Hi there, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Partick Thistle vs Ross County
After a great home win against Motherwell, we're now just 3 points behind St Mirren and Motherwell with 13 games left to play.

This weekend we're away to Patrick Thistle, who currently sit in 9th.

Patrick aren't in the best of form. They've only won 1 of their last 9 games and are coming off a run of 3 straight defeats.

Do we think McIntyre will name an unchanged team or have an extra man in midfield (4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1) as it's an away game?

I personally think McIntyre will go 4-4-2 again. I wouldn't be surprised if Meite came into the team though, probably for Boyd. Same midfield and forwards as the Motherwell game. I don't feel it's a game for an extra man in midfield, definitely think we should go for it like we did against Motherwell.

I really fancy our chances here. Patrick are on a bad run and the players will be confident after a great result against Motherwell.

Why are people so keen to drop Boydee. In the games he's played he's done well. Quinn is a RB playing at centre half and his positioning is suspect at times. This in turns pulls Boyd out of position and people point the finger at him. Quinn had a good game on Saturday and scored a good goal. So did Boyd and don't forget his 20yrd volley that the keeper tipped over his bar, what a goal that would have been!!!

Same back four should start against Partick but if change is needed then it shouldn't automatically be Boyd who goes IMO. :-)

3 central midfielders (so Kiss in for Curran, sitting in front of the back four) and Burgess in for Boyd. County need someone to deal with Lyle Taylor, so I don't see why it shouldn't be him.

It's a game we need to look at winning but a draw wouldn't be the worst result in the world.

St. Mirren play Aberdeen and Motherwell play Dundee.

(02-16-2015, 11:53 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: Why are people so keen to drop Boydee. In the games he's played he's done well. Quinn is a RB playing at centre half and his positioning is suspect at times. This in turns pulls Boyd out of position and people point the finger at him. Quinn had a good game on Saturday and scored a good goal. So did Boyd and don't forget his 20yrd volley that the keeper tipped over his bar, what a goal that would have been!!!

Same back four should start against Partick but if change is needed then it shouldn't automatically be Boyd who goes IMO. :-)

I think Boyd has played well in recent weeks, but I'm pretty certain Meite will start soon.

McIntyre really rates Quinn, he's captain at the moment too, so I can't see the manager dropping him.

Start the game the way they set-up for Celtic at Parkhead changing to a more aggressive formation as the game progresses. Frustrate Thistle and especially Taylor and we will take something out of this

No idea what to expect from Thistle, but they will see us as a target for three points, so they will be fired up for this one - we need to deploy a holding midfielder - probably Palazuelos for this one and maybe stick Miete in to the centre of defence. Whether it's Boyd or Quinn that drops out, we need to stop leaking stupid weak goals - do that, and we can then possibly snatch a point or even three.....
Supporter Liaison Officer 

Would go for

Brown
Fraser quinn meite/burgess reckord
Palazuelos
Gardyne Irvine woods de vita
Boyce

Very harsh on curran as he played well on Saturday but feel we will need palazuelos as it is an away game and we will probably be under more pressure than against motherwell
County till I die

If Curran is to be sacrificed for an extra midfielder then it's more likely to be Woods sitting and Kiss playing beside Irvine, with Palazuelos on the bench. In my opinion, judging on the recent trend.

It's worth noting that both of Motherwell's goals came from set pieces. Irvine and Woods actually protected the defence well on Saturday.

Is there a need for an extra holding midfielder against the team in 9th place who are in bad form?

If Curran was to drop out, I imagine it would be for an attacking midfielder (Sernas or Dingwall) rather than a defensive midfielder (Palazuelos or Kiss).

Personally think McIntyre will go 4-4-2 again, with Meite coming in for Boyd at CB.

(02-16-2015, 02:34 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: It's worth noting that both of Motherwell's goals came from set pieces. Irvine and Woods actually protected the defence well on Saturday.

Is there a need for an extra holding midfielder against the team in 9th place who are in bad form?

It's also worth noting the opportunities that Motherwell had to run at the defence due to the space that was behind Woods and Irvine. Which Motherwell passed up due to being not very good. As good as Woods was on the whole, I still have reservations about him being able to read the game, which is incompatible with the way that Irvine plays and why I think that they shouldn't always be inseparable (as much as the intention to lay down a consistent selection should be admired). It makes me more appreciative of how excellent Rocco Quinn is at knowing where and when he should move.

Probably. Thistle typically play a 4-2-3-1 system, with their attacking strength coming from players such as Kallum Higginbotham and Steven Lawless finding pockets of space 25 yards out. See the 1-3 loss at the start of last season and the 3-3 draw at Firhill last January. Thankfully, their manager has inexplicably benched Lawless while Higginbotham hasn't been the same since having an injury. If you could accurately predict their line-up then fair enough; I think it's probably better to be more conservative and spring late into the game, especially since Thistle concede so many late goals.

(02-16-2015, 02:50 PM)john@THHP Wrote: It's also worth noting the opportunities that Motherwell had to run at the defence due to the space that was behind Woods and Irvine. Which Motherwell passed up due to being not very good. As good as Woods was on the whole, I still have reservations about him being able to read the game, which is incompatible with the way that Irvine plays and why I think that they shouldn't always be inseparable (as much as the intention to lay down a consistent selection should be admired). It makes me more appreciative of how excellent Rocco Quinn is at knowing where and when he should move.

Probably. Thistle play a 4-2-3-1 system, with their attacking strength coming from players such as Kallum Higginbotham and Steven Lawless finding pockets of space 25 yards out. See the 1-3 loss at the start of last season and the 3-3 draw at Firhill last January. Thankfully, their manager has inexplicably benched Lawless while Higginbotham hasn't been the same since having an injury. If you could accurately predict their line-up then fair enough; I think it's probably better to be more conservative and spring late into the game, especially since Thistle concede so many late goals.

It's also worth noting in the 3 games we've won this season, we've started with 4 attacking players.

Home to Dundee, we played a 4-2-3-1 with Gardyne, Kiss, Cardle and Arquin.

Away to Kilmarnock, we played a 4-2-3-1 with Dingwall, Carey, Gardyne and Jervis.

Home to Motherwell, we played 4-4-2 with 2 attacking wingers (De Vita and Gardyne).

We've had some good draws by playing 3 in centre midfield this season, away to Celtic, ICT (twice) and Dundee, but I feel like this is a game we should try and win.

The two Partick players you mentioned, Higginbotham and Lawless, have scored 3 goals between them this season. Neither player even made it off the bench in their defeat to Dundee on Saturday. Is it worth changing the system we won with just to counter that?

A draw wouldn't be the worst result, but with the form Patrick are in, it's definitely a winnable game.

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Sernas or Dingwall replace Curran and revert to a 4-2-3-1 to be a little more cautious, but I predict we'll see 4-4-2 again.

(02-16-2015, 03:04 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: It's also worth noting in the 3 games we've won this season, we've started with 4 attacking players.

Away to Kilmarnock, we played a 4-2-3-1 with Dingwall, Carey, Gardyne and Jervis.

Home to Motherwell, we played 4-4-2 with 2 attacking wingers (De Vita and Gardyne).

We've had some good draws by playing 3 in centre midfield this season, away to Celtic, ICT (twice) and Dundee, but I feel like this is a game we should try and win.

The two Partick players you mentioned, Higginbotham and Lawless, have scored 3 goals between them this season. Neither player even made it off the bench in their defeat to Dundee on Saturday. Is it worth changing the system we won with just to counter that?

I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw, but with the form Patrick are in, it's definitely a winnable game.

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Sernas or Dingwall replace Curran and revert to a 4-2-3-1 to be a little more cautious, but I predict we'll see 4-4-2 again.

It's also worth noting that I think a 4-5-1 progressing into a more attacking 4-3-3 if required will be more sensible, and more likely on Saturday. 4-4-2 seems a bit foolhardly when playing away from home against someone who, despite being out of form, are still better than we have been this season. We could be more attacking against Motherwell because they're almost as bad as us.

Although you all seem to think you are managers, I think you'll find that there is only one manager and he picks the team Have any of these predictive teams ever been the same as the actual team? When you see the reaction to the team selection last Saturday and then the result, I don't think any of you should give up your day jobs!!!

(02-16-2015, 03:34 PM)Forfinn Wrote: It's also worth noting that I think a 4-5-1 progressing into a more attacking 4-3-3 if required will be more sensible, and more likely on Saturday. 4-4-2 seems a bit foolhardly when playing away from home against someone who, despite being out of form, are still better than we have been this season. We could be more attacking against Motherwell because they're almost as bad as us.

Maybe the fact that Gardyne is the common denominator is more significant?

(02-16-2015, 03:47 PM)Skippers Son Wrote: Although you all seem to think you are managers, I think you'll find that there is only one manager and he picks the team Have any of these predictive teams ever been the same as the actual team? When you see the reaction to the team selection last Saturday and then the result, I don't think any of you should give up your day jobs!!!

Maybe the fact that Gardyne is the common denominator is more significant?

Para 1: To play devil's advocate:given McIntyre has only won 3 games, maybe the fans who predicted a different team for all the games McIntyre didn't win were right?

More to the point, I reckon a large proportion of posts on football forums are opinions of tactics and team selections. Its one of the easier and more relevant ways to talk about football. Bit harsh to have a go at folk for it.

Para 2: More significant than what? Tactics and the quality of the opposition?
I'm pretty sure there are quite a few common denominators between all 3 of our wins...

After our wonderful win on Saturday, this is another vital game and one we can win. Despite Derek Adam's cringeworthy and ungenerous post match comments, Lyle Taylor tore us apart at Firhill last season so we will have to be wary of him.

However, for the second consecutive week we are playing a team lower in confidence and with worse recent form than us. Given that St Mirren are almost certainly on a hiding to nothing at Pittodrie and Motherwell have a tough encounter at Fir Park, the 'league of three' could be separated by goal difference only with the possibility of County being off the bottom and the real bonus of the added potential for that league of three to become a league of four.

If ever there was a time for us to have our first consecutive league victories of the season this is it....

(02-16-2015, 04:17 PM)Brora Boy Wrote: After our wonderful win on Saturday, this is another vital game and one we can win. Despite Derek Adam's cringeworthy and ungenerous post match comments, Lyle Taylor tore us apart at Firhill last season so we will have to be wary of him.

However, for the second consecutive week we are playing a team lower in confidence and with worse recent form than us. Given that St Mirren are almost certainly on a hiding to nothing at Pittodrie and Motherwell have a tough encounter at Fir Park, the 'league of three' could be separated by goal difference only with the possibility of County being off the bottom and the real bonus of the added potential for that league of three to become a league of four.

If ever there was a time for us to have our first consecutive league victories of the season this is it....

Yep, I was letting myself get a bit excited by this too! If we win, Motherwell lose, and there is a 5 goal swing between our game and St Mirren's, we could be 10th by close Saturday.

The "If we win" part is the hardest part, and the part that's preventing me getting too excited. But it does help show how important that win on Saturday really was (not like it needs reiterated ! ). It does seem pretty unlikely that all that will come to pass, but that its even possible is a pretty good feeling after the last few weeks.

(02-16-2015, 03:04 PM)JailendLoyal Wrote: It's also worth noting in the 3 games we've won this season, we've started with 4 attacking players.

A draw wouldn't be the worst result, but with the form Patrick are in, it's definitely a winnable game.

You make a good point there mate.

(02-16-2015, 11:53 AM)jamiepscot Wrote: Why are people so keen to drop Boydee. In the games he's played he's done well. Quinn is a RB playing at centre half and his positioning is suspect at times. This in turns pulls Boyd out of position and people point the finger at him. Quinn had a good game on Saturday and scored a good goal. So did Boyd and don't forget his 20yrd volley that the keeper tipped over his bar, what a goal that would have been!!!

Have to disagree based on Saturday i Like and respect Boyd but think we had weak moments on Saturday. Thought Quinn was very good in defence and was very solid and it was Reckord being pulled in a fair bit to cover for Boyd. I'd like to see the new guy or Burgess in there for Saturday if JM and BD think that will strengthen the back line. We played well going forward on Saturday and still a bit more nervous at the back.

That said perhaps changing Irvine for the new holding midfielder might give the back a bit more protection - didn't think he had his best game on Saturday so for me at least one of those changes to make us a bit more solid but hopefully with much of the attacking venom still there.

I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw, but with the form Patrick are in, it's definitely a winnable game.

I'm aware that the 4-2-3-1 was used in the first two wins and two strikers in the last. In the first win, Brittain sat deeper to allow Irvine to rattle cages (Brittain's best game of the season, he complemented Irvine well IMO); in the second win, Woods and Irvine didn't have much to contend with, Eremenko was well off the pace; and against Motherwell there was no threat from through the middle despite the obvious gaps.

County are at their best when they are positive and putting pressure on the opposition, rather than the other way around, you're absolutely correct. Of course there's a strong argument for playing 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 and putting the opponent on the back foot, even away from home against mediocre opposition.

My point is this: from Saturday's evidence and before that, I'm not sure that just Woods and Irvine could hold the centre of midfield on their own, outnumbered, against a team whose specific strengths are playing in the gaps behind them. Unless Woods and Irvine played purposefully deep, which goes against their own strengths.

I pre-empted your point in what you quoted, if you could predict the line-up to be the same that played Dundee then fair enough, full speed ahead. But I would expect at least one of Higginbotham and Lawless to start on Saturday as a reaction to the loss. And there's Ryan Stevenson too, a player who has made a career out of playing between the lines.

I would be more comfortable with the thought of two playing if it was different personnel (i.e. either or). But the reality is Irvine and Woods have played in every game that they have been available for and they're unlikely to be separated after a win.

County concede too headers in their own box, they can't afford to offer so many chances from outside the box as well.

(02-16-2015, 06:12 PM)john@THHP Wrote: I'm aware that the 4-2-3-1 was used in the first two wins and two strikers in the last.

All good points, but regrettably null and void for not beginning with "It's also worth noting".