Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Central Staggies Need YOU
Thumbs Up 
Back in 2012 some County fans based in the Central Belt got together and formed the Central Staggies – a non-affiliated loose conglomerate of like-minded individuals. We arrange to meet up before away games (and the occasional jaunt up to Dingwall) and usually make a day of it.

In our experience the biggest problem with getting to County games when you first move away from the Highlands, be it for university, college or work, is that you don’t have anyone to go with. It held me back for years – it’s just not the same going to a match by yourself.

Whilst the Central Staggies are now well established and we’ve got a good core group of attendees, we thought we’d reach out to anyone who is tempted to try something a bit different by holding something of an open day. Motherwell away this Saturday is our biggest game of the season so far, so what better occasion to get as many Staggies together as possible?

We’re going to meet up in Glasgow at The Crystal Palace bar next to Central Station from 11:30 onwards. Unfortunately, there’s no trains to Motherwell running from Glasgow on Saturday and we don’t really fancy the replacement bus service. However, the added advantage of travelling in numbers is that we can share taxis. If we do that out to Motherwell just after 14:00 it should only take 20 mins and still work out about the same as the train fare each.

We’ll be easily visible in the pub for two reasons: there should be the standard Ross County gear on show, and there’s a suggestion that one or two of those who can’t make the official Hawaiian Day at Kilmarnock are going to go full Hawaiian on Saturday instead just for the fun of it (but don’t let that put you off!).

I appreciate it’s daunting walking up to a group of guys you don’t know, but please don’t be shy – we promise to be welcoming. Most of us didn’t know any of the others before we got involved and are all glad we took the plunge.

The demographic of the group (I think) ranges from late teens to mid-thirties and cover all walks of life, so as long as you’re allowed in a pub you’ll fit right in.

There’s no member list or fees or anything. It’s all very informal and future plans will be advertised on a combination of OTB, Twitter and Facebook. If you’ve got any questions, please feel to ask here or drop me a PM.

(04-28-2015, 12:05 PM)Forfinn Wrote: Back in 2012 some County fans based in the Central Belt got together and formed the Central Staggies – a non-affiliated loose conglomerate of like-minded individuals. We arrange to meet up before away games (and the occasional jaunt up to Dingwall) and usually make a day of it.

In our experience the biggest problem with getting to County games when you first move away from the Highlands, be it for university, college or work, is that you don’t have anyone to go with. It held me back for years – it’s just not the same going to a match by yourself.

Whilst the Central Staggies are now well established and we’ve got a good core group of attendees, we thought we’d reach out to anyone who is tempted to try something a bit different by holding something of an open day. Motherwell away this Saturday is our biggest game of the season so far, so what better occasion to get as many Staggies together as possible?

We’re going to meet up in Glasgow at The Crystal Palace bar next to Central Station from 11:30 onwards. Unfortunately, there’s no trains to Motherwell running from Glasgow on Saturday and we don’t really fancy the replacement bus service. However, the added advantage of travelling in numbers is that we can share taxis. If we do that out to Motherwell just after 14:00 it should only take 20 mins and still work out about the same as the train fare each.

We’ll be easily visible in the pub for two reasons: there should be the standard Ross County gear on show, and there’s a suggestion that one or two of those who can’t make the official Hawaiian Day at Kilmarnock are going to go full Hawaiian on Saturday instead just for the fun of it (but don’t let that put you off!).

I appreciate it’s daunting walking up to a group of guys you don’t know, but please don’t be shy – we promise to be welcoming. Most of us didn’t know any of the others before we got involved and are all glad we took the plunge.

The demographic of the group (I think) ranges from late teens to mid-thirties and cover all walks of life, so as long as you’re allowed in a pub you’ll fit right in.

There’s no member list or fees or anything. It’s all very informal and future plans will be advertised on a combination of OTB, Twitter and Facebook. If you’ve got any questions, please feel to ask here or drop me a PM.
Good for you for making your fellow staggies welcome I would be joining yous if I had moved away

Great work guys. If was in the Central belt I would be along in a flash!

Brilliant idea, good on ya's! Hope you get a good number of fellow staggies turning up!

Great bunch of guys ... I wish our supporters buses could link up with you lot more and have drinks in local public houses etc..... But that's another story ....

See you all at Motherwell !!!!

(04-28-2015, 12:05 PM)Forfinn Wrote: Back in 2012 some County fans based in the Central Belt got together and formed the Central Staggies – a non-affiliated loose conglomerate of like-minded individuals. We arrange to meet up before away games (and the occasional jaunt up to Dingwall) and usually make a day of it.

Brilliant.
Well done to each and everyone of you.
Just hope it, 3 points to County.
Come on County!

Nice one...I think I've briefly met some of you before at a Hearts game years ago..but not been to that many games this season. Will try and make this for pre-match pint. Smile

Hi mate, I've lived in Glasgow for last 18 years and would welcome meeting some staggies for pre match pints for games down here. Usually, if I go to away games it's on me tod and like you said, it just ain't the same, although I do usually bump into a few friends from my time as a jail end regular back in the 80s/90s. If I make it up to Victoria park, I generally go with the lads I stood on the terraces beside when we were the minnows in the highland league. I love a bit o banter and can hopefully catch up with you guys for some games in the future - unfortunately not for this "cup final" as I have to work. Make some noise today mate, this one is massive.

Cheers for the replies, folks. Currently on the train with the rest of the Edinburgh contingent. Shaping up to be a good day. Hopefully see katho today and elephant_stone another time.

Saturday was a cracking day out, a good result and an enjoyable evening in the Park Bar afterwards!

It was nice to see some new faces and some faces we hadn't seen in a while. We'll do another push in the new season but in the meantime please feel free to get in touch and/or come along for the Killie game. We'll post details of our plans on here, Twitter and Facebook.

We’ve got our final game of the season on Saturday (blessedly confirmed as such by the comeback against Hamilton). It’s an opportunity to kick back and relax, free from the pressure of play-off danger. We were in exactly the same situation last season against Partick Thistle and that’s got to rank as one of our best ever away days!

It’s also, like the Partick game last year, the annual Hawaiian themed-day - previously advertised here.

We’ve got a decent bunch of Central Staggies heading to the game from Edinburgh and Glasgow. I’ve detailed our plan for the day below so if anyone wants to join us – at any stage of the journey – please feel free. We’ll be distinguishable by the Hawaiian shirts and Ross County clobber, obviously.

10:04-10:49 – Haymarket to Glasgow Queen Street.
11:13-11:50 – Glasgow Central to Kilmarnock.
Straight to the Brass & Granite pub in Kilmarnock (less than 10 mins from the station and half way between there and the ground) in time for Hibs v Rangers at 12:00.
We’ll wine and dine there until it’s time to head to the ground, perhaps in time for a drink with the supporters bus folk at the Park Hotel if they’re heading there pre-match.

There’s no post-match plan. We’ll play that very much by ear, but it will probably involve going back to Glasgow at some point and beer. The first post-match train is at 17:27.

Gonna be a good one, regardless of the football.
Hopefully the football makes it a great one! Smile

Alhoa

As on of the originals that helped set this group up, it would be great to see alot of new faces join in on Saturday.

were a friendly bunch that enjoy following County Both Home and Away....more away however the trips up north are usually the best.

were keen to up our numbers and we see the same faces at away games that must be based in the central belt, so dont be afrraid to give us a shout. travelling in numbers is always much more fun. More numbers also opens up much cheaper group travel options for those based down here that would been keen on buses to home games.
No sacrifice no victory 

Great turnout on Saturday, despite us missing some regulars due to work/wedding commitments. Thanks to everyone that came along.

We ended up back at the Brass & Granite post-match and then at about half 6 decided to head back to Glasgow. We popped in to Mack's Bar right next door for one, despite the iron bars in the windows, and after discovering their astonishingly low prices we left 3 hours later! The Killie fans were really friendly and we'll definitely head back there next time.

After a brief foray in to the Crystal Palace back in Glasgow, the Edinburgh contingent managed to catch the 23:30 train back home. Quite a day out!

Following a number of queries recently, Spain has set us up with our own sub-forum so we can keep people in the loop about our plans.  If you're new to the concept of the Central Staggies, the first post in this thread (from 2015) sets the scene pretty well (if I do say so myself). 

Now this forum's here, we'll keep it up to date with travel details for upcoming games and any social events we organise.  We're always welcoming to new members and if you have any questions, feel free to ask away.