Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Scotland's national team
So we're playing Northern Ireland tonight, and then Gibraltar on Sunday. Anyone heading along to see them?

I can't get away from my work to go tonight and as I thought the tartan Army were boycotting the Gibraltar game I've arranged to have a long weekend away in Edinburgh so I'll not be at either game but the rest of the guys are going and it's a pretty full bus from what I've heard.

It'll be good to see the National team return to Hampden Big Grin

To start a bit of debate what would be your starting XI tonight and on Sunday?

Who do you think should be captain, Darren Fletcher or Scott Brown?

And who should start in goal, Marshall, McGregor or Gordon?

It'll be interesting to see this new lad Ritchie and see if he can take his form with Bournemouth into tonight match and I hope Jordan Rhodes plays as I think he's a natural finisher, just what we need.

Mick's in nets for them the night as well, two decent stops from him already.

Is that the killie striker magennes (no.21) starting for NI? Boydy had him in his backpocket last saturday, lets see what he does against Greer and Martin.

(03-25-2015, 09:01 PM)Comrie Wrote: Mick's in nets for them the night as well, two decent stops from him already.
He's been the standout player of the 1st half imo, with three really good saves.

Scotland looking totally dominant, NI sitting so deep with 8, 9 or even 10 men in their own box when we have possession!
S Fletcher should really have scored at least once before ht.

Ah well the goal might not have been the prettiest but at least the right team won.

If only we'd taken one of those early chances, then maybe NI might have tried to play a bit of football and we may have seen a better match.

£35 a ticket to see Scotland play Gibraltar, I'm surprised there's as many as 25k paying to get in tbh.

(03-29-2015, 06:46 PM)frankthetank Wrote: £35 a ticket to see Scotland play Gibraltar, I'm surprised there's as many as 25k paying to get in tbh.

Saw lots of regulars of tartan army writing into papers ,saying they are finishe
The crowd is boosted by. Ten thousand freebies to young ,woukd not be more sensible to lower prices ,than have to try boost the crowd with freebies
No loyalty to the tartan army ,Huh

A lot there would have bought there tickets as part of the "season ticket" package they now offer to the SSC, but it doesn't save you that much. In fact, it saves you less than the cost of your SSC membership anyway. I didn't renew at the start of this campaign because the prices and the benefit of the membership have gotten completely out of touch. That and the scheduling is a farce now, with only one Saturday game I'd struggle to get to any of them. If today's game had been £25 a ticket and on a Saturday afternoon it probably would have been near capacity.
.: Ours, is the Fury :.

(03-29-2015, 10:08 PM)Spain Wrote: A lot there would have bought there tickets as part of the "season ticket" package they now offer to the SSC, but it doesn't save you that much. In fact, it saves you less than the cost of your SSC membership anyway. I didn't renew at the start of this campaign because the prices and the benefit of the membership have gotten completely out of touch. That and the scheduling is a farce now, with only one Saturday game I'd struggle to get to any of them. If today's game had been £25 a ticket and on a Saturday afternoon it probably would have been near capacity.

Yes you are 100% correct on what you've posted,as one tartan army supporter said,not treated like supporters but customers, take or leave it. Sad days

What utter pi$h we played in Tbilisi, no argument the better team won imo

I'm still not sure what Strachan's plan A was, never mind which plan he/we were on for the last few minutes of painful injury time! Desperate wasn't as desperate a word to describe it  Angry

Surely we are now at the time for a change, we need to stop the policy of picking players by reputation, who are not even getting games for their club teams, and start picking players on form (whoever is) Mr Scotland manager, PLEASE! 

Congratulations to Norn Ireland and Wales BTW, great team performances by both nations, i with you all the best. Am I jealous, yes lol, fair play lads!! Smile

I have quite a serious agenda with Alan Hutton. He's useless.

(09-04-2015, 10:29 PM)IDW16 Wrote: I have quite a serious agenda with Alan Hutton. He's useless.

Agreed

Too many players last night who weren't match fit. Hutton, Mulgrew, Anya, Naismith and Fletcher all aren't playing regularly with their clubs and it showed. Too many players a yard off the pace, especially in the final third.

I felt we were too open, especially away from home with a team of so many players who weren't match fit. Naismith played as more of a second striker than a third centre midfielder. Georgia aren't a bad side, we only scraped a 1-0 win at home against them. I'd have preferred if Strachan had started McArthur in centre midfield along with Brown and Morrison, with Anya, Griffiths and Maloney as a front three. That would have given us a bit more solidarity in midfield and more pace up front, two things we lacked last night.

It's going to be extremely tough to qualify now, we'll probably need to take 4 points from the two home games against Germany and Poland.

(09-05-2015, 08:12 AM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Too many players last night who weren't match fit. Hutton, Mulgrew, Anya, Naismith and Fletcher all aren't playing regularly with their clubs and it showed. Too many players a yard off the pace, especially in the final third.

I felt we were too open, especially away from home with a team of so many players who weren't match fit. Naismith played as more of a second striker than a third centre midfielder. Georgia aren't a bad side, we only scraped a 1-0 win at home against them. I'd have preferred if Strachan had started McArthur in centre midfield along with Brown and Morrison, with Anya, Griffiths and Maloney as a front three. That would have given us a bit more solidarity in midfield and more pace up front, two things we lacked last night.

It's going to be extremely tough to qualify now, we'll probably need to take 4 points from the two home games against Germany and Poland.

Too many losers overpaid under achievers led by a Ginger !!!STRICHEN!! Not strachan .who cannot help himself from being sarcastic ,in which he calls wit!!  And mark mag here hee hee oe my goodness  he should be employed by !! Talk talk  !!  He could then maybe give Stuart B a all  a call about a ball,
It's true it's true as for Charlie mag who, who's finger was not on the !! Mutton !!! Played like a clown !! You know that Mr brown ran out of tricks ,and karate kicks,  ( I'm just being seriously kidding we have to laugh at ourselves the  one chance in years to qualify  !!! We blew it!!! What's new guys , 
Are there too many foreign players in our game,that are holding back Scottish youngsters ,,

(09-04-2015, 10:29 PM)IDW16 Wrote: I have quite a serious agenda with Alan Hutton. He's useless.

https://vine.co/v/OLtHTjWvUDd

#JustSaying

(09-05-2015, 09:18 AM)Ross shire buff Wrote: Too many losers overpaid under achievers led by a Ginger !!!STRICHEN!! Not strachan .who cannot help himself from being sarcastic ,in which he calls wit!!  And mark mag here hee hee oe my goodness  he should be employed by !! Talk talk  !!  He could then maybe give Stuart B a all  a call about a ball,
It's true it's true as for Charlie mag who, who's finger was not on the !! Mutton !!! Played like a clown !! You know that Mr brown ran out of tricks ,and karate kicks,  ( I'm just being seriously kidding we have to laugh at ourselves the  one chance in years to qualify  !!! We blew it!!! What's new guys , 
Are there too many foreign players in our game,that are holding back Scottish youngsters ,,
Press conference  the three stooges say, !! We live to fight another day !! 
Within our ranks there's harmony !! Watch us beat Germany 
Oe dear me they've lost the plot,at Georgia's goal !!! Not a shot!!
Elusions of grandeur they've got the lot, Dae you think maybe they are smoking pot
Chase them I say clear out the lot,,
Down on my knees I  ask for a win my god, as through my head I see !! Ken Dodd,,
I here A song again and again  three stooges singing  !! TheDiddymen!!! 
Oh we are the diddy men same old story yet again, face the facts we eyed coaches
Enough said enough oe them cockroaches,, !! I do apologise to the cockroaches?

Stevie Ferguson for Scotland manager IMO.

Was stunned at how bad we were, a win would have set us up nicely, and the only chance for some of these players to make a major championship in their careers, but nothing.

A tough group yes, but it will be galling to have to watch it next summer with Wales and probably N.Ireland there.

(09-05-2015, 08:12 AM)JailendLoyal Wrote: Georgia aren't a bad side, we only scraped a 1-0 win at home against them.

They actually play nice football at times when they have time on the ball.

Saba Kverkvelia will earn a good move for himself soon enough. Kept Anya nullified.

I think the warning signs are there guys -

When Fletcher celebrated scoring a hat-trick against some policemen & plumbers in the Gibraltar game - I feared. He should of comfortably scored 5 goals that game. Such a wasteful striker. Unless he finds club game time and form I never want to see him in a Scotland jersey again.

Alan Hutton as been living off a good season 5 years ago. Not fit, No pace. Terrible decisions. He doesn’t hide to be fair however in my happiest of moods he simply isn’t an international player.

Scott Brown has a fantastic engine. However he is a walking yellow card and flatters to create.

Mulgrew in fairness is not a central defender and in the air was out of his depth.

Attacking wise the one trick pony of Forrest leaves me angry why a player with a more diverse approach to attacking play like GMS for example doesn’t get a shout.

I appreciate Strachan staying loyal and building on the little quality he has, however a spice of hungry players with a point to prove would spur this sorry bunch.

We are below average failing in the basics and not playing well. We will be watching from the armchair next summer... Hang up the Glengarry guys and follow Wales.
Highlander29

Scotland vs Germany:

Poor judgement from McArthur for Germany's first goal, there should be more protection in front of the CBs though. All 3 of our centre midfielders were somehow caught ahead of the ball. With a team with Muller, Gotze and Ozil, they should never be allowed to run at your CBs. The deflection was lucky, but Muller shouldn't have got the opportunity and space to run at our two centre backs.

Unbelievable free kick by Maloney. There was nothing Neuer could do there apart from palm the ball right back in front of goal. Yes, the own goal was a little lucky, but the quality of the free kick forced Neuer to palm the ball into an extremely dangerous area. Maloney's positioning for Germany's second was very poor though. You have to keep your shape as best you can and just move across the pitch, but we completely lost our shape for Germany's second. I'm really not sure why Maloney ended up in the centre midfield position. The space Can had was ridiculous at international level and we got punished for that.

Wonderful technical ability from McArthur for our second goal. Germany looked suspect at set pieces all game despite being a fairly tall team. Germany failed to clear the ball and its superb technically from McArthur. Our two goals have come from great technical ability.

Very clever run by Muller for Germany's third, but too much space in front of the CBs again. Why was there no holding midfielder? Nobody tracking the run of Gundogan, nobody protecting the centre backs. Disappointing from the centre midfielders, another really avoidable goal IMO.

I think our biggest weakness in this qualifying has been how clever we are on the pitch. We just seem to make so many small mistakes on the pitch, especially in the defensive areas. I think last night's game against Germany really summed up a Strachan team. Full of passion and workrate, but not clever enough. Technically I think we're a good side. The likes of Maloney, Morrison and McArthur have very good technical ability. We've scored goals throughout the qualifying campaign - 2 goals away to Poland and 2 goals at home to Germany, for example. The Georgia game was the only game we haven't scored in. Defensively I just don't think we've been good and clever enough. If we had at least one top CB and a really good holding midfielder, I think it would be a different story. I'm just not sure we've got the players to be solid defensively in International football. Hanley and Martin are our two best centre backs and neither are close to being top quality. I like both Morrison and McArthur in centre midfield, really good passers, but we need a proper holding midfielder and Brown isn't that man.

It's not over yet, we could still make third place and the play-offs, even though it'll be very difficult.