Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Edinburgh City vs Brora Rangers - Sat 25 April
Lightbulb 
On Saturday Brora Rangers are taking on Edinburgh City in the first leg of their SPFL play-off at Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh. A contingent of the Central Staggies who can't make it up to the County game vs Partick are heading along to support the Ross County Old Boys XI.

We did the same for the Scottish Cup earlier in the season which Brora won 3-2, although the Highlanders were far more dominant than the scoreline suggests. It promises to be an interesting encounter - some at Brora don't actually want to get promoted whereas Edinburgh are desperate to.

The winner of the tie will go on to play Montrose over two legs for a place in League 2.

By my count, Brora have six former County players in their ranks - Adam Porritt, Grant Munro, Joe Malin, Ross Tokely, Sid Mackay and, of course, Stuart Kettlewell.

If you'd like to come along with us and join in with a full rendition of A Team of Kettlewells as Brora fans look on, bemused, please feel free. We'll be in Safari Lounge from 12:00.

There were a few other County away day regulars at the game earlier in the season too, so if you don't want to associate with us reprobates, it's a fun day out regardless. Only £5 for adults and £2 for kids as well.

I spoke to Steven about the season he and the club have had a few weeks back.

At the time he had scored 54 goals and in doing so became the club's greatest ever goalscorer. He surpassed Tommy Reid who netted 52 times in one season in the 1960s.

He actually set himself the target of 50, which I thought was pretty bold. Mind you, he bagged 40 last season. Not bad for a naturally left-sided player.

For Brora to go the whole season unbeaten is very impressive. Fancied going to this one, but might have work to do - which is brutal.

Would love them to go up, as long as they can cope financially that is.

(04-22-2015, 02:20 PM)IDW16 Wrote: Would love them to go up, as long as they can cope financially that is.

Y'see, that's the interesting thing. I'm sure people have said the same thing about us over the years, but Brora's current level of performance isn't sustainable without the financial backing they receive, never mind all the travel and time that playing in League 2 would require.

It's a flawed system that said they have to participate in the play-offs. It sounded as if they'd have happily given it a miss to continue with short(er) journeys and being a big fish in a small pond. Their place could have been given to Turriff who would have jumped at the chance to go for promotion.

In that regard, as much as I'd love to see another Highland team in the senior setup, I won't be too disappointed if they lose. I'd rather it was Spartans than Edinburgh City they were up against though. They've got a great setup at Ainslie Park compared to the ramshackle Meadowbank Stadium. And cooler branding, obviously.

(04-22-2015, 02:35 PM)Forfinn Wrote: It's a flawed system that said they have to participate in the play-offs. It sounded as if they'd have happily given it a miss to continue with short(er) journeys and being a big fish in a small pond.

Ten-hour round trips to Annan and Berwick potentially await them should they gain promotion.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens.

What is the point of a pyramid system if you have a club (that is obviously playing at a level too high for their current league) that does not want to move on, and therefore potentially denying the chance for other clubs in their current league.

(04-22-2015, 05:40 PM)wemyss77 Wrote: What is the point of a pyramid system if you have a club (that is obviously playing at a level too high for their current league) that does not want to move on, and therefore potentially denying the chance for other clubs in their current league.

Wait, are we talking about the highland league still, or is this now about the Premiership....?!Tongue

A word of warning for anyone who is planning on attending - get there in good time. When we went to the cup game earlier in the season there were still 40 or so people queuing to get in when the game kicked off! Some folk missed the first goal as a result. I don't think City realised how many Brora fans would attend so didn't have enough turnstiles open.

It's a shame this match is on when County are playing as I may have gone.

Does anyone know when the other leg of this is scheduled for, or even the dates of the next round against Montrose?

2nd leg scheduled for next Sat 2 May in Brora.

(04-23-2015, 02:42 PM)SCUBASTEVE Wrote: 2nd leg scheduled for next Sat 2 May in Brora.

And IIRC, Sat 9 May is City/Brora v Montrose and Sat 16 May is Montrose v City/Brora.

Cheers for the info guys.

I thought i heard on the radio, whilst coming away from our pt match that the score was 1-1, is that right?

(04-25-2015, 10:08 PM)frankthetank Wrote: I thought i heard on the radio, whilst coming away from our pt match that the score was 1-1, is that right?

Yep

Decent enough game, worth the very reasonable £5 admission (good crowd of just over 900 too, with a fair contingent of Brora fans)
Brora dominated the early stages, creating a number of chances in the opening 15 minutes, but Edinburgh weathered the storm- the rest of the 1st half was fairly even. By half-time, though, the game was in need of a goal which duly arrived early in the 2nd half. A mix-up between Joe Malin and the Brora defence left Edinburgh's number 9, Ortega Demiran, with an empty net to tap into. This woke Brora from their slumber, and they equalised with about 15 minutes remaining. After that, both sides seemed content with the draw, neither of them wanting to risk losing

Brora can certainly play better than they did yesterday- indeed, both teams seemed a tad weighted down by the occasion. Brora will be favourites for Saturday's return leg, but one wouldn't rule out City pulling it off

One other observation from the game: Grant Munro hasn't half put on some weight since leaving us
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Will be at Dudgeon Park on Saturday hoping to watch the County Old Boys Club take a step towards the SPFL whilst listening on Sportsound to County taking a giant leap towards Premiership safety...

Well done Brora Rangers. When is the next game?
WDDDWWWWWWWWWDDDWDDDWWWWDWWDWD
CHAMPS
WWDWWDDDWDD
40 UNBEATEN

What was the score??

(05-03-2015, 04:02 AM)frankthetank Wrote: What was the score??
1-1, agg2-2, Brora won 4-2 on penalties with Kettlewell scoring the winner

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32570742

Good to see Ketts back in the League.

Brora 1 Montrose 0 after the first leg. Steven Mackay goal.

Second leg at Links Park Montrose on Saturday. A draw will suffice.