Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Votes - 2.21 Average
Former Players & Managers
(05-07-2018, 08:27 PM)westhillstaggie Wrote: Was mikkelson released or is he still on loan?
If he's still a county employee and we're lucky enough to make the play off spot, can he play against us if Utd go through,?
Cant imagine anyone at the club would have looked this far ahead or thought this situation was a possibility.

On loan.

And as for your 2nd query I dont know.

(05-07-2018, 10:51 PM)mike_lowrie Wrote: On loan.

And as for your 2nd query I dont know.

A loan player cannot play against his parent club in Scotland.

Mikkelsen was signed on a 2yr deal, so still has a season left.

Rafa the sexy beast, is still producing the goods for Livi I see, maybe get to see him again at Viccy Park if we can scrape it into the playoffs.

Interesting comments from a Blackburn player on Coyle (well spotted Vander).

https://twitter.com/Rover_Gem/status/993543935451688960

Billy doing a bang average job commentating on the Scottish cup final, not the most engaging or informative.

Derek Adams has signed a new 5 year deal with us, delighted as there were rumours of Ipswich and others sniffing around. Feel like he's really in it for the long haul, he's been given complete control of all things football by the board and he's building the club the way he wants to, and very successfully, we've just finished 7th in our first season in League 1 with a bottom 4 budget.

Roy talking to Graham Speirs in the Times here, but not willing to expand on Coyle.

You have to subscribe but it's free.

‘Would I change my decision about sacking Jim and Billy? Probably not’
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotl...-_-TWITTER

(05-25-2018, 09:11 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: Roy talking to Graham Speirs in the Times here, but not willing to expand on Coyle.

You have to subscribe but it's free.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotl...-_-TWITTER

Here's it copied and pasted if you don't want to subscribe.

Ready for more? Get unlimited access by subscribing for £1 a week for 8 weeks.

FOOTBALL
Roy MacGregor, chairman of relegated Ross County, tells Graham Spiers he stands by his judgment

Graham Spiers
May 24 2018, 12:01am,
The Times

Football
Stuart Kettlewell, Ross County’s co-manager, tries to console his players
Stuart Kettlewell, Ross County’s co-manager, tries to console his players
SNS
Save
It didn’t quite go to plan for Roy MacGregor this season. The Ross County chairman is one of Scotland’s richest and most successful businessmen but the past nine months have reminded him again that nobody is immune to failure.

With his beloved County relegated, MacGregor has been left to face the flak over his steering of his club, and in particular his decision last September to sack Jim McIntyre and Billy Dodds. At MacGregor’s own doing, Owen Coyle arrived as manager, but County would only cement themselves as classic relegation fodder. And so it transpired.

Before MacGregor explained himself to me, he wanted to paint a wider picture, one which springs from his own Black Isle childhood and lifelong support of his football club.

“I’m in football and in business because I believe in the Highlands,” he says. “This is a part of the world — in sport, in business, in everything — that has not been given a fair shout. From the Clearances onwards this has been the case. This region has had a raw deal.

“I was originally told: you cannot have a successful business which is HQ’d in the Highlands. I was told there wasn’t enough talent here. Well, my business is HQ’d up here and we now have 4,000 employees around the world.

“The Highlander has a unique character, in that he quite often doesn’t believe in himself. We live in a remote area and we often don’t get given much credibility. So I always wanted to give something back to my community by way of opportunity, in business and football.”

In this context MacGregor didn’t just impressively build up his Global Energy group, which last year once more turned over in excess of £300 million, but also became the driving force behind Ross County’s rise from humble Highland League club to trophy winners in Scotland’s top flight. It was a meteoric rise which has suddenly, this season, suffered a jolt.

“We had a cause at this club,” says MacGregor. “We were a Highland League team and we made the journey to the top flight in Scottish football. We had success and won a national cup. But, somewhere along the way, we lost that cause, it got diminished in some way.

“I think we have to go back and find our roots and our culture again, because that is what drove us on in those years. Does success bring complacency? Yes, maybe.”

Or, what about flawed decision-making? There is no absolute right or wrong in this but MacGregor has been on the receiving end for sacking McIntyre and Dodds, who had saved the club’s top-flight skin when they first arrived in 2014, went on to win the 2016 League Cup, and secured the club a top-six finish and a seventh-placed finish. As McIntyre himself asked: “What more could be expected of us at Ross County?”

MacGregor admits that the sacking of McIntyre and Dodds pains him but he is not for backing down.

“Did I let Jim and Billy go too early? Maybe. I have tried to reflect on that. Certainly, Ross County having three managers in a year does not look clever, I have to accept that.

“But would I change my decision about [sacking] Jim and Billy now? Probably not.

“Our league form had been a struggle for some time, it had not been good. And the decision to release Jim and Billy wasn’t just me, it took on board the feelings of fans, the feelings of the directors.

“Was it the right decision? Yes, I would still go with that decision today.

“We had tried to invest more in the team. We used more of the money we got for Liam Boyce and tried to give Jim more of a budget to work with. But it didn’t work. We didn’t move forward, the team didn’t react. Was it about recruitment, or about trying to gell the players? I don’t know, but there wasn’t the reaction we hoped for.”

It did seem, though, an extremely early shout by MacGregor at the time. He sacked his management team on September 28 after just seven games of the new Ladbrokes Premiership season. County had actually won their opener away to Dundee but then went on to draw one and lose five, including defeats to Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hibs. Many thought it extremely harsh on McIntyre and Dodds.

“But it wasn’t just the league games, there was also our failure in the League Cup,” says MacGregor. “We felt we should have done better [County lost to Motherwell after extra time in the second round]. So we were looking at about 12 games in total since the start of this season. We just felt the team wasn’t moving forward. Was that the manager’s fault? Or the club’s fault? Or had we lost the Ross County way? Whatever it was, it wasn’t happening.

“In life you have to make these judgments. And they may be right or they may be wrong.”

With his management team of three years binned, MacGregor then made a bold move in luring Owen Coyle to take over at County. At the time, as unjust as many thought his previous action to be, MacGregor was applauded for his boldness in securing Coyle. But the move failed spectacularly.

McIntyre: ‘we have to get back to our roots’
McIntyre: ‘we have to get back to our roots’
SNS
“I know Owen, he is a friend,” says MacGregor. “That fact alone now makes me query whether it was the right business decision. But I thought it was a coup — like many — when Owen came in. He had been in the top flight in England. I had looked at his success and his lack of success in the past. I spoke to various people about Owen. I genuinely believed he was a great man-manager who would bring us improvement.”

Coyle won three and drew one of his opening six games in charge. The change looked to be working. But then County hit a slippery slope.

“It didn’t work out,” says MacGregor. “I know why but I don’t want to talk about that here.

“There was a brief kick-on from Owen’s arrival but it didn’t last. I deeply regret that. So the club now has to rediscover its roots and go again.”

Steven Ferguson and Stuart Kettlewell are the men charged with bringing County back up to the top flight at the first attempt. MacGregor reinforces that it will happen only if his little club reclaims its values.

“We have to get back to our roots. We have to discover our culture, what it was that made us rise in the first place. Also, you cannot think that you are better than you are. Look at the Hibs and Dundee United experiences — they have suffered relegation recently and struggled to get out of the Championship. If we don’t adjust at Ross County, we won’t come back.”

(05-25-2018, 10:00 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: “It didn’t work out,” says MacGregor. “I know why but I don’t want to talk about that here.

He’ll never talk about it in public if the rumours are true.

Also thanks for pasting that in.

(05-25-2018, 10:23 PM)Iker Wrote: He’ll never talk about it in public if the rumours are true.

Also thanks for pasting that in.

Rumours?? Now I'm intrigued.

(05-26-2018, 08:03 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: Rumours?? Now I'm intrigued.

[Removed a libellous statement thanks to Savage Henry QC.]

You do realise that “apparently “ doesn’t cover you from making libellous statements? Especially when there was nothing apparent about it. I’m

If someone gets sued for their comments on this forum I would be genuinely impressed.

(05-26-2018, 01:24 PM)NVACA Wrote: If someone gets sued for their comments on this forum I would be genuinely impressed.

Perhaps, but the internet isn’t a free for all. It would have been removed as soon as a mod saw it. Just saving them a job.

Kenny Van Der Weg released by Hamilton. Gary Irvine released by St Mirren

(05-26-2018, 12:33 PM)Iker Wrote: [Removed a libellous statement thanks to Savage Henry QC.]

Damn, wish I'd seen it before you removed it. Anyone want to PM me? Or is that also libelous?

Neale Cooper appears to be in a bad way in hospital.

Found at Aberdeen home.

Ex-footballer Neale Cooper in critical condition http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-no...d-44278758

BBC reporting Neale Cooper is in a serious condition in hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n...d-44278758

BBC’s ‘Scottish gossip’ reckons Jim is part of the conversation around who’s going to replace Jack Ross at St Mirren