Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotland's national team
(10-14-2015, 08:35 AM)Iker Wrote: I think a lot of people are also underappreciating the fact Ireland picked up 4 points against Germany.

If Germany won both games against the Irish (which they should have), we would have finished third and Strachan would have done no wrong.

Strachan has had one full campaign. Give him the World Cup qualifiers and then take it from there.

People shouldn't expect a manager to suddenly come in and instantly revitalise the current crop of players we have. Look at how long Coleman and O'Neill have been in their respective jobs, at least a year longer than Strachan.

We also don't have the luxury of picking world class players (Wales, not Northern Ireland). If Mackay-Steven/Anya/whoever suddenly turned into the world's most expensive player, then we could give him a free role and work around that, but we do not have anything close to that and won't for at least 5-10 years.

Being worlds most expensive player or just simply being expensive Does NOT make you good player ,Tor Andri Flo comes to mind  but how your valued depends on who's throwing money about,

(10-14-2015, 03:59 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Being worlds most expensive player or just simply being expensive Does NOT make you good player ,Tor Andri Flo comes to mind  but how your valued depends on who's throwing money about,

Fully agree with that.

Let me rephrase my statement...

If Mackay-Steven/Anya/whoever suddenly turned into Gareth Bale, then we could give him a free role and work around that, but we do not have anything close to that and won't for at least 5-10 years.

(10-14-2015, 03:59 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Being worlds most expensive player or just simply being expensive Does NOT make you good player ,Tor Andri Flo comes to mind  but how your valued depends on who's throwing money about,

Tore Andre Flo was an exceptional player.  Not a £12million player, but a far too good for Scottish football.  If he had signed for £4million, he'd have been looked upon as a bargain.  So I completely take your point.

Scotland have one of the easiest qualifying groups for the next World Cup that I can remember.  England will win all their games, so Scotland should expect to finish above Slovenia and Slovakia.  

That said, we've had one of the easier Euro groups and failed to finish in the top three, so Strachan's on thin ice.  We shall see, but I reckon he's not long for the job.  Would be delighted to be proved wrong.

I think Strachan should stay, there is no one better. Scotland need to look at the mentality though, no matter who the opposition is in a group we are always one win away. If we had an easy group we would still have tripped ourselves up and just missed out. It is the same old script over and over.

Why haven't Scotland got any friendlies during this international break?

It seems really strange. Surely Strachan would want a few friendlies to start getting the team ready for next qualifying campaign? Also, to give young and new players more experience. I don't understand why we aren't having 1 or 2 friendlies.

(11-13-2015, 02:16 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Why haven't Scotland got any friendlies during this international break?

It seems really strange. Surely Strachan would want a few friendlies to start getting the team ready for next qualifying campaign? Also, to give young and new players more experience. I don't understand why we aren't having 1 or 2 friendlies.

You've got to be careful with friendlies not to screw up your FIFA ranking- you'll only gain anything if you beat a team ranked above you. Playing someone below you in the rankings will at best earn you minimal points, and could actually  harm your ranking if you don't win
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

Why is Strachan still our manager?

(06-17-2016, 12:33 AM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Why is Strachan still our manager?

Are you looking for a road into this well I have often wondered WHY

The SFA rewarded him with an extended contract after failing to even finish 3rd!!

What was the reason given, no-one else could do better/who would want the job! Pure apathy from the SFA and Tartan Army (of which I am a member).

(06-20-2016, 08:20 AM)frankthetank Wrote: The SFA rewarded him with an extended contract after failing to even finish 3rd!!

What was the reason given, no-one else could do better/who would want the job! Pure apathy from the SFA and Tartan Army (of which I am a member).

I've stepped away from tartan army long time ago still,some great people in there, but it was getting boring,and having to listen to a manager who just spoke in sarcastic sporadic bursts  
Anyway here's a thing who should we replace him with ---- just to set ball rolling I'll go fir big Eck
So let it begin don't start slagging people for their opinion or choice.  Mcoll    Na

Iceland through to the last 16 of the Euros. Population of 300,000. Brilliant stuff, their forward planning and attention to detail at grass roots level is paying off.

I've yet to see one newspaper have a big spread asking the tough question; why aren't Scotland at the Euros? That should be the ONLY story in Scottish football this summer. Scotland are drifting further and further behind the top teams, but nobody seems to care. The Scottish team and Scottish league are getting worse by the year. I still see very little emphasis on technical ability at first team or youth level. Everything is about how tough you, how big you are, how much you can run. Who was the last centre back Scotland produced who was really comfortable on the ball and whose passing split through the opposition? Who was the last Scottish centre midfielder who continually took the ball under pressure and never gave it away, but still passing through the opposition? For example, Scotland's whole idea on centre backs is "big and strong", whereas the majority of Europe look for centre backs as players comfortable on the ball, who can read the game very well and who can pass the ball through the lines. Scotland's centre backs are Gordon Greer and Grant Hanley.

Go and watch us next season, then go and watch a game at any level in Spain or Germany. It's night and day. The ball is barely on the ground in Scottish football, yet people are genuinely confused why attendances are terrible.

Barcelona under Pep Guardiola were the best team of all-time. But if they were Scottish, Puyol would be labeled "too small to be a centre back", Busquets "doesn't really do anything" and Messi would be left midfield in a 4-4-2. 

I wonder when Scottish football will realise it's not the 80s anymore and football has moved on.

(06-22-2016, 07:48 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: I've yet to see one newspaper have a big spread asking the tough question; why aren't Scotland at the Euros? That should be the ONLY story in Scottish football this summer. Scotland are drifting further and further behind the top teams, but nobody seems to care. 
The Scottish press is more interested in Joey Barton v Scott Brown  Huh 

Strachan should have been booted after we failed to qualify. Fresh approach needed before the world cup qualifiers start. Who, I don't know.

There have been a couple of small articles in papers quoting Strachan "we're better than some of the finalists" - of the games I've watched Scotland would struggle against any of the teams at the finals. I agree with Jailend Loyal, basic skills of players in Scotland are poor - as the old saying goes " for most Scottish players their second touch is a tackle".

(06-23-2016, 08:50 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: The Scottish press is more interested in Joey Barton v Scott Brown  Huh 

Strachan should have been booted after we failed to qualify. Fresh approach needed before the world cup qualifiers start. Who, I don't know.

Sir Alex and Walter Smith

(06-23-2016, 08:50 AM)StuartTaylor Wrote: The Scottish press is more interested in Joey Barton v Scott Brown  Huh 

Sir Alex and Walter Smith

I think even if we'd made the finals we would still end up embarrassed, since the other 4 'home nations' are through to the knockouts, I very much doubt Scotland would have managed this in the current state!

(06-23-2016, 08:36 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Sir Alex and Walter Smith

Because Walter Smith has a great track record of getting Scotland qualified for major tournaments.

I've always rated Steve Clarke as a top coach, he's not played or managed either of the [censored] cheeks, which is a plus imo.

He's coached and managed top players and i'd hope he would move us forward.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Sir Alex is still trousering upwards of £2m a year for his ambassadorial role at Man Utd- the Scotland job pays barely 1/10th of that
Steve Clarke's a decent shout, but he'd be off like a shot as soon as he got a whiff of an EPL job
Must we go with a Scottish manager? Look, for example, at the job Gianni de Biasi has done with Albania (albeit after some outrageously good fortune in qualifying)
"The heart of the club is the fan. The board and the chairman are custodians. The staff are transient. But the fan is there forever"

Roy Macgregor, April 2013

(06-23-2016, 08:36 PM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Sir Alex and Walter Smith

Is that the same Walter Smith who bailed out on Scotland when Rangers(in liquidation) came calling???