Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 32 Votes - 2.97 Average
Speculation thread
(03-14-2019, 07:44 PM)jamiepscot Wrote: Callum Semple in a spot of bother for betting on matches.

Not speculation but there's not really a thread for this sort of thing. Maybe someone can speculate on what games he's, allegedly, bet on!

https://www.ross-shirejournal.co.uk/spor...es-175755/

its a crap rule as long as a player is not betting on his own teams result what harm is it doing apart from infringing on his or her civil liberties

(03-15-2019, 11:22 AM)county AML Wrote: its a crap rule as long as a player is not betting on his own teams result what harm is it doing apart from infringing on his or her civil liberties

I suppose it's the same as insider trading on the stocks and shares. As a football player you're connected through ex teammates/coaches and as a result have an advantage through being in the know!
Ian Black, formerly a caley ar$e, only got a 7game ban for it, and he was found guilty of betting on his own teams on several occasions!
If football players want a flutter they can bet on horses, tennis, rugby etc,
I think the rule is fair enough.

(03-15-2019, 11:22 AM)county AML Wrote: its a crap rule as long as a player is not betting on his own teams result what harm is it doing apart from infringing on his or her civil liberties

Its the thin end of the wedge of though isnt it. This day and age you can bet on literally anything.....How easy would be to say to your mate at another team to get a yellow card in the first 10 minutes after HT, wee £100 in-play bet. Sorted. I'm sure it happens all the time.

(03-15-2019, 12:07 PM)Pete The Jakey Wrote: Its the thin end of the wedge of though isnt it. This day and age you can bet on literally anything.....How easy would be to say to your mate at another team to get a yellow card in the first 10 minutes after HT, wee £100 in-play bet. Sorted. I'm sure it happens all the time.

Footballers aren't generally known for their smarts, I know terrible generalisation, but they could get their m8 to open an online account for them and use that. Alternatively, they could just give them the money and ask them to put a bet on for them. That probably never happens I'm sure...............
The rule is correct, but could easily be circumvented with some thought.

The rule is the rule- it's well-publicised, there's absolutely no excuse for not knowing it (of course, if the lad has a genuine problem, then he needs help rather than castigation)
As others have alluded to, one of the reasons the rule is in place is to prevent players exploiting inside information and the potential for spot-fixing. Anything other than the current blanket ban would require the SFA to make a judgement call on every single bet to determine if there was a risk of market manipulation through the exchange of inside information- they simply don't have the resources to do that
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013