Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 18 Votes - 2 Average
Former Players & Managers
Stelious is still without a club after leaving macclesfield town at close of window.

Bet he regrets leaving us now in the manner he did. Maybe clubs are scared off. He was quality tho

Nice article in the p and j with Schalk.

County hero relived historic strike while celebrating cup win with nearest and dearest
by Andy Skinner
October 14, 2019, 6:00 am
© DC ThomsonRoss County Alex Schalk scoring the winning goal in the final of the League Cup in March 2016

Picture by KENNY ELRICK
Ross County Alex Schalk scoring the winning goal in the final of the League Cup in March 2016 Picture by KENNY ELRICK
Time off for tradespeople
Time off for tradespeople
There's an argument that taking a day could earn you more money in the future Learn More
Promoted by Checkatrade
Opt out of Adyoulike ad targeting
Alex Schalk was afforded the opportunity to relive his moment of League Cup final glory in the company of his family just hours after his momentous strike.

The Dutchman came up with the late goal to defeat Hibs 2-1 in the 2016 final at Hampden Park, securing the Staggies’ first major silverware.

The forward, who had joined the Staggies earlier that season in his first move outwith Holland, celebrated the victory with a large group of family and friends who had travelled from his homeland.

After their high spirits caught the eye of a waiter in a Glasgow restaurant, highlights of Schalk’s winner happened to be replayed on a television screen, prompting a jubilant reaction from the Schalk party.

Schalk said: “I stayed in Glasgow because all my family had booked hotels – I had about 16 people over.

“I celebrated with my family – we went for dinner at a Spanish tapas bar. The waiter came up to me and asked if we were celebrating something, as it was obviously a big table and my family was drinking, so they were loud.

“One of my friends turned around to the television and told the waiter to watch as the highlights of the final were on the screen at that moment.

“He saw me scoring the winning goal so he gave us a bottle of champagne for free.

“That was a great night.”

Schalk left County in 2018 to join Swiss outfit Servette, who he helped guide to promotion to the top flight last season.

© SNS
Ross County’s Alex Schalk celebrates with the trophy in 2016
The 26-year-old still regards his close-range cup final winner for the Staggies as the highlight of his career, adding: “Normally, I would never take my top off, but it was the winning goal in a cup final.

“County had about 8,000 people there which was fabulous, it was a great moment.

“I really felt the love that was missing at that point in my career – from the fans, the club and the manager.

“It was a great feeling and it still is – it will never go away. It is the best moment in my career so far. On first-team level it was my first silverware.”

Schalk’s goal came only months after he had joined County following his departure from hometown club NAC Breda, and the former Dutch under-21 internationalist admits it took him time to adapt to Scottish football after Jim McIntyre had persuaded him to make the move.

He added: “I had a difficult start. I was in Holland and I wasn’t playing, and when I was playing it was on the left wing which is not really me. I terminated my contract in Holland and went looking for another club, and McIntyre gave me a chance to come in.

“From December, I started playing, and it came together in the second half of the season, with the semi-final, the final and reaching the top six.

“When we beat Celtic 3-1 in the semi final, it was already a highlight – maybe my best game for County. Every tactical plan we went over just worked out – it was like a puzzle that all came together.

“The final wasn’t a great game. I don’t think anybody was playing really good, so it was just all about character – that’s one thing I really learned in Scotland.

“There was obviously the highlight of scoring the winner in the last seconds of the game.”

I see Harry soutar has chosen to play for Australia, the country of his mothers birth and scored 4 times in his first 2 appearances, well done to him, thought he was a fantastic prospect during his short time with us.

Noted Liam Boyce scoring for Burton against Leicester tonight.

(10-16-2019, 09:58 AM)westhillstaggie Wrote: I see Harry soutar has chosen to play for Australia, the country of his mothers birth and scored 4 times in his first 2 appearances, well done to him, thought he was a fantastic prospect during his short time with us.

Thought he had talent but was very raw and throwing into that defence didn't help one bit. Admittedly goals against Chinese Taipei and Nepal isn't saying too much I think.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

Both Dingwalls in action in the Challenge cup tonight.

Tony's Raith getting the better of it, 3-2 up.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

Owen Coyle is currently one of the favourites to take over at Falkirk.

Did they watch any of his games in charge of County?
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

(11-17-2019, 02:40 PM)Despot Wrote: Owen Coyle is currently one of the favourites to take over at Falkirk.

Did they watch any of his games in charge of County?

Can only assume they watched the first half of the home 3-2 win over Motherwell and the 4-1 game at Dundee. Mental choice.

I see that Kyle Mcleod is Leaving Brora Rangers for Buckie Thistle.
Born a highlander always a highlander.Smile

See Owen Coyle is back in management. Been unveiled at Chennaiyin in Indian Super League

(12-03-2019, 09:51 PM)mike_lowrie Wrote: See Owen Coyle is back in management. Been unveiled at Chennaiyin in Indian Super League

Maybe found his level.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

(12-04-2019, 09:41 AM)Despot Wrote: Maybe found his level.

Not far enough East for him !!!!

Ross MacIver scored for Motherwell

Hearts looking to sign Liam Boyce, don't want to be facing him in our next league match.

(01-01-2020, 02:43 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Hearts looking to sign Liam Boyce, don't want to be facing him in our next league match.

Nightmare..

Bit of step down for him surely though??

Cant see this happening as playing regular (and scoring) for Burton and NI. That surely would be a step down. I would think he would so an ‘Irvine’ and step up to a Championship club.

Now the window open would like to see any County signing to be in pronto and not at end of month

Don't think Hearts would have the money to get Boyce, Burton would be looking at £1m+ at least for him.
She never meant to call,
She did anyway

Despot Wrote:Don't think Hearts would have the money to get Boyce, Burton would be looking at £1m+ at least for him.

I am told Hearts will have to offload some players before more come in.

(01-01-2020, 07:47 PM)the reaper Wrote: I am told Hearts will have to offload some players before more come in.

Nigel Clough is quoted as saying they will listen to Hearts if Boyce is not going to sign a new contract, as he is out of contract in the summer.

(01-02-2020, 11:24 AM)tattiedave Wrote: Nigel Clough is quoted as saying they will listen to Hearts if Boyce is not going to sign a new contract, as he is out of contract in the summer.
True but they apparently need to reduce the wage bill.