Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Poll: What do you think of the new Challenge Cup format?
This poll is closed.
Good idea
60.00%
27 60.00%
Bad idea
40.00%
18 40.00%
Total 45 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ross County U20s in 2016/17 Challenge Cup
Hamilton Accies appear to have pre-empted an official announcement by posting on Twitter that Premiership U20 sides will compete in next season's Challenge Cup.

Quote:Hamilton Accies FC @acciesfc 44 minutes ago
Premiership u20 sides will take part in the Challenge Cup this season

Seems a fairly pointless idea IMO, and it does a disservice to the lower leagues if the final ends up being Celtic U20s v Rangers U20s.  That said, it'll be interesting to see how our U20s get on.  I'd certainly make more of an effort to go than I do for normal U20 games.

I could also see one or two team's U20s taking a pasting off the likes of Hibs and Falkirk.

And now STV are reporting that the champions and runners-up of the Welsh and Northern Irish leagues will join the competition at the fourth round stage.

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1356801-nor...lenge-cup/

I'm looking forward to Bala Town away...

They are two interesting changes to the Challenge Cup, both aspects will certainly create more interest around it.

Some cool changes, like those. It is safe to say we need a bit more interest in some of these competitions.

The SPFL are complete idiots.

In general or for trying something new?

Introducing u20s teams into the competition is a dreadful idea.

Welsh and N.Irish teams isn't a terrible idea (some form of Celtic Nations Cup for the dregs of the SPFL) but this doesn't seem to have been well thought out.

I quite like the changes too. It's amusing, if nothing else, to see people react with such bewilderment.

I'm not quite sure how it's going to work, but it's certainly progressive.

I'm not sure how it will work either but it's definitely worth a try. It will create interest and will give under 20 teams some competitive games. It may fall flat on its face, but it's good to see something happening outside the Premiership that could help develop younger players.

I've added a poll to the thread to get a proper sense of how County fans feel about the revamped competition.  The posters on Pie & Bovril seem almost unified in their utter condemnation of it.  I quite like it though.  I think it'll be interesting.

You can read the SPFL press release here.

They are trying something new folk need to give them a break Smile

Highland league teams involved now too.

It is going to make for a very interesting competition which we have had no interest in this last few year. Can only be good.

I don't think there was anything wrong with it as it was, should leave it for the lower 3 divisions.
Remember the 4 finals and the 2 wins when we were in the diddy leagues, good times and highlights of those respective seasons probably.
If I was in Div1,2,3 and this was announced that Premiership U20/Colt/Reserve teams were to join in, I'd be pretty pissed off. Welsh and NI teams joining in is bizarre.

That said, I'll probably go along to any home games next season, presuming the KO times are decent and the cost reasonable.

Well true enough I am thinking about this from a RCFC point of view now, but good point if we were still in the lower divisions. It does make for a much more interesting competition though. Hopefully the U20's will get a game in Ireland and I could attend a game without a marathon journey Smile

(06-09-2016, 11:56 AM)I\m Ywemyss77 Wrote: Well true enough I am thinking about this from a RCFC point of view now, but good point if we were still in the lower divisions.  It does make for a much more interesting competition though.  Hopefully the U20's will get a game in Ireland and I could attend a game without a marathon journey Smile

Last thing the club will want, paying out to get a squad over and back for what is in essence a pointless competition.

Getting the Highland League clubs and Under 20s involved is a good idea. Although, speaking with a boy who plays in the Highland League, he says that except for Rangers and Celtic, all the other Under 20 teams are normally well beaten by Highland League teams. Will hopefully improve the quality of Under 20s within Scotland.

The inclusion of teams from Wales and N.Ireland to the Scottish Challenge Cup is a ridiculous idea though.

(06-09-2016, 02:16 PM)LauchlansLeftBoot Wrote: Last thing the club will want, paying out to get a squad over and back for what is in essence a pointless competition.

I guess, when you're philosophical about it, all football competitions are ultimately pointless.

Utterly ludicrous idea and is just going to be used as a vehicle to get U20/colt/reserve teams into the league setup at some point in the future.

More highland/lowland league teams being involved makes some sense, but Welsh and N Irish teams (and the aforementioned U20s), why?

Just because something is different, doesn't mean it is a good idea.

That's the way I see it. It's just an underhand tactic at softening the blow the next time they try to get Colt teams into the league setup. It's a slippery slope.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

Irn-Bru have been announced as the title sponsor of the IRN-BRU Cup.

http://spfl.co.uk/news/article/irn-bru-a...lenge-cup/

That's quite handy. Saves them having to name it something else  Angel
.: Ours, is the Fury :.