Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 26 Votes - 3.23 Average
Speculation thread
(09-07-2017, 09:46 PM)Brown Savoy Wrote: The standard of this league continues to decline 

I'd say the exact opposite is true, the league is undoubtedly stronger this season!

How do you justify posting such ****  Dodgy

(09-07-2017, 10:09 PM)frankthetank Wrote: I'd say the exact opposite is true, the league is undoubtedly stronger this season!

How do you justify posting such ****  Dodgy

I agree - the top six is probably settled already with Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & St Johnstone. It'll be really, really tough for us to break into that from now on.

Of the top six clubs detailed above three were recently eliminated from European Competitions by representatives from Cyprus, Lithuania and a part time outfit from Luxembourg. The latter being particularly interesting when assessing form - they were eliminated themselves in the next round. However for a club that were placed fourth in their national league in 2016/2017 season they managed to produce their first win in Europe at the fourteenth attempt - last season they were knocked out by Shamrock Rovers - another useful indication of form.
Celtic apart most of the other teams are much of a muchness - ie they can all beat each other. So what is needed is the ability of the coach to assemble a reasonable squad that can keep the club in the top six. St Johnstone are probably the best example of this achieving a good position on a modest budget - all down to the coach ?
I am unable to fathom out McIntyres recruitment policy - do we scout players or just rely on agents to push a few names our way. Would like to see details of how much clubs in this league paid agents last season - for instance in season 2016/2017 Burton Albion paid out £163,000 in agents fees - anyone know if this included negotiations for the Jackson Irvine transfer.

(09-07-2017, 10:34 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: I agree - the top six is probably settled already with Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs & St Johnstone. It'll be really, really tough for us to break into that from now on.

Got to agree, SPL is the strongest it has been in years.

We have our strongest ever squad which should result in a top six finish in a 'strong' SPL. Any injuries/suspensions to our first choice players and we have our championship-winning development squad to step-in. Nothing can go wrong ... can it?

(09-08-2017, 04:02 PM)Deke Slayton Wrote: We have our strongest ever squad which should result in a top six finish in a 'strong' SPL. Any injuries/suspensions to our first choice players and we have our championship-winning development squad to step-in. Nothing can go wrong ... can it?

Debatable.

Are there any centre half free agents available other than Brian MacLean
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(09-09-2017, 07:12 PM)gudgie67 Wrote: Are there any centre half free agents available  other than Brian MacLean

Don't know about that but I do know  there are no gudgies in Dingwall ,yes maybe in Muir of ord. but the Dingwall !!cant !! From dot 1 Spoken Dingwall,Gadgie  or gadgie coff  not a gudgie in sight , big joe Yates. Donnie etack  will be turning in the grave  Roost. Bandy. Kenny cushnie  peter cats all old gadgies who spoke the !!! Cant!! Some words of which baffles me  to this day  pint for first guy who answered what a smeesh is lol
On centre backs  Fraser is ready to wear that mantle  getting someone beside him is the problem   ,  can Draper be used as a defending centre back ,I honestly can't say ,sincerely hope everything goes well fir county but a familiar pattern is emerging again , what can we do guys opinions are valuable

Think it's an awful lot to expect Fraser to do a world class job at centre half with no support other than a crocked Davies.

(09-09-2017, 09:51 PM)Despot Wrote: Think it's an awful lot to expect Fraser to do a world class job at centre half with no support other than a crocked Davies.

Aye Despot you could be right ,can Naismith be used in there  we shouldn't have been left  like this

Naismith is a big lad, but I'm not fully convinced he's aggressive enough to be a centre half. Kenny has the aggression but I'm not convinced his positioning is the best for the role.

(09-09-2017, 09:44 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Don't know about that but I do know  there are no gudgies in Dingwall ,yes maybe in Muir of ord. but the Dingwall !!cant !! From dot 1 Spoken Dingwall,Gadgie  or gadgie coff  not a gudgie in sight , big joe Yates. Donnie etack  will be turning in the grave  Roost. Bandy. Kenny cushnie  peter cats all old gadgies who spoke the !!! Cant!! Some words of which baffles me  to this day  pint for first guy who answered what a smeesh is lol
On centre backs  Fraser is ready to wear that mantle  getting someone beside him is the problem   ,  can Draper be used as a defending centre back ,I honestly can't say ,sincerely hope everything goes well fir county but a familiar pattern is emerging again , what can we do guys opinions are valuable

I've heard of been "smeeked" , half cut/merry.
Anyway back to footie,how long is it going to be before Davies is going to be out injured for a while.Nearly every game he is struggling

(09-09-2017, 09:44 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Don't know about that but I do know  there are no gudgies in Dingwall ,yes maybe in Muir of ord. but the Dingwall !!cant !! From dot 1 Spoken Dingwall,Gadgie  or gadgie coff  not a gudgie in sight , big joe Yates. Donnie etack  will be turning in the grave  Roost. Bandy. Kenny cushnie  peter cats all old gadgies who spoke the !!! Cant!! Some words of which baffles me  to this day  pint for first guy who answered what a smeesh is lol
Muir of Ord it is buff not sure if spelling is your thing

Muir of Ord it is buff not sure if spelling is your thing.
Knew Donnie Ettack & Peter Cat very well.
Gudgie67 aka Gadgie67

(09-09-2017, 10:05 PM)Despot Wrote: Naismith is a big lad, but I'm not fully convinced he's aggressive enough to be a centre half. Kenny has the aggression but I'm not convinced his positioning is the best for the role.

Don't panic.  Last season Naismith partnered Fraser at central defence with Tumilty playing on the right for a game or two.  From memory my assessment was that these three with KVW was a very sound defence.  This could be the outcome if Davis is out for a while.  We need to think about life without Davis at some point anyway.  Time we saw Tumilty back in the team.

(09-10-2017, 01:16 PM)gudgie67 Wrote: Muir of Ord it is buff not sure if spelling is your thing

Muir of Ord it is buff not sure if spelling is your thing.
Knew Donnie Ettack & Peter Cat very well.

I think you should look you will see Spelling spot on. Not sure if you need  Glasses more than me, 
after all You most definitely have difficulty  spelling Gadgie  aye 
Now do we need a centre back a hard tackling midfielder  a big hard striker  Gadgie

Buff - check out Alexander Millar and his Gadgie paintings.

(09-10-2017, 01:56 PM)the reaper Wrote: Don't panic.  Last season Naismith partnered Fraser at central defence with Tumilty playing on the right for a game or two.  From memory my assessment was that these three with KVW was a very sound defence.  This could be the outcome if Davis is out for a while.  We need to think about life without Davis at some point anyway.  Time we saw Tumilty back in the team.

After singing his praise at the start of the season, I'm alarmed at just how poor Marcus Fraser looked yesterday.

Kelly looked a bit nervous and hesitant at times but to link well going forward with DKD. 
Naismith has been quieter and less of a dominant force on our right flank these last two matches but still steady and holding his own against the likes of Sammon, a very physical match up.

Davies does what Davies does, he throws himself at every high ball and wins about 90% of them when in defence (I always think he should score more goals from corners but he always gets blocked). I notice Davies seems to be coming short whenever an opposition striker drops deep, to me this makes sence as it leaves Fraser in behind him with the pace to act as a sweeper if Davies doesn't come out with the ball. 

It's Fraser's decision making when in possession, imo he either got caught on the ball as he couldn't make his mind up or he blootered it away, either straight to the opposition or out for a throw. He was responsible for giving away possession far more than any other player imo yesterday and just seemed to almost panic when on the ball.

What's our alternatives VDW, he's actually better than I thought he'd be at centre half but more a replacement for Davies than to play with Davies due to requiring a faster sweeper type beside him. Naismith in the middle could work well imo he's a bit raw at times but certainly big strong and quick but then who starts at rightback, is Tumilty ready or do we go 352?

(09-10-2017, 06:44 PM)frankthetank Wrote: After singing his praise at the start of the season, I'm alarmed at just how poor Marcus Fraser looked yesterday.

Kelly looked a bit nervous and hesitant at times but to link well going forward with DKD. 
Naismith has been quieter and less of a dominant force on our right flank these last two matches but still steady and holding his own against the likes of Sammon, a very physical match up.

Davies does what Davies does, he throws himself at every high ball and wins about 90% of them when in defence (I always think he should score more goals from corners but he always gets blocked). I notice Davies seems to be coming short whenever an opposition striker drops deep, to me this makes sence as it leaves Fraser in behind him with the pace to act as a sweeper if Davies doesn't come out with the ball. 

It's Fraser's decision making when in possession, imo he either got caught on the ball as he couldn't make his mind up or he blootered it away, either straight to the opposition or out for a throw. He was responsible for giving away possession far more than any other player imo yesterday and just seemed to almost panic when on the ball.

What's our alternatives VDW, he's actually better than I thought he'd be at centre half but more a replacement for Davies than to play with Davies due to requiring a faster sweeper type beside him. Naismith in the middle could work well imo he's a bit raw at times but certainly big strong and quick but then who starts at rightback, is Tumilty ready or do we go 352?

Frank, are you suggesting Fraser needs/should be dropped?

I hope you're not because he has been very consistent in there and has definitely improved this season. 
Definitely a CH and not a natural RB. 
This season he has covered a few of his fellow defenders ar#*s with last gasp challenges. He's quick and reads the game superbly. He's looked threatening when coming forward on the ball and on the whole his distribution from the back has also been decent, a lot better than some others.

As you can probably guess, I don't Fraser should be dropped  Wink

Saturday was a decent performance that lacked the finishing touch.........and a decent ref!

I thought Mackay looked good when he came on and him and Schalk look like they could play together, I'll be interested to see more of that combination!

Draper was behind the play in the 1st half but must have got a rocket at half time because his 2nd half performance was night and day. He was behind all the good play in the 2nd half. I hope 'that' Draper plays every week.

DKD and Midge have the ability to hurt teams and I don't understand why we don't get the ball to them more often. This diagonal ball up to the forwards to hold up/lay off doesn't appear to work well given the players we have so why do we persist??? Answers on a postcard.

Football's not that complicated. Find your passes, concentrate, supply the strikers with the ball and the big one........... take your chances. Schalk and Mackay showed me enough, in the time they were on the park, that given the opportunity they will score.

Come on the County!

New signings incoming??

http://www.thenational.scot/sport/155695...ss_County/

Owen Coyle given the go-ahead to bring new faces to Ross County

NEW Ross County manager Owen Coyle may be tempted to beef up his squad sooner rather than later.

Coyle took charge at Dingwall on Thursday after the surprise departure of Jim McIntyre and got his reign off to a dream start with a 2-0 win at Kilmarnock on Saturday.
However, the former Burnley manager is keen to add to his squad and will look to strengthen before the January window.
“Everyone has their own flavour of player, and my flavour is probably different from other managers
in what we like in a team,” he said. “So if we can look to add even between now and the window, with some free agents that I think can help us, then the chairman has intimated that he will certainly try and help me do that.
“But in the meantime it’s only fair that I give this group the chance in the coming month or so to see what they’re all about.”
That current group made a fine start to Coyle’s tenure.
Craig Curran and Kenny van der Weg on the scoresheet as the Staggies recorded their first win since the opening day of the season.
Coyle will now have two weeks to work with the players as the Ladbrokes Premiershiptakes a break for international fixtures, and he is looking forward to getting to know his squad.
He said: “Had we won, drawn or lost the game it doesn’t change the programme I have, because the international break is important to us.
“It’s valuable time to work with the players on a daily basis and get to know them as characters.”

So where could he be looking to strengthen?

(10-02-2017, 07:08 PM)lol frankthetank Wrote: New signings incoming??

http://www.thenational.scot/sport/155695...ss_County/

Owen Coyle given the go-ahead to bring new faces to Ross County

NEW Ross County manager Owen Coyle may be tempted to beef up his squad sooner rather than later.

Coyle took charge at Dingwall on Thursday after the surprise departure of Jim McIntyre and got his reign off to a dream start with a 2-0 win at Kilmarnock on Saturday.
However, the former Burnley manager is keen to add to his squad and will look to strengthen before the January window.
“Everyone has their own flavour of player, and my flavour is probably different from other managers
in what we like in a team,” he said. “So if we can look to add even between now and the window, with some free agents that I think can help us, then the chairman has intimated that he will certainly try and help me do that.
“But in the meantime it’s only fair that I give this group the chance in the coming month or so to see what they’re all about.”
That current group made a fine start to Coyle’s tenure.
Craig Curran and Kenny van der Weg on the scoresheet as the Staggies recorded their first win since the opening day of the season.
Coyle will now have two weeks to work with the players as the Ladbrokes Premiershiptakes a break for international fixtures, and he is looking forward to getting to know his squad.
He said: “Had we won, drawn or lost the game it doesn’t change the programme I have, because the international break is important to us.
“It’s valuable time to work with the players on a daily basis and get to know them as characters.”

So where could he be looking to strengthen?

Wingers! For the love of god, wingers!!! I think we have a real gem in DKD, and Gardyne is a tireless grafter, but beyond them I'm really not sure about our quality out wide. Tumilty looked really out of place in Jims final game and Dow has been unconvincing at best. A bit more depth out wide and maybe another centre half and I'll be happy.