropping points here and there so 1-1 with fellow challengers isn't a bad score line ☺

(03-03-2017, 10:31 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: [Image: cartoon-record-player-wavey-vinyl.gif]

Ha Ha Ha!  really liked this Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Apologies, my last post did not come through properly.

Question was!
Is this this Catchphrase?
Same old tune?
Like a broken record?

(03-04-2017, 06:24 PM)Harry Gow Pie Staggie Wrote: Apologies, my last post did not come through properly.

Question  was!
Is this this Catchphrase?
Same old tune?
Like a broken record?

Naw........ It's stop repeating yourself, it's becoming boring!  Tongue

1-0 win at home to Motherwell.

Not sure of team, other than Gobern was the only senior player involved.

Reported on Facebook page as:

Mark Foden, Reghan Tumilty, Blair Malcolm, Sam Morrison, Matthew Hall, Russell Dingwall, Davis Keillor-Dunn, Dylan Dykes, Greg Morrison, Ross Maciver, Oscar Gobern

Subs
Ross Munro, James Wallace, David Brownlie

Cheers!

(03-07-2017, 09:02 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: 1-0 win at home to Motherwell.

Who is the Gudgie with the hair (number 11?) got a look of the Fellaini about him!!  Also No 7 is strangely Gardynesq

Anyone know the Hibs result, are we top??

(03-07-2017, 09:43 PM)wemyss77 Wrote: Who is the Gudgie with the hair (number 11?) got a look of the Fellaini about him!!  Also No 7 is strangely Gardynesq

Anyone know the Hibs result, are we top??

11 is Oscar Gobern, I think 7 is Davis Keillor-Dunn.

Hibs won 2-1 i'm afraid, so they're top for now.

(03-07-2017, 09:02 PM)staggie1746 Wrote: 1-0 win at home to Motherwell.

Another great win for the young staggies  Big Grin

(03-07-2017, 11:24 PM)frankthetank Wrote: Another great win for the young staggies  Big Grin

I really enjoyed that thank you youth needs the chance

It was staggie1746 who put up the clip, I just replied to their message. I enjoyed it too though.

Yep really enjoyed watching the highlights with my son. I have never been to a development game and really hope one of the next times I am home there is one on.

Not sure if many will be able to answer this, but what has been the key to our success this season?

We seem to have brought in some good youngsters, and those already on the books seem to have developed further, but are they just looking more organised now?
More motivated?
Are we better set up tactically, with Ketts and Ferguson looking to manipulate the team dependent upon the opposition?

Is born of an interest in the u20s, but also with a view to how capable Ketts (and potentially Fergie) would be to step up to the first team.

I haven't been to any development squad games this season, but from the outside looking in, I think there are a number of reasons.

It boils down to us now taking it seriously.  The youth set-up was largely ignored under the Adams regime, with resources being prioritised on the first team squad.  After Derek and George left, the club hierarchy decided to take more of a lead in youth development.  Steven Ferguson is highly qualified and overseeing the whole set-up, with Ketts helping and managing the U20s.  They're being allowed the time and space to do it properly.

It helps that we've been actively signing kids from other teams.  Last summer, players arrived from Rangers and Dundee Utd.  Admittedly, these guys may well have been getting released anyway, but it's notable that we're going out and investing in bringing young players to the Highlands, rather than just relying on those coming through our own system like in the past.

We also haven't sent vast swathes of our youth players out on loan.  Most of them are still training with the club week in, week out.  This allows a settled squad that can focus on playing well together.  Other clubs put more players out on loan with the U20 squad being more of an afterthought.  There are obvious geographic factors here, but it's another sign we're taking it seriously.

Finally, in my eyes, there's a less positive reason too.  How many of them are getting a chance in the first team?  None, really.  We've seen Morrison and Tumilty on occasion but that's about it.  A lot of us thought Chris McLaughlin would break through after a promising end to last season, but then we signed van der Weg.  Whether McIntyre doesn't think they're ready, or just isn't prepared to gamble on youth considering the risks of failure, I couldn't say.  I don't have the stats to hand, but I'm pretty sure the average age of our starting XIs must be one of the highest in the league.  If the manager had a smaller budget then he would be forced to play more of the U20s in the first team.  Therefore, fewer of them would be starring regularly in the development league.  It might be out of necessity, but other clubs seem to promote their young talent at an earlier stage of development, meaning their overall performance in the development league is less than it might have been.

As to the long term prospects of Fergie and Ketts, I have no idea where their ambitions lie.  Fergie holds the UEFA Pro License, I believe, which makes him eminently qualified.  My understanding is he oversees the whole set-up and Ketts does the day-to-day management of the U20s, so perhaps the latter is the more obvious choice to step-up.  I'd love to see that one day, but only when he's ready and definitely the best man for the job.  Promoting him too soon for emotional and/or financial reasons could be disastrous.  Maybe one or both of them are ready now, but I'd hope the club would properly think about whoever takes over from McIntyre whenever he eventually moves on.