Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rugby World Cup 2015
I'm something of a lapsed rugby fan - I played when I was younger, but only really bother watching it when it's the Six Nations or the World Cup.  However, I'm really enjoying the Rugby World Cup so far.

Scotland are doing quite well, which makes a change for those of us more used to watching us fail to even qualify in the football.  After hesitant first halves against Japan and USA we turned on the style in the second half to put five tries past each.  We're top of our group with 10 points, three ahead of South Africa who lost in dramatic fashion against Japan in their opening game.

Our two remaining games will be much tougher.  We're playing South Africa at 16:45 this coming Saturday, so I'll be dashing back in to the Staggies Bar once the full time whistle goes against ICT!  The Springboks bounced back by fairly hammering Samoa 46-6 at the weekend and will be a difficult opponent.  Not many will fancy us to win that but we can give them a good game, and even if we do lose, hopefully we can secure a losing bonus point.

The final game against Samoa in Newcastle will likely be crucial.  I'm heading down to that, and assuming they beat Japan in their next game, we lose to South Africa and South Africa beat USA, then the winner of this will qualify in second place.  However, if we beat South Africa or Japan beat Samoa then it becomes much less important.

England also managed to lose to Wales, so they face the very real possibility of being knocked out in the group stages of their own tournament.  Which might be bad for the overall atmosphere of the tournament, but it's hilarious for most of us.

So, has anyone else gotten caught up in the excitement of the Rugby World Cup?  Or is everyone just going to reply saying "It's got nothing to do with Ross County so I don't care.  Why are you posting about it?"?

So not much OTB interest in the Rugby World Cup then?!

Scotland vs Samoa this Saturday.  Samoa, surprisingly, were thumped by Japan at the weekend so they have nothing but pride to play for against us.  It's a straightforward equation for Scotland.  Win and we're through.  Lose and, assuming Japan beat the USA (which they will), we're out.

I'm heading down for it on Saturday morning.  Can't wait!

Yeah I've been enjoying it, played rugby in Alness Academy without fully understanding the rules and I still don't!
Enjoy the 6 nations and the World Cup but that's about it.
Being based down south every week England's elimination is frankly hilarious and suddenly none of them care about it any more.

Tough game for Scotland on Saturday, our discipline seems much improved ie not giving away so many pens, so hopeful of a result.

(10-07-2015, 02:01 PM)Forfinn Wrote: So not much OTB interest in the Rugby World Cup then?!

Scotland vs Samoa this Saturday.  Samoa, surprisingly, were thumped by Japan at the weekend so they have nothing but pride to play for against us.  It's a straightforward equation for Scotland.  Win and we're through.  Lose and, assuming Japan beat the USA (which they will), we're out.

I'm heading down for it on Saturday morning.  Can't wait!

Not quite that straight forward is it...?

If we lose by less than 7 points despite scoring 4 or more tries, we get 2 bonus points putting us on 12. If Japan win but with less than 4 tries, they only get 4 points also putting them on 12.
In that scenario we go through on our head to head record.

I think anyway!
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(10-07-2015, 08:28 PM)Spain Wrote: Not quite that straight forward is it...?

If we lose by less than 7 points despite scoring 4 or more tries, we get 2 bonus points putting us on 12. If Japan win but with less than 4 tries, they only get 4 points also putting them on 12.
In that scenario we go through on our head to head record.

I think anyway!

You are indeed, right.  Let's avoid any doubt and just win the game though, yeah?

Namibia v Georgia was something else! not much rugby played but pretty exciting all the same. Looking forward to the All Blacks v Tonga tomorrow night before the big game on Sat.

Absolutely gutted after that, massive underdogs but what an effort.
Not often you get such refereeing controversy in Rugby.

Hope Argentina win it now.

Cruel end to one of the best Scotland performances I've seen in years, I honestly thought we had it. The way the ref sloped off at the end was very telling, he knew he'd robbed us!

Went through every emotion in that game. Thought it was gone in the second when we got the yellow then thought we had it after the last try. Truly gutted at FT but what a performance. Will we ever be as close again. Hope we can now push on from this. Best showing from the 5 nation teams I would say.

Sorry 6