Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotland's national team
(06-24-2016, 02:50 PM)VanderDalgarno Wrote: Must we go with a Scottish manager? Look, for example, at the job Gianni de Biasi has done with Albania (albeit after some outrageously good fortune in qualifying)

Who mentioned Bertie Vogts!!

I think we were unlucky in the last campaign and could have easy gone through. I think Strachan has a mountain to get up when he took over and think she should be given another campaign to prove the doubters wrong.

Wales, N Ireland, and Ireland all through to the last 16 and don't think they are any better than us.

We get humbled by teams we should be beating far too often, that's where the important points are dropped. It doesn't matter if you bag a cheeky point against Germany if you're losing to Georgia etc. There's no point being the plucky underdog, nicking a point here and there when we're not winning the bread and butter games.

Fully agree. That is probably more down to the Scottish mentality (ever since I can remember) rather than the current manager though?

Have we ever lost to Iceland?

Leicester in the EPL and now Wales, Iceland & to an extent Italy in the Euro’s have shown what team spirit, organization and a clear plan can achieve. IMO its blown the myth of super star players out of the water, though for Wales Bale’s presence helps by influencing teams tactics & approach. IMO Iceland’s long term grassroots football model in particular is something Scotland should take note of and adapt. The fact we haven’t is just more proof that the Hampden elite are a clueless bunch of self important clueless Muppet’s.

(06-22-2016, 07:48 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Iceland through to the last 16 of the Euros. Population of 300,000. Brilliant stuff, their forward planning and attention to detail at grass roots level is paying off.

I've yet to see one newspaper have a big spread asking the tough question; why aren't Scotland at the Euros? That should be the ONLY story in Scottish football this summer. Scotland are drifting further and further behind the top teams, but nobody seems to care. The Scottish team and Scottish league are getting worse by the year. I still see very little emphasis on technical ability at first team or youth level. Everything is about how tough you, how big you are, how much you can run. Who was the last centre back Scotland produced who was really comfortable on the ball and whose passing split through the opposition? Who was the last Scottish centre midfielder who continually took the ball under pressure and never gave it away, but still passing through the opposition? For example, Scotland's whole idea on centre backs is "big and strong", whereas the majority of Europe look for centre backs as players comfortable on the ball, who can read the game very well and who can pass the ball through the lines. Scotland's centre backs are Gordon Greer and Grant Hanley.

Go and watch us next season, then go and watch a game at any level in Spain or Germany. It's night and day. The ball is barely on the ground in Scottish football, yet people are genuinely confused why attendances are terrible.

Barcelona under Pep Guardiola were the best team of all-time. But if they were Scottish, Puyol would be labeled "too small to be a centre back", Busquets "doesn't really do anything" and Messi would be left midfield in a 4-4-2. 

I wonder when Scottish football will realise it's not the 80s anymore and football has moved on.
Can't help but agree,look at Aberdeen and Hearts in Europe this week, yes they won ,but struggled against so called minor teams,but Scottish teams are in with them ,which tell its own story.

5 goals, 3 points and top of the group..............too early to book tickets to Russia   Tongue Angel

I've been quite critical of Strachan's teams of late, far too old and too many Scott Brown's in it (one was far too many) but credit where credit is due I really liked the shape and make up of that starting XI last night.
Not all of them would be my first pick but I liked it, Ritchie, Burke, Snoddie and Martin were inventive and looked to create things all night.

Patterson should have been our first choice right back a while ago imo, thought he fitted in well.

Any Staggie planning Slovakia next month? If so, let's meet for a beer.

Fox isn't called up. Disappointed with that.

It's disappointing Fox isn't included but I can understand why Hamilton has been included instead.

The third choice goalkeeper isn't getting anywhere near an actual game, but someone as young as Hamilton should benefit immeasurably from being around the set-up with a view to being a serious challenger in the future. As much as I like Fox, he's never going to be first choice for Scotland.

However, if one of the three goalkeepers selected dropped out I would be very disappointed if Fox didn't then get a call.

As I see it, our first 2 choices aren't exactly in sparkling form, one conceded 5 on his Hull debut and the other has conceded 10 in 2 European games?

(09-30-2016, 12:57 PM)Rocco Wrote: As I see it, our first 2 choices aren't exactly in sparkling form, one conceded 5 on his Hull debut and the other has conceded 10 in 2 European games?

And 2 of the 3 are now at the same club, guaranteeing that at least 1 of them (once McGregor is fit) won't be playing regularly
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(09-30-2016, 12:57 PM)Rocco Wrote: As I see it, our first 2 choices aren't exactly in sparkling form, one conceded 5 on his Hull debut and the other has conceded 10 in 2 European games?

Bit harsh seeing as Craig Gordon was an unused sub against Barca!!!!!!

(10-05-2016, 10:42 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: Bit harsh seeing as Craig Gordon was an unused sub against Barca!!!!!!

My bad, thought he'd played there then De Vries replaced him for the Ugly Sisters Derby

I think it's telling that nobody has posted in here after last nights result....

Very disappointed not to pick up a win, Lithuania didn't look all that threatening very often, but neither did we! Some baffling selection choices, Chris Martin (not that one...) starting up front when he is yet to score this season but the 2 back ups, Griffiths and Fletcher, have been. Also, Matt Ritchie on the left rather than on the right, cutting inside onto his left foot, you know the way he does for his club which got him selected for Scotland...

Heard on the radio that Strachan reckons the second half is the best we've played in a long time?! We need to win on Tuesday night, no doubt about it!

(10-09-2016, 02:49 PM)Rocco Wrote: I think it's telling that nobody has posted in here after last nights result....

Very disappointed not to pick up a win, Lithuania didn't look all that threatening very often, but neither did we! Some baffling selection choices, Chris Martin (not that one...) starting up front when he is yet to score this season but the 2 back ups, Griffiths and Fletcher, have been. Also, Matt Ritchie on the left rather than on the right, cutting inside onto his left foot, you know the way he does for his club which got him selected for Scotland...

Heard on the radio that Strachan reckons the second half is the best we've played in a long time?! We need to win on Tuesday night, no doubt about it!

Poor result of course. We really should have won that game. 19 attempts at goal and only scored once shows how poor/wasteful we were in front of goal.

Wasn't happy Gordon replaced Burke with Forrest. Forrest might be a decent player for Celtic but he's not good enough for Scotland. He's fat to inconsistent. He did nothing, apart from fail to hit the target from 12yds when he had the goal at his mercy. Don't remember him doing much else tbh!!!

Strachan is being clever when he said that the 2nd half is the best we've played. It does a couple of things 1. Builds the confidence of the players, and 2. Takes the focus off the players as the press and supporters have jumped on that statement. Well done wee Gordon I say!!!!

So, what now I wonder....

Having looked at the squad its just the usual. I would start with....

Gordon

Paterson Martin Hanley Wallace

Brown Fletcher

Burke Snodgrass Ritchie

Griffiths

Strachan won't start Griff though.